Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago,if my memory serves me right,there came out a rule set for simple Squad Leader;does anyone know where I can download this set of rules somewhere on the net?Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This has been attempted a few times, including in some magazines. You could google around, though you may not find what you remember. Panzerfaust, a independent wargaming periodical, had a series called "Retro ASL", but you won't find that on the web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Andrew said is correct. You might be thinking of the "Retro" rules: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15081/retro-tactical-wwii...

I might also suggest Valor & Victory. It is a WWII game very similar to Squad Leader, but a lot more streamlined and typically shorter play time:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28452/valor-victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If there are other SL simplifications around, I look forward to seeing them.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was thinking about One-Page Bulge recently. It's a decent wargame, worth playing, plenty of bulge flavor. The big bulge games are better, but some are not much better, and the ones that are significantly better require a *lot* more rules and space counters and time. OPB is just really efficient.

I'm wondering if the same treatment could be given to Squad Leader. If you dropped portage points and crazy artillery procedures could you put a set of rules together that put a great WW2 squad level game on the table with rules that filled just the two sides of one page?

I'd try, except that I have lots to do including writing some other rules. Plus, the Squad Leader rules aren't that complex, even if they did bear some unwieldy progeny.

But I'm keenly interested in where this thread goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe,does this very nicely ,but to my mind(the big story of WW2)it lacks something very important, "TANKS!";if the scale was a little different,more historical scenarios could have been made;and the heavy card play makes the game somewhat quirky,I lost games because I couldn't get the right cards----but it still comes back to TANKS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic infantry combat in Retro is 5 pages (2.5 pages letter size).
It has no rules for LOS, and there gaps that you are expected to fill in with common sense. The full 14 (8 letter) pages has tanks, artillery, snipers and so on.
Subjectively, it feels like Squad Leader, and you can use SL or ASL counters, I have used it with Fire Team.
That's the closest thing I'm aware of.

@Andrew, You could probably squeeze the 5 half Retro pages onto one double sided sheet, if you allow "use your good judgement" for the exceptions. You do have to buy the rules mail order. It would be nice if Minden games offered a brutally edited download for free or 2 bucks, but they probably won't.

Edit: Retro is in print: http://minden_games.homestead.com/Retro4.html
$17 well spent for me.

Valor and Victory is good too.

Very good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a few issues of Panzerfaust and they're a very god value. No reason for them to give away the store. I don't have all the issues that make up Retro ASL, though. I have a vague recollection that they published it collected separately, but who knows if it's in print.

I may have to look at that material and try and figure out how different Retro ASL is from SL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your postings and input,guys;when I get time I think I'II do some searching around on the net,if I find something I'II post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, do post what you find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.