GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » Variants

Subject: A quicker, better focused variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically the game should only end in Revolution or War. Having other ways to end the game confuses new players and takes the focus away from where it should be.

1) The game only ends when the War or Revolution track reaches 12
2) If game ends in War, all Restorationist lose, if Revolution all Loyalist lose. Lowest score no longer matter. Highest score remaining wins.
3) Loyalist Main agents treated same as Restorationist Main agent, i.e. they can be eliminated by assignation or madness.
4) Losing your Main agent reduces your hand size by 1 and you lose your main agent assassinate card if still present.
5) Base on the (VP) position of the higher of the Revolution or War Track the basic hand for all players is
5 when less than 4
6 when at 4 or higher
7 when at 9 or higher

This may be modified by loss of main agent or permanent effect cards. All players immediately draw or discard at the end of the player turn in which a track change affects hand size. This rule should speed up the end game quite a bit, possibility too much

And for players who like to have some defense against assassination;

6) Hiding: You may use a blocking action to hide one of your agents, place a blocking disk on them. While hidden they may not move, participate in an assassination, or count as influence. Their card may still be used, even bombs. You may unhide (unblock) one of you own agents as a free action, but this is still an action and would prevent from taking control. You may play a blocking card action to remove the block from enemy agent but only if the hidden agent is not in a city controlled by same player as the hidden agent.

What you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the game needs any changes except in places a clearer rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the clever theme, what makes this game noteworthy is exactly the part you propose to take out. Having multiple competing endgame triggers that players have to use as levers against each other, and uncertainty about their status as they try to deduce each other's secret roles IS the game.

I'm not even sure your variant will be shorter, since running up the war tracks is less often in the best interest of any given player (since it aids all the players in his faction the same), and you've also removed the sudden game end when a Restorationist is killed. Seems like your games will drag on longer, and be much less interesting as they do.

I grant that not everyone wants to play this game. But rather than mangling it with a variant like this, why not just pick a game you DO like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially paragraph 2 rips the heart out of this game. The idea that the party with the player having scored the fewest VPs is eliminated is a central part of the gameplay. You would be eliminating it and thus produce an entirely different gameplay as there is no reason any longer to care about who is on your team and who is not....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
bongoHerman wrote:
I don't think the game needs any changes except in places a clearer rule book.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the game would take longer if the only way of ending it was to push the War/Revolution tracks up. Our games that have ended that way have been long, drawn out affairs. Also, Revolution is much harder to achieve than War, given that running card piles out pushes War up but Revolution is only brought about by direct player action. These changes are unlikely to provide a quicker game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.