GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

MBT (First Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Red Storm Rising rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is a scenario I designed, and a huge number of pieces)

The first shots of World War Three have been fired.

With a thunderous sound, the Soviet army opened fire on the Germans, sending multiple divisions across the border. Leading the spearhead into German territory was the 170th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment.
First battalion was the tip of the spear, commanded by General Markovic. The General prepared his forces carefully, and launched an impressive volley of artillery to start off his attack. Several fire missions dropped a massive wall of smoke to cover the approach of his two Motorized Rifle companies and one Tank company. Further fire missions dropped multiple shells of high explosive payload on the river town of Vammershem.

Through the smoke, as he radioed for his forces to move forward, he spotted the silhouettes of 6 German Leopard tanks on the hillsides. They were distant, and the smoke was obscuring much, but he could still make them out. His tank gunners wouldn’t be able to shoot accurately at that long of range, so he hoped the Germans would also be hindered.
Three companies of Soviet hardware moved up to the river that stood as their first obstacle into Germany. His screen of smoke had worked the way he had hoped. There was no fire from the distant Leopards.
The first reports came in from Akula Company. They had made the outskirts of Vammershem. No fire encountered! That was good news. The reports indicated that it appeared the Germans were not going to make a defensive stand in that town. That was both good and bad. He didn’t have to fight for the first major town, but it meant he would have to fight more as he drove deeper into Germany.

The tank company, Kursk Company, were the lead element on the right flank. They had just made the first major bridge across the river.
Then the Germans hit. Artillery!

The fire mission was improved conventional munitions, and they wreaked havoc on the tanks. Two tanks suffered suppressive hindrance, causing them to button up and slow down. Worse, though, two tanks were taken out in the artillery barrage on the bridge! The Kursk Company commanding officer was eliminated in the barrage, as were TWO platoon leaders!

Victor Company, the Motorized Rifle company following the tanks, was outside of the impact zone, so they remain untouched. The leaderless platoons of tanks became scattered across the open prairie on the other side of the river. The company commander of Victor Company attempted to follow up the scattered tanks with a line of BMP-2s, acting as a backbone to the faltering armor.

General Markovic decided he needed to act sooner rather than later, and radioed for his air support, as well as calling on the 8th GA Air Assault to begin its deployment. He directed one company of the VDV to land on the far left flank and one company to land on the far right flank. It would take them a bit to move in, but when they did, he would have substantial reinforcements coming in on the flank of the German positions. Hopefully that would catch the Germans by surprise.
Then he received a report from one of his Mortar Sections that were on post in the central part of the front. They had spotted a German helicopter. It was flying low, nape of the Earth, so it likely wasn’t a spotter helo. That meant there were attack helicopters in the area. He sent out a radioed warning to his commanders to have the men be watching for air attacks.

Then Kursk Company called in again. A Leopard had opened up from a small village. One more tank was lost.

This was going to be a bloody fight. He hoped his artillery would help tip things in his favor. It would take time for the airborne to reach the combat zone, and until it did he would have to keep taking lumps. He just hoped his tanks would be cohesive enough to inflict some losses on the Germans.

He had heard the Germans went by a nickname. They called themselves the Hessian Tigers. So far, they were living up to their name. They were vicious.

His men would have to be stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimacePCH wrote:
...across the open prairie ...

...in Germany?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a big open prairie. About a kilometer across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hojnacki
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to post the actual scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might just post it in responses to this, since I seem to have such a difficult time getting anything approved by BGG. This review was the THIRD thing I had submitted for my scenario, and the previous two were declined by BGG. I was rather surprised the session report made it.

If you're on G+ you can find me and I'd be glad to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are telling the story from the Soviet point of view, I think your USSR commander is due for some political reeducation... what is this constant lapse of calling the Bundeswehr the "German Army"??? For the Soviets, the only real German army would be the NVA (East German army). At least, you should call them "West Germans"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha! True, Mr. Richards!

Though I had envisioned this AFTER reunification.

If General Markovic survives the battle, he will be re-educated!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.