Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions:

1) Going into the third scenario and I saw that if completed you get a ship feat. In the first scenario we fought a pirate ship henchman, in theory you can get control of the ship if you defeat it. Do I need to have the feat to be able to control the ship? My guess is yes. I did not seem to find anything in the rulebook that talks about ship feats. This means that I can only get ships that I have a feat on?

2) If a Ship is anchored, can the party un-anchor it, or vice versa? what would be the benefit of anchoring it or not (maybe this way we do not fight ships in case of being wreaked). Some weapons get bonuses if you are in a ship, so this might be a reason why to un-anchor a ship.

3) Plunder. is the only benefit of plunder is to get it at the end of the scenario? can we get some loot in middle of the scenario, maybe explore the ship? discard/banish a card from your hand for a plunder card.

4) The situation was like this. One character used some blessings which put him in near death situation. Her draw pile was depleted. And in her next turn she needed to draw 2 cards. Can other players go to her location and give her one card each. so that she is not forced to draw thus save her. (are this cards restricted only to items, or can we give her any card, maybe a blessing or an ally).

5) It seems obvious, but the oracle character, can discard a divine to get a blessing out from her discard pile (both are divine?)

6) It also seems obvious. The buccaneer, says it gets twice the adventure if you attack it with a swashbuckler trait (in fact this is for anything that adds to checks due to adventure). If I'm in the zero adventure, do I add zero (zero * two = zero)

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasnis wrote:
1) Going into the third scenario and I saw that if completed you get a ship feat. In the first scenario we fought a pirate ship henchman, in theory you can get control of the ship if you defeat it. Do I need to have the feat to be able to control the ship? My guess is yes. I did not seem to find anything in the rulebook that talks about ship feats. This means that I can only get ships that I have a feat on?

No. During a scenario, if a cards tells you that you can seize a ship (like the Enemy Ship henchman do) you can seize the ship if you defeat it, regardless of it being checked on your fleet card. (In fact, all the ships in the game might not eve appear on the fleet card.) But you don't get to keep it beyond the end of the scenario and you don't get to check it off on your fleet card for seizing it.

When you seize a ship, banish the ship you were using back to the box and transfer your plunder to your newly seized ship.

Jasnis wrote:
2) If a Ship is anchored, can the party un-anchor it, or vice versa? what would be the benefit of anchoring it or not (maybe this way we do not fight ships in case of being wreaked). Some weapons get bonuses if you are in a ship, so this might be a reason why to un-anchor a ship.

No. It has to stay anchored. Unless of course something on the scenario card might tell you otherwise. Not sure if that will ever happen or not though.

Jasnis wrote:
3) Plunder. is the only benefit of plunder is to get it at the end of the scenario? can we get some loot in middle of the scenario, maybe explore the ship? discard/banish a card from your hand for a plunder card.

It is pretty much extra cards for rebuilding your deck at the end of the scenario. Nothing allows you access to it before than, at least not via the rulebook. Of course, a scenario or future card might allow it, but nothing so far would allow it.

Jasnis wrote:
4) The situation was like this. One character used some blessings which put him in near death situation. Her draw pile was depleted. And in her next turn she needed to draw 2 cards. Can other players go to her location and give her one card each. so that she is not forced to draw thus save her. (are this cards restricted only to items, or can we give her any card, maybe a blessing or an ally).

Yes, they can give cards. It is a part of the turn, and it comes before moving, so you can't move and then give on the same turn. But if you were able to move on another characters turn (say, via a ship), then you would start your turn at the same location as the depleted character and would be able to give a card. You can give any kind of card to another character, even one they can't keep when rebuilding their deck. (i.e. Valeros can give Feiya a weapon.)

S&S Rulebook p32 wrote:
Turn Overview
Advance the blessings deck.
Give a card to another character at the same location (optional).
Move to another location (optional).
Explore the top card of the location deck (optional).
Try to close a location if it doesn’t have any cards (optional).
Reset your hand—apply end-of-turn effects, then discard any number
of cards; finally, discard down to or draw up to your hand size.
End your turn.

S&S Rulebook p8 wrote:
Give a Card: You may give 1 card from your hand to another player at your location. (Other players cannot give you cards on your turn.)

Jasnis wrote:
5) It seems obvious, but the oracle character, can discard a divine to get a blessing out from her discard pile (both are divine?)

Yes. Blessing have the divine trait. So do some spells. Other cards might as well. I can recall it being on some allies and items in RotR.

Jasnis wrote:
6) It also seems obvious. The buccaneer, says it gets twice the adventure if you attack it with a swashbuckler trait (in fact this is for anything that adds to checks due to adventure). If I'm in the zero adventure, do I add zero (zero * two = zero)

Yup. Though technically it isn't zero. It is B. These kind of things usually say "adventure deck number, if any." And B isn't a number. That is the "if any part". There is no Adventure Deck number. There is an Adventure Deck letter.

The one place I can really think the distinction between thinking "letters = zero" and what I described is with promo cards. After you start the third adventure, the rules specify that...

S&S Rulebook p10 wrote:
After you begin the adventure Tempest Rising, you may ignore the Basic trait restriction; instead, you may use any cards in the box from the base set and the Character Add-On Deck, as well as any cards from an adventure whose adventure deck number is at least 2 lower than the adventure you’re currently playing.

Notice it basically says B and C, then references decks that have numbers. You can never use this rule to get promo cards.

That was probably a lot more than you wanted know. And the short answer is "Yes. During the B adventure, the difficulty isn't increased."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Jasnis wrote:

Yes, they can give cards. It is a part of the turn, and it comes before moving, so you can't move and then give on the same turn. But if you were able to move on another characters turn (say, via a ship), then you would start your turn at the same location as the depleted character and would be able to give a card. You can give any kind of card to another character, even one they can't keep when rebuilding their deck. (i.e. Valeros can give Feiya a weapon.)

S&S Rulebook p32 wrote:
Turn Overview
Advance the blessings deck.
Give a card to another character at the same location (optional).
Move to another location (optional).
Explore the top card of the location deck (optional).
Try to close a location if it doesn’t have any cards (optional).
Reset your hand—apply end-of-turn effects, then discard any number
of cards; finally, discard down to or draw up to your hand size.
End your turn.

S&S Rulebook p8 wrote:
Give a Card: You may give 1 card from your hand to another player at your location. (Other players cannot give you cards on your turn.)

Just to clarify - if need be - the 'as usual' very clear and complete answer from Hawkmoon :
Yes you can give cards to another character in order to refill her hand enough so that when she gets to the point in her turn when she must reset her hand she will have fewer cards to draw (thus potentially saving her life).
However, unless you have a specific power/card/location/scenario... that allows it, this can only be done with these restrictions. You can only
- give ONE card...
- during YOUR turn ...
- BEFORE you move...
- to a character at YOUR location.
This means that one must cry for help on the turn BEFORE the one when she will have to draw. When she reaches her turn, it's too late.
It means also that someone that starts his turn at another location cannot come to give a card.
So there are basically only two ways you can give card on the turn BEFORE she will have to draw :
A) you already are on the same location
B) or you manage to be moved to her location BEFORE your own turn (example : by hoping on the ship when someoneelse moves from your location to her location).
Bottom line, the easiest if you know you'll have to draw on your NEXT turn, is to immediately move to a location with a lots of friends that can give you one card each when each of their turn come.
Other bottom line : unless you have a specific power/card/location/scenario..., you will at the maximum between your turn and the next turn receive one card per player.... Hopefully that'll be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New players often look askance at me when I describe how trading cards during a scenario is very restrictive, especially if they're already internalized the idea of free trading between scenarios.

It turns out to be tricky to design an open-trading rule that doesn't allow for things like "Let's all go to Shark Island, and pass around the one Sword of Shark Slaying that we have so everyone gets to use it." Within the restrictions we needed in order to keep item-trading from warping the game play, we went for a pretty thematic approach - you can give something away before you get too involved in your turn. This also has the upside (from a design standpoint) of making other kinds of trading powers viable in the game (for example, the Merchant ally and the Phantasmal Minion spell).

I hope that helps. Thanks for playing! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely Chad. The rule is nearly-perfect as it is, let's not change it unless we are 101% sure.

By the way I say nearly-perfect because even in the best designed evolutive game there is always some room for improvement. This said, the card trading as is it is great until we really find something better... Maybe for Base Set number 4 :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.