GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » General

Subject: Playing as Mastermind and Protagonist. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Gordo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just got this game and have yet to "crack the plastic" and I've tried to research this question without running into spoilers, so if this has been answered, please direct me to the source.

Does having been a Mastermind at all give you some 'inside' knowledge when being a Protagonist in other scenarios?

(Re-phrased for clarity) Are the scenarios separate enough that if I Masterminded say scenario #1, that I could play as Protagonist in any other scenario other than #1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilgordo wrote:
Ok, I just got this game and have yet to "crack the plastic" and I've tried to research this question without running into spoilers, so if this has been answered, please direct me to the source.

Does having been a Mastermind at all give you some 'inside' knowledge when being a Protagonist in other scenarios?

(Re-phrased for clarity) Are the scenarios separate enough that if I Masterminded say scenario #1, that I could play as Protagonist in any other scenario other than #1?

The answer is yes. Sure, you'll have a better understanding about how the mastermind plays, but it won't spoil in any way the other scripts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Gordo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
evilgordo wrote:

The answer is yes. Sure, you'll have a better understanding about how the mastermind plays, but it won't spoil in any way the other scripts.

Thanks for the prompt reply. That was the answer I was leaning towards, but it's good to have verification.

So, am I understanding that the "preferred" experience is to first play as the Protagonist? If so, this creates an odd paradox of sorts, well, not really, but someone has to be a Mastermind, right? How much of the experience is being sacrificed by starting as the Mastermind?

This was sorta the reasoning behind my initial question, I'm thinking that I'll have to be the first Mastermind for our group to get the ball rolling, but I was hoping to at least experience a scenario as one of the Protagonists later if this game gets any traction with the rest of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilgordo wrote:

So, am I understanding that the "preferred" experience is to first play as the Protagonist? If so, this creates an odd paradox of sorts, well, not really, but someone has to be a Mastermind, right? How much of the experience is being sacrificed by starting as the Mastermind?

This was sorta the reasoning behind my initial question, I'm thinking that I'll have to be the first Mastermind for our group to get the ball rolling, but I was hoping to at least experience a scenario as one of the Protagonists later if this game gets any traction with the rest of the group.

Well, there is an easy solution to your problem, at least with the first script. Play it as a protagonist here on BGG in PBF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand of the game, it's also relatively easy to make new scenarios "on the fly". Assuming you're using the First Steps scenario outline, all the mastermind has to do is pick a few characters to use, pick a few tragedies and culprits, then select a main plot and subplot and assign the roles from them to characters. Not sure how easy it is to balance it, but for just learning to play a mastermind against players that have already seen the first few scripts it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, the protagonists gets a list of all possible plots, subplots, roles, and incidents that the script can possibly use, and they know every detail about how those things work.

The script is basically a combination of these elements. As I understand it, there are no "surprises" in the script. The protagonists know all of the options that are available in creating the script - they just don't know which ones were actually chosen.

Everyone understand the template and structure of the script, but only the mastermind knows the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.