GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Showdown: Board Gaming vs Computer Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, Roger Hobden writes
Mallet wrote:
If you need to use a computer all day long, you will be less tempted to want to stare at a computer during your rest periods.

That's also why I stopped using my Kindle, and have reverted back to paper books for everything non-work related.

Consulting computer files and scientific articles in pdf form all week long is more then enough "computer stuff" in my present life ...

Is that true for you too?

Do you play computer games just as much as board games, or do you find yourself favoring one or the other? And does the work you do affect your choice?

Why do you mainly do one kind of gaming or the other?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a programmer so I spent 8-9 hours a day in front of a screen and I don't play nearly as many video games as I used to, but that's more that there just aren't as many games as I *enjoy* as I used to. I still find some that I like but not nearly the amount. I also play less computer games because I would prefer spending time playing with my family, which leads to:

Board games have filled that missing gap to a degree, but the main reason they have had a larger presence in life lately because of the personal interaction with my family. A lot of computer/video games coming out lately that are billed as multiplayer are for playing with/against other people on the internet, not in the same room. The games that do have local multiplayer still get played a lot in our house.

So to sum up:
-Not true for me
-Favoring board games at the moment
-Work has zero effect
-BG for interaction over less personal C/VG
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After work, I spend about 90% of my time in front of a computer. If I'm at home, I spend 90% of my time in front of my computer. Sooooo, nope.

I play computer games more than board games, just because there's less opportunity to play board games with others. If I had a choice, I'd rather play board games.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play practically no computer games these days. That's mainly due to a lack of time, not interest. Used to play all the time before the kids came along. Now it's a major challenge to fit computer games in with raising kids, grading papers, house maintenance and housework, and keeping the wife happy.

Board games count as spending quality time with the kids.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a programmer that spends significantly less time playing video games than I used to. I strongly favour board games. Part of that change is because I'm tired of staring at a screen for the entire day and want a break from it. The big hit again video games for me is that I tend to enjoy certain types of video games and nothing has come out that captures my interest; instead, it's just the same tired old iterations of generic shoot series X. I love board games because of the interaction with other players. I don't have to put up with some pre-teen kid screaming profanities at me so they can feel better about themselves while playing. It's also something that my wife and I really enjoy doing together and spending time with her is what I'd prefer. I still play the occasional video game and become obsessive about them when something really catches my interest but they're becoming increasingly rare.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiselphane wrote:
I am a programmer so I spent 8-9 hours a day in front of a screen and I don't play nearly as many video games as I used to, but that's more that there just aren't as many games as I *enjoy* as I used to. I still find some that I like but not nearly the amount. I also play less computer games because I would prefer spending time playing with my family, which leads to:

Board games have filled that missing gap to a degree, but the main reason they have had a larger presence in life lately because of the personal interaction with my family. A lot of computer/video games coming out lately that are billed as multiplayer are for playing with/against other people on the internet, not in the same room. The games that do have local multiplayer still get played a lot in our house.

So to sum up:
-Not true for me
-Favoring board games at the moment
-Work has zero effect
-BG for interaction over less personal C/VG


Exactly and precisely this. In fact, I had to check to see if I didn't secretly have an alter-ego writing on my behalf and without my knowledge. ;-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
I disagree with the quote entirely. A computer, Kindle, phone, etc. is merely the medium through which the information or entertainment is given. When I was in law school I read thousands of pages of cases and I could not wait to curl up for the night in bed with a book. I stared at the computer screen for hours a day researching cases and a quick game of StarCraft was always a welcome distraction on the weekends.

Further, what work-based activity is analogous to board gaming? I can understand working on the PC and then gaming on the PC or working on the Kindle and then reading on the Kindle, but in what job would you be staring at a Descent board all day long so that you would be turned off from gaming?

I don't buy the quoted argument at all.


Sometimes the medium does matter. My work doesn't involve looking at a computer screen, but it does involve spending hours every day on a bicycle. Now, working on a bicycle is pretty much nothing like a leisurely ride around the neighborhood or even to the next (few) town(s) over - things that I used to enjoy very much - but just sitting on that thing so often has made me pretty much stop using the bicycle outside of work except when I really need to. I'll sometimes even walk to the store instead of riding just so I don't have to get on the bicycle. Obviously everyone is different.

Also, I'm confused what you're even asking about re the Descent board? I don't see anything in the OP quote about board games at all. It says working on the computer can make you less interested in playing on the computer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very accurate for me. My habits changed dramatically as I worked more at the PC during the day (and moved less) and after I got married.

In my old job I used the PC a ton but I also had periods of a lot of movement (physically deploying network gear).

In my new job I'm a spreadsheet wizard. I don't touch gear and I could easily work 8-10 hours without any physical activity.

Prior to being married I played MMOs with my then girlfriend. After we got married it seemed silly to be in the same house planning in different rooms.

Board games solve most of those issues. The rest is solved by some walks. In either event, usually when I'm home, I avoid computers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played video games since I was about 6 and my mother loves telling the story of me running around the table panicking when I was even younger watching my dad play lemmings on the Amiga.

I have only board games in the last 3 years but it has completely replaced video games to me which is disappointing.

I have been jaded with triple a games for years and the latest gamergate saga has finished it for me. Unlike most who now claim gaming is great (mostly mid 90's kids) I've seen all of the PC age of gaming and I can only say it is now a shadow of itself pandering to the budgets and bottom line of big business instead of the gamer.

Board games are still made with love. Vidya is reformed trash
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like many others, work on computers all day.

I prefer board games as I like to see my opponent. I like to talk to my friends face to face. I looooooove talking trash. devil

I play video games when I have no one to play board games with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play computer games these days but I spend a fair amount of time playing board games on this computer. Not sure exactly of the reason but I think it's mainly because I like my rules explicit.

Edit: Jellyfish put their finger on it better. I like transparency!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always been a social thing for me - video games or board games.

A few years ago, it was easier to play video games with friends. We were new to the area we lived in so all of our friends lived far enough away that getting together regularly wasn't easy, but we had no problem getting together on Xbox Live every night to play games.

Then, life started changing for everybody and schedules didn't mesh as well so video games took a backseat. We met some new friends, plus some old friends moved to the same area as us. Suddenly, it made more sense to actually get together and do something. Board games worked perfectly since I already had a collection I had been neglecting.

Now, it's just routine for us - "Oh, it's Friday, I bet so and so will want to come over to play" type of deal. The face to face interaction is something that can't be topped with video games - and the main reason board games win out now. Will that always be the case? Hard to say, but as long as I have people willing to play board games with me, I don't see it changing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the manual rules enforcement and total transparency of mechanism that board gaming provide and computer gaming does not. It is funny that for some the automated rules enforcement of computer games is considered an advantage of the medium and for me it is a disadvantage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maitreya wrote:
It's always been a social thing for me - video games or board games.

For me too--but in exactly the opposite way.

Computer games didn't come along until I was about thirty. I spent my youth loving games but hardly ever finding anyone to play them with. The hell of it was that I didn't even really want to play games with the people I ended up playing them with; I just had to talk them into playing so that the games would work. Either that or settle for playing solitaire.

When PC games hit the scene, it was a dream come true for me. From then on, I could play any games I wanted to, any time I wanted to, for as long as I wanted to--without ever having to get anyone else to play. I started out playing chess and go on the computer, and then I got into CRPGs, Civilization, and much more. It was gaming heaven, as far as I was concerned.

I never got into real-time games, however. Hence, most of the video games that are out today hold no interest for me.

Nor do I care in the least about multiplayer options in video games. (From my perspective, that brings back the problem I was so glad PC games relieved me of in the first place.)

As to the question of too much time on the computer and wanting to unplug, I think I've finally succumbed to the inevitable. For years I struggled to break myself of the computer habit because I figured it must be bad for me in various ways. Natural is better. But the darned things became better, cheaper, and smaller--and now I'd be lost without the smartphone (pocket computer) I carry around all the time.

I play several games on my phone every lunch hour, and I play games on the PC every weekday evening. Sometimes I play board wargames solo, but not very often anymore. Only about once a year do I play games with other people. When I do, it's OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

Computer gaming is so much more convenient and suitable for me that I wonder why I continue to even give board games any thought anymore.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
I really enjoy the manual rules enforcement and total transparency of mechanism that board gaming provide and computer gaming does not. It is funny that for some the automated rules enforcement of computer games is considered an advantage of the medium and for me it is a disadvantage.

I see it as both an advantage and a disadvantage. Often I prefer to play traditional board games (chess, backgammon, etc.) on the computer instead of designed-for-computer games. That way I get both the transparency and the convenience of playing on the computer.

Some designed-for-computer games are so complex that it'd be overwhelming to have to learn all the rules and understand entirely how things work. In those cases, I'm glad enough that so much is hidden "under the hood." Saves me the burden of having to struggle through it all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Patrick Carroll wrote:
In another thread, Roger Hobden writes
Mallet wrote:
If you need to use a computer all day long, you will be less tempted to want to stare at a computer during your rest periods.

That's also why I stopped using my Kindle, and have reverted back to paper books for everything non-work related.

Consulting computer files and scientific articles in pdf form all week long is more then enough "computer stuff" in my present life ...


Is that true for you too?


Not at all.

I work at a desk with a computer all day. And then when I get home I get on a computer and work on personal projects, often well into the night.

Quote:
Do you play computer games just as much as board games, or do you find yourself favoring one or the other? And does the work you do affect your choice?


I hardly play video/computer games at all. Occasionally I'll use them as a dead period for the back of my head to work out a problem I've been mulling on, but that's not really playing for the game's sake.

Quote:
Why do you mainly do one kind of gaming or the other?


I play board games because they express more interesting problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I out grew the computer game community and also find board games to be much more mentally stimulating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I play board games because they express more interesting problems.

Wayne LaBanca wrote:
Nope. I out grew the computer game community and also find board games to be much more mentally stimulating.

OK, you two (and others of like mind)--what about games like computer chess, computer bridge, computer go?

If you play those (and many other games like them) on the computer, even against a strong AI opponent, aren't you dealing with "interesting problems" and finding the experience "mentally stimulating"?

When I ask about board gaming vs computer gaming, I'm talking about ALL board games and ALL computer games, not just Five Tribes and Angry Birds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found a boardgame that scratches my Red Dead Redemption itch yet, so I still get my V.G.s in on occassion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Patrick Carroll wrote:
OK, you two (and others of like mind)--what about games like computer chess, computer bridge, computer go?

If you play those (and many other games like them) on the computer, even against a strong AI opponent, aren't you dealing with "interesting problems" and finding the experience "mentally stimulating"?


I'd say yes but for the detail that I don't play any 2-player games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.