Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me give the relevant card text:

Quote:
Sopek:
Add 1 [CREW] Upgrade slot to your Upgrade Bar.
Action: Choose 1 of your [CREW] Upgrades that was discarded from your ship on a previous round. Re-deploy that [CREW] Upgrade to your ship and place an Auxiliary Power Token beside your ship.

Lore:
Add 1 [CREW] Upgrade slot to your Upgrade Bar.
During the Roll Attack Dice step of the Combat Phase, you may discard 1 of your [Crew] Upgrades to gain +1 attack die for that attack.
You may assign any [TALENT] Upgrade to your ship, regardless of Faction Restriction, and you do not pay a Faction penalty when assigning any [TALENT] Upgrade to your ship.

Vulcan High Command:
Add 2 Upgrade slots to you Upgrade Bar. The additional Upgrade slots may be either [CREW] or [TECH] Upgrades. This Upgrade may only be purchased for a Vulcan Captain on a Vulcan Ship. If the Vulcan Captain Card is ever removed from your ship, discard this Upgrade and then discard Upgrades from your ship one at a time until all of your Upgrades are supported by your ship's Upgrade Bar.

Okay, so here is the scenario. I start with a non-Vulcan ship with 1 native crew slot. I take Lore as Captain and equip Vulcan High Command. These two cards add 3 additional crew slots for a total of 4 crew slots. I then put Sopek on the Reinforcement Sideboard.

During the game I want to switch my captain from Lore to Sopek. Vulcan high command says "If the Vulcan Captain is ever removed from your ship..." Lore is not a Vulcan Captain, so:

1. Would Vulcan High Command be discarded when Lore is removed from the ship to be replaced by Sopek?

1b. Would the fact that a Vulcan Captain is replacing Lore keep Vulcan High Command from being discarded, since the text is now only checking for the Vulcan Captain and not the Vulcan ship?

2. If VHC is discarded, would I discard 2 or 3 Crew Upgrades? In other words, does the text check for "supported" Upgrades before or after Sopek adds his Crew slot to the ship?

3. If my crew upgrades get discarded because VHC is discarded, can Sopek re-deploy them to my ship despite now lacking the crew slots to support them, since Sopek checks that the upgrade was discarded from the ship (and VHC specifies that they are discarded), but Sopek doesn't check if there are available crew slots?

EDIT: fixed mistake in Lore's text

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VHC with Lore is effectively overridden so that there are all the benefits and none of the usual penalties and restrictions. If Lore leaves, it will stay. If it's discarded the upgrades stay.

Now, the only thing I don't know is if you're on a Vulcan ship and Sopek is swapped in place of Lore, whether VHC checks again and sees Sopek and now is "locked in" to Sopek, via its text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'm gonna say:

1. As written, yeah, it looks like VHC is linked to that particular captain, not just his Vulcanness. So swapping in Sopek for Lore (or a different Vulcan captain) breaks VHC.

2. Personal opinion: just 2. I don't see any reason to think there's a check that occurs after Lore leaves but before Sopek arrives, or even that there's an interval in the middle of the exchange during which such a check could occur.

3. Seems to me that cards that put stuff on your ship do check for slots unless they specify otherwise. Contrast Sopek with Ass Tubes, Crosis, Superior Intellect, and Hijack, for example. (Though the sideboard itself may be an exception to this trend.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Lore protects the discard effect of losing VHC; he simply removes all faction-related requirements, which would be the Captain Faction Check and the Ship Faction Check. Because the 'if this card is discarded, do x' is not faction related, it would not be cased out by Lore's text.

Edit: Actually, no, reading that again, I guess you're right. It only cares if the discard is part of the Captain being lost, not the upgrade itself being lost. (Since normally you keep things that break your slots for Upgrades)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that the only time Lore ignores faction restrictions is when you "assign any [TALENT] upgrade to your ship." It doesn't say anything about ignoring faction restrictions during the game. So with regard to Vulcan High Command's text regarding the Vulcan Captain being removed from your ship, Lore is not a Vulcan Captain and the effect doesn't happen. Conversely, If I switch Sopek onto the ship instead of Lore, then go to switch them back, Sopek is a Vulcan Captain and the text should trigger, causing VHC and extra crew cards to be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris already ruled on Lore & VHC's drawback, and confirmed that since Lore is not a Vulcan captain, it does not apply. If you discard Lore or lose him for any reason, you still get to keep VHC.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16350392#16350392

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Chris already ruled on Lore & VHC's drawback, and confirmed that since Lore is not a Vulcan captain, it does not apply. If you discard Lore or lose him for any reason, you still get to keep VHC.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16350392#16350392

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that he had ruled on that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.