Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Best players in the League - card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Krivosheev
United States
California
flag msg tools

OK, so in a 3 manager game we had only 2 committed to Blood Bowl tourney. As i get it from the rules the manager finished 2nd still gets runner-up payout - correct?

Then the question arise - i had a staff upgrade that reads : Scoreboard phase. Each time you win a matchup with at least 1 friendly star player without Freebooter ability gain 2 fans.
I read somewhere (sorry, forgot where) that runner-up is considered a winner as well. So do i get 2 fans as my only player there was a star player (not Freebooter)? O i should not as i did not win the tournament in this case (or in any case) as i had nobody as a loser and the only other manager - winner - obviously had more Star power than me?

(Funny that those 2 fans made me tie the whole game and i would be a winner by tie-breaker - "more improvements").

Also - just to clarify - magazine card "Salary Cap raised" where you "in turn order draw a star player" does not specify that you do it once during the first turn - though i think that's the case as otherwise round would be endless (as the card does not say discard other player from your hand). So we played it once - and everyone had 7 cards for the round. Is it correct?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There is only one winner, even at tournaments. 2nd place is the runner-up, and is not considered a winner.

2. "in turn order draw a star player" = Each manager (one after the another beginning with the starting manager and going clockwise) draws one star player before the first turn starts. That's it. You all will start with 7 players this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
English rulebook, page 16, under "abilities based on winning or losing":

At tournaments the winner and the runner-up are both considered winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For deciding who gets the payout:

page 16 of the rulebook wrote:

Tournament Payouts
There is no runner-up payout in games with only two managers. The winner collects the winner’s payout (next to the trophy), and the loser collects the “LOSE!” payout.
If a team is alone at a tournament during the Scoreboard phase, that team’s manager collects the winner’s payout and the loser’s payout – but not the runner-up’s payout.

This means the Runner up doesnt get the ability for winning as:

page 16 of the Rulebook wrote:

At tournaments, the winner and the runner-up are both considered winners. Managers who collect the “LOSE!” payout are considered losers.

As the second player collected the Lose payout they dont collect the win ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
English rulebook, page 16, under "abilities based on winning or losing":

At tournaments the winner and the runner-up are both considered winners.

I stand corrected! It seems I overlooked that rule, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Krivosheev
United States
California
flag msg tools
We played 3 managers. At that particular match-up/tourney there was only 2. So i think runner-up is a winner still.
As you cited rules for 2 manager game which is scored differently.

So it's managers playing, and at Blood Bowl tourney only 2 participated - i think the 2nd still gets runner-up payout and is considered a winner (pursuant to that page 16 clarification) for the purposes of "Best Players in the League" card.
Tell me if i am wrong and why,
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Argh, My game group has been playing this wrong... Somehow I even read the manual and missed it was for the two player variant.

I would then say both of the two players get the win ability etc.

(For Reference, we were playing that if 1 manager only entered a tournament in a 3+ game they got everything, but if 2 did, the winner got only the winner reward, and the other manager got the lose reward. It meant that if you were the final manager and you couldnt win the tournament you had to weigh up winning a highlight or reducing the tournament winners reward).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the player with possession of the ball wins ties in both Highlight games and Tournament games. In the case of a tournament game where the ball is at mid-field and the score is still tied, the 'Coin Holder' (first player) decides who wins ties. Then after that, it goes to most developed team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.