GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Forbidden Desert» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Climber's ability even help other players "passively?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook is fairly clear here, but just want to verify this with other players:

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the rulebook says something like "other players on the same tile as the Climber cannot become buried," or something very much like that. Now, if the Climber and e.g. the Archeologist were both on a tile that became "buried" under two or more layers of sand, and the Climber was then moving himself to another tile, clearly the Climber could take the Archeologist with him. Fine. But the rule I quoted above implies further that even if the Archeologist wanted to just move *himself* off the tile, leaving the Climber behind, that nevertheless the Archeologist would be allowed to do even that because the Climber's presence alone means that the Archeologist cannot be buried and, therefore, can move off the tile to other unblocked tiles as he pleases. This would mean that the Climber's ability helps others even passively, without the Climber doing anything.

Is that how others play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boing Flip
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Look at it this way. If the climber is on the same tile as someone buried, then he essentially pulled them out of the dirt. If he stays there ( ie. his turn ended ) then he can tell the other adventurer how to climb down on their turn. If the climber leaves, the other adventure wont know how to get down the sand dune and thus get buried again trying to move. Or take a page for Mr. Leacock, the climber holds onto a rope and the other adventure uses it to climb off the dune

In simpler terms, the rules state if you are with the climber you cannot be buried. It doesn't allow you to move onto a tile the climber already climbed; aka, its still blocked for you. And he can't tell you how to navigate another blocked tile.

Hope that helped, and right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cajun wrote:
Look at it this way. If the climber is on the same tile as someone buried, then he essentially pulled them out of the dirt. If he stays there ( ie. his turn ended ) then he can tell the other adventurer how to climb down on their turn. If the climber leaves, the other adventure wont know how to get down the sand dune and thus get buried again trying to move. Or take a page for Mr. Leacock, the climber holds onto a rope and the other adventure uses it to climb off the dune

In simpler terms, the rules state if you are with the climber you cannot be buried. It doesn't allow you to move onto a tile the climber already climbed; aka, its still blocked for you. And he can't tell you how to navigate another blocked tile.

Hope that helped, and right

Thank you, and glad that you pointed out that another player cannot enter a blocked tile even if the Climber is already there. A good distinction to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.