6 Posts

The Sorcerer's Cave» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question re fights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
Consider the following fight between an encountered Spectre and the players party consisting only of a Hero and Wizard. Recall that the Spectre can only be fought with magical Power not hand to hand Strength.

In the first round of the fight the Hero faces the Spectre hand to hand (to no effect) with the Wizard fighting in the background with Power only.

After rolling the die the Spectre wins.

Questions:

1. Does the Hero die because the Wizard can't be killed in the background?

2. What happens on the next turn if the player chooses to continue fighting?

3. Does the wizard fight from the background with no character in the frontline?

4. If the Wizard loses again what happens? He can't be killed in the background and there is no-one in front to be killed instead?

My thought is that in a fight where a side is using only Power those fighters should be considered to be on the frontline? So in this scenario in the first round if the Spectre wins then the Wizard dies and then if the Hero fails to retreat and has to fight another round he automatically dies and the party is eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Under Spectre it is stated: "Spectres are not of flesh and blood, so they cannot be fought hand-to-hand, except by a man, woman, or hero bearing the magic sword. Priests and wizards not otherwise engaged may fight spectres, using their magical power only. In any round of a fight in which a party does not have any magical power to pit against a spectre, the strongest creature in the party must be matched against the spectre, and is automatically slain."

The hero in your example can't take part in the fighting at all, so the wizard is in the front line, not in the background. If the spectre wins, the wizard dies. If the hero is then unable to retreat, he automatically dies in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I came across this thread by accident and don't recall seeing your reply at the time I posted Peter. Many thanks for the answer which makes good sense even though I haven't had the game out since then!

Do you know if anybody ever talked about making a Vassal mod for Sorcerer's Cave or Mystic Woods out of interest? I'm currently playing Betrayal at House on the Hill using Vassal which involves laying out room tiles so I imagine it is quite doable.

What is your position regarding copyright permission for such an undertaking should somebody happen along wanting to make a mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case before, Wizard vs Spectre*:
is the Wizard's score in that combat (7) or only his magic power counts(5)?

If we use a Man(3) with the Magic Sword(+1) vs Spectre*:
is the Man's score 4 or is it only 1 ?

*Spectre can only be fought with magic power

Thanks a lot and happy games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I'd play it as Wizard 5 and Man with Magic Sword as 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Strangers with magical power

If we fight a stranger having magical power (priest/wizard), does it affect on any way the combat?

I mean, if we fight a priest do we need to fight with another one having magical power, or we just look at the priest total figure (4)?

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.