13 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Some Variant Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've just started playing this game, along with Dark City, and i really like the modularity and the deckbuilding. But it's way too easy really, which is a shame.

So how about:

1. Whenever there's a villain in the city, the active player must defeat him or endure a Mastermind master strike. This is in place of master strike cards.
-1a. if there is a villain at the edge of the city (about to escape, that is), then the active player must not only defeat a villain in the city - but that particular villain, or suffer the above consequence.

2. For solo play (my main mode), do not bother with 3 puny henchmen (they really are too easy), so either include 2 villain groups or a full team of henchmen. I'm undecided.

3. Do not shuffle the scheme twists into the deck, keep them separate. Instead when a villain escapes draw X scheme twists to put into play immediately where X= villain's VP value.

4. I don't like the 'reveal a (FACTION) card or suffer consequence' type of master strikes, probably just suffer the full consequence.

5. Likewise adding 1 Bystander (solo) just seems pointless.

What say you? I have no idea how balanced or broken this would make the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
To kick up the difficulty there are some ideas in the back of the rulebook.

1) Add Scheme Twists to the deck
2) Increase the Fight of the Mastermind. Iron Skull...10 fight rather than 7.
3) Start with Wounds in your starting deck.

Also not following marvel history with hero teams kicks up the difficulty too.
Magneto with no X-Men in the hero deck, Kingpin without a Marvel knight to keep him in check...etc.

I would guess an 80% - 90% win rate is the norm.

Loki and the Legacy Virus for a tough one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RangerRob24 wrote:
To kick up the difficulty there are some ideas in the back of the rulebook.

1) Add Scheme Twists to the deck
2) Increase the Fight of the Mastermind. Iron Skull...10 fight rather than 7.
3) Start with Wounds in your starting deck.

Also not following marvel history with hero teams kicks up the difficulty too.
Magneto with no X-Men in the hero deck, Kingpin without a Marvel knight to keep him in check...etc.

I would guess an 80% - 90% win rate is the norm.

Loki and the Legacy Virus for a tough one.

Yeah but forcing me to not play the X Men against Magneto has a way to make Magneto tougher is disappointing.

Yes there are ways to improve things, that's what i mean by the modularity of the game.

The problem is creating an experience that's not just 'make the numbers larger' as a way of increasing difficulty, but forcing the player to make more strategic choices beyond the deckbuilding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
2. For solo play (my main mode), do not bother with 3 puny henchmen (they really are too easy), so either include 2 villain groups or a full team of henchmen. I'm undecided.

Keep the 3 henchmen. Replacing them with a full group or villain group extends the game, and the main pressure point in solo is the fact that you only have a limited number of turns to beat the mastermind. Extending that by 5+ turns (even with harder villains) just gives you more time.

If you really want it to be hard, remove them (and the bystander) and watch what that does to your clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TravelSized wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:

Keep the 3 henchmen. Replacing them with a full group or villain group extends the game, and the main pressure point in solo is the fact that you only have a limited number of turns to beat the mastermind. Extending that by 5+ turns (even with harder villains) just gives you more time.

If you really want it to be hard, remove them (and the bystander) and watch what that does to your clock.

Maybe use two groups of villains and more twists, or, whenever the mastermind is attacked the hero's must first draw another villain card?

Remember i'm advocating a villain deck with no master strikes or scheme twists; the twists come into play when a villain escapes.

I get the point about the clock. The 1 bystander card, though, is just pointless.

I will have to test this variant. But i feel the city element is ineffectual - once you've got your deck built the villain deck is no threat beyond drawing scheme twists, so giving the player(s) more to focus on foces them to choose how they play rather than just build a deck, fight the mastermind 4 times, win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
The down side with your plan is that many times a Villain may never escape the city. Thus never triggering a Twist or Strike.

You can look at the stats for the last Legendary Solo League. The vast majority of the matches had 0 villains escape.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R_p2y4PY8ZGeE_2xzo0h...

One option you may like that kicks up the difficulty and makes the city more interactive are the City Event cards that Drashia created.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14128007#14128007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RangerRob24 wrote:
The down side with your plan is that many times a Villain may never escape the city. Thus never triggering a Twist or Strike.

You can look at the stats for the last Legendary Solo League. The vast majority of the matches had 0 villains escape.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R_p2y4PY8ZGeE_2xzo0h...

One option you may like that kicks up the difficulty and makes the city more interactive are the City Event cards that Drashia created.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14128007#14128007
Villains don't leave the city as it is, that's the problem. The city may well be too big. It's just not a threat.

Perhaps the player has to fight a villain, if present, or either: take a master strike/draw another villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Skyzero's solo variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-rule...

I only play solo, & this is the only way I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmb
Or you could try adding cards to the city Legendary Encounters style.
You add the cards face down and then have to expend fight to reveal them.

Bridge and Streets would be 2\\\
Rooftops and Bank would be 3\\\
Sewers would be 4\\\

After you spend the fight you flip card face up. If it has an ambush effect then perform it. If it's a master strike then perform it and if it's a scheme twist perform it. If it's a bystander closest face up enemy to villain deck captures them.

If they make it all the way through the city face down then you would flip them face up. Then you would perform their ambush effect then their escape effect. If it's a master strike or scheme twist do the required effect. If it's a bystander mastermind captures them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I will look into that thanks.

Also, what about the 'reveal (FACTION) card to prevent...' that's too easy as well. How about if it was KO that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
I will look into that thanks.

Also, what about the 'reveal (FACTION) card to prevent...' that's too easy as well. How about if it was KO that card?

You know that you're under no obligation to reveal cards to prevent anything, right?

For example if you're asked to reveal an X-man hero or gain a wound you could just not reveal anything and take the wound. This is even stated on page 17 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
AHewlett wrote:
Or you could try adding cards to the city Legendary Encounters style.
You add the cards face down and then have to expend fight to reveal them.

Bridge and Streets would be 2\\\
Rooftops and Bank would be 3\\\
Sewers would be 4\\\

After you spend the fight you flip card face up. If it has an ambush effect then perform it. If it's a master strike then perform it and if it's a scheme twist perform it. If it's a bystander closest face up enemy to villain deck captures them.

If they make it all the way through the city face down then you would flip them face up. Then you would perform their ambush effect then their escape effect. If it's a master strike or scheme twist do the required effect. If it's a bystander mastermind captures them.

I just tried something like that. It was quite interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Here's an idea for a Scheme-less game, solo.

Take 8 Scheme twists and place one on each space except the Sewers, then place 3 more from the leftmost space, and the final card on the left space (which would have 3 cards).

Put 2 villain groups together and 3 henchmen. Put master strikes and bystanders in as normal.

Each scheme twist adds 1 to the attack of the villain on that space.

When 5 villains escape, you lose.

At the end of the turn, the player can KO one hero card he played that turn in return for enduring a master strike.

After defeating a villain, the player may endure a master strike and remove one scheme twist card from that space.

play as normal otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.