Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many games I'd like to buy or put on my Christmas list, so I need to start prioritizing! Which of these should be at the absolute top of my list? Which should I wait on? If you want to get really crazy, feel free to order them all.

Smash Up
King of Tokyo
Shadows Over Camelot
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Fluxx 4.0
Lord of Waterdeep
Dixit
Tsuro
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Resistance Avalon
Love Letter

Thanks for any guidance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo and Resistance Avalon are both party type games and kind of serve the same purpose. Of those two, Resistance Avalon is far better as players are involved the entire time and there is no elimination. But, on the other hand, One Night Ultimate Werewolf is also on your list. Hmmm. IMO, you may not need both Avalon and Werewolf. Werewolf is much shorter and probably easier to get into. Avalon takes longer but may have more replay value. So, do want a quick deduction game, or a slightly more complex and longer deduction game? (I must admit that I just do not care for King of Tokyo at all. I do not like player elimination and the game tends to drag beyond what is reasonable for a game of this weight.)

I would put Ticket to Ride close to the top, but I think I would recommend the Europe map over the US map.

You do not need Forbidden Island AND Pandemic since the mechanics of both games are very similar. Island is just a lighter version of Pandemic really. My suggestion is scrap them both off the list and get Forbidden Desert (Forbidden Desert) instead. Its complexity is between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance Avalon
7 wonders
Shadows over Camelot
Pandemic or forbidden island (save money if you don't want to buy on the brink ever)
Waterdeep
Ticket to ride
Tsuro
Love letter (so cheap and versatile, you should have it)

This gives you a variety of different group games, coops, mechanics, good times.

I agree with Europe map being better plus the 1912 expansion is available, not sure I've seen 1910 in awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Lords of Waterdeep
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
7 Wonders
Resistance Avalon
Shadows over Camelot

Replace Forbidden Island with Forbidden Desert

Dump Fluxx

Don't really know where to put rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Ticket to Ride, what maps the Euro map superior to the American one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Castle Panic? I think that's originally what I was thinking of when I added Shadows Over Camelot...but the latter is actually the better game, right? At least that's what reviews/lists are telling me.

Why is Forbidden Desert so preferred?

Also:

Alhambra
Cash N Guns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtacular wrote:
What about Castle Panic? I think that's originally what I was thinking of when I added Shadows Over Camelot...but the latter is actually the better game, right? At least that's what reviews/lists are telling me.

Why is Forbidden Desert so preferred?

Also:

Alhambra
Cash N Guns

I don't think Shadows and Castle Panic are really comparable. Player count is a consideration. IMO, Shadows isn't worth playing with less than 4 because there won't be a traitor. Castle Panic can play 1-6. However, Castle Panic really needs the Wizard's Tower expansion to be good. Otherwise, it's too easy and will be played out pretty quickly. Castle Panic is better for playing with kids, since it doesn't have the social deduction/traitor aspect to deal with.

Personally, I prefer Flash Point: Fire Rescue over Pandemic and Forbidden Island. It doesn't feel as solvable. You might want to check it out, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtacular wrote:
For Ticket to Ride, what maps the Euro map superior to the American one?

I own both the 10th Anniversary USA and the Europe games. Even with the updated art and fancy little trains, I personally find the USA map just boring to look at, with few interesting routes.

Europe introduces ferries and tunnels, making some routes harder to build (but often shorter), and the optional stations which can help players meet their tickets by co-opting opponents' lines. Some people find this too "easy", so that's up to you. For me, it's mostly aesthetic and game mechanic (just more to play with in the Europe map). I do also use the 1912 expansion only for the Big City destination tickets, which make the Europe map "tighter" as it increases competition for destinations.

1910 is still available for original TTR. I bought it to use the train cards to save grubbiness on my Europe ones. It also comes with some alternative destination tickets for USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billtacular wrote:
There are so many games I'd like to buy or put on my Christmas list, so I need to start prioritizing! Which of these should be at the absolute top of my list? Which should I wait on? If you want to get really crazy, feel free to order them all.

Smash Up
King of Tokyo

Shadows Over Camelot
Fluxx 4.0
Lord of Waterdeep
Dixit
Tsuro
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Resistance Avalon
Love Letter

Thanks for any guidance!

I don't want the games that I've crossed out, and I own the others, so don't order any of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hansel
United States
Spencer
IA
flag msg tools
I like giving recommendations but it's tough without knowing your tastes. I have learned the hard way what my tastes are. The hard way is spending a lot of money on well received games just to find out that they don't fit your tastes.

I have yet to find a group that enjoys The Resistance because they are not in to social deduction games.I'm sure it's a great game if you enjoy that type of game.

On the other hand some people on this thread love The Resistance and do not like King of Tokyo. My game group loves King of Tokyo. An alternative may be to put King of New York on your list. It takes what King of Tokyo does and expands it.

Of the games that you have on your list, 7 Wonders is my favorite. It's not a gateway game as you might expect because the drafting mechanic, the multiple ways to score, and the symbols throw off newcomers. But it's great because there is little to no down time. 7 Wonders may not be for everyone because there is not a lot of player interaction.

My only piece of advice would be to pin down your tastes and ignore some of the ratings. It will save you a lot of time and money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Hockley
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I'll take a stab (based on my preferences...)I tend to like lighter weight "family" games.

The musts for me would be:
Alhambra-easy to learn, fun to play, great tile game with a really nice spatial element.
Dixit-great for creative types. A big hit with non gamers for me.
Smash Up- this is very much a love it or hate it game. I love the theme, and I have fun with the silly combinations. At its heart, it is a card combo game, so if that's your thing and you like the crazy theme I highly recommend it.
Ticket to Ride: Europe- I feel that the Europe map has more to do with connecting your routes. In original America, you can win by just collecting big point routes and ignoring your tickets, which, in my mind, goes against the spirit and point of the Ticket to Ride games. YMMV and it's just my opinion, plus the added stations make it a little friendlier.

Fluxx is great if you want a mindless filler. Played with the right group it is quick and fun, but it's incredibly hard to put together any sort of strategy which is off-putting.

I don't like Resistance, Tsuro,Lords of Waterdeep or Werewolf.
I have not played Love Letter and nothing about it grabs me. I have not played Shadows

I bought into the hype on Forbidden Desert but ended up hating it. I have not played Island and only played Pandemic a few times with "eh" results. Maybe co-ops just aren't my thing.

7 Wonders also fell flat. I feel that there are much better drafting games out there, like Fairy Tale or Among the Stars, but then again I really like a spatial element or building something in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked these ones as they have a good amount of variety, without doubling up too much:

Dice Rolling / Take That:
King of Tokyo

Worker Placement:
Lord of Waterdeep

Large group / Party game:
Dixit

Set Collection:
Ticket to Ride

Co-op:
Pandemic

Card Drafting:
7 Wonders

Large group / social deduction
Resistance Avalon

Filler:
Love Letter

They're also all great gateway games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo was on my list of maybe, but decided not to go for it. It may be fun if that's interesting to you. It looks intriguing.

I bought Shadows over Camelot and the expansion, and have not yet played it. It looks very interesting to me, but haven't gotten my group to play it yet. I think I will like it.

I bought Ticket to Ride, and while I like it, I think the digital version is better and my family or group seems uninterested in it. This is one I may regret buying.

The others I know little to nothing a couple of them slid by my lists a couple of times but didn't make any list: Lord of Waterdeep, Forbidden Island, 7 Wonders (tho this almost made my list but decided on The Pillars of the Earth instead, better reviews I trust and like)

Not sure what kind of gamer you are. Or your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheeseviking wrote:
Fluxx is great if you want a mindless filler. Played with the right group it is quick and fun, but it's incredibly hard to put together any sort of strategy which is off-putting.

There is strategy in Fluxx, but it comes from having played the game a couple of times and knowing which combinations are available for winning. My wife and I enjoy this for the somewhat mindless filler it is, and there is definitely method to the madness as we mess with the rules of the game and each other's cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

I didn't really specify what kind of gamer I am because so far I have liked a pretty wide range of game types. My group (and I) love Avalon, but I also really enjoy stuff like Settlers, 7 Wonders, etc. Played Waterdeep once and really liked it.

The one thing I haven't really tried yet is a cooperative board game, so I'd like to eventually pick up one. Just need to decide between Pandemic, Shadows, etc.

Dixit would mainly be to draw my wife and her creative family into board game nights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.