Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

This will probably seem very stupid to many/most regular players, but my X-Wing opponent and I are finding the pilot special abilities an unwelcome complication, not only because they add additional processes which (for us) slow down the game, but also because many of them feel dreadfully 'gamey'.

The issue is this: if we ignore the special abilities for now, does this throw the points values per pilot so far out of whack that it breaks any meaningful attempt to pull together opposing squadrons of roughly equal value? Because it would degrade the named pilots of *both* sides, not just one, I suspect not; but I'd like to hear what more experienced players think.

Second, while we are not using any upgrades for now, I also wonder whether it would be possible to introduce them gradually (the odd missile, targeting computer or droid), while continuing to ignore special pilot abilities.

Any advice gladly received!

Cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abilities are roughly 1-2 points higher. Most are 1, but some could say that is for the Elite Pilot Training slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrades are generally more complicated than pilot special abilities.

Those special abilities are worth points. You're just over paying for pilot skill and upgrade slots at this point.

You . . . picked the wrong game to buy.

(But really . . . remembering that wedge makes you rolls one less green die, or that luke gets a free eyeball change on defense or that backstabber rolls one more die if in the back . . . what makes that so much harder than remembering what happens when you're at range three, or on an asteroid or the rest of the rules?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not required to select named pilots. Just select the non-named pilots that do not have points cost for abilities (nor pilot skill).

(Or pick named pilots but ignore their abilities and use points cost and pilot skill value from the non-named pilots.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity do you usually play 100 point squads against each other? I would think it would be hard to make too many different squads that add up to close to 100 points without using some upgrades to fill in the gaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you're new to the game. Play with generic pilots for a while until you're more comfortable with how they work. Eventually I think you're going to find the pilots with pilot abilities to be very interesting and add depth to the game that, right now, might not be needed to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, today I used two '3' Ties, and three Tie Interceptors - a '5', a '7' and a '9' - for a total cost of 101 points.

My rebel opponent used two X-Wings, one Y-Wing and one B-Wing, with a mixture of skill ratings (don't recall which was which), also for a total of 101 points.

Again, we entirely ignored the named pilots' special abilities. Good fun - ultimately he won with one surviving B-Wing and a heavily damaged X-Wing. But the game still took 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
I'm guessing you're new to the game. Play with generic pilots for a while until you're more comfortable with how they work. Eventually I think you're going to find the pilots with pilot abilities to be very interesting and add depth to the game that, right now, might not be needed to enjoy it.

Thanks for that - and assuming you're the same Dave Graffam who designs all the card buildings, walls, textures, etc. etc. etc. that I've been avidly buying up on Wargames Vault, KUDOS TO YOU, SIR!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could try introducing pilot abilities/upgrades in a smaller scale, say 70 pts? Then you're dealing with less moving parts. Once you're getting used to that, you can bump back up to 100 pts. Abilities and upgrades are fantastically fun but feel free to add them at a pace you guys feel comfortable with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just take ships willy nilly you'll probably get a balanced, if not slightly boring game.

But when someone realizes that 8 tie fighters are an even better bargain in this format . . . poof.

if you're worried about time, set yourself a time limit. that's what tournaments have to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
DagobahDave wrote:

Thanks for that - and assuming you're the same Dave Graffam who designs all the card buildings, walls, textures, etc. etc. etc. that I've been avidly buying up on Wargames Vault, KUDOS TO YOU, SIR!!!

Yeah, that's me. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that's not a bad way to start learning the game. That is how our meta started long ago. We played unnamed pilots or ignored the pilot ability and then slowly added the abilities, droids, ordinance etc.

As for time. Set a timer if necessary, try playing without obstacles or on a smaller board until everyone is past that analysis paralysis stage.

The easiest way to scare people off from a game is to make it a miserable experience that they don't understand.

I enjoy most of the abilities and cards and they are usually worth the price I just don't appreciate Magic like combos but that being said FFG is usually very good about FAQ's which correct these quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.