Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is more about hiding information to prevent AP, more than hiding to bring up a memory game. I think some of my friends will get locked thinking about every possible future outcome if they could see exactly which cubes remains.

And more than replacing the bags, I see some future in one app (or even some custom physical tracker...but I see it will more difficult to create) to track your cubes, for those who wants to access that information fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
someotherguy wrote:
I don't believe there is currently a rule that allows or disallows players from inspecting the cubes in their bag, and I think there needs to be one. Personally, I would make a house rule that players can never look at the cubes in another players' bag, but players can look in their own bag at any time (excepting, of course, that they must randomize the cubes just prior to drawing). What colors you have remaining is important, and I pretty much despise forcing players to memorize any information that they could just track or check.

If there was an easy way to randomly select cubes, I would play with all cubes exposed in front of each player and not used the bags at all. Whenever you think about forcing players to memorize stuff, you should ask yourself: is this game about making clever tactical and strategic choices, or is this a game about memorizing cube colors?

It was a though call to make.

We usually (and most of our playtesters agree) let players look at their own bag contect, except when drawing cubes, of course. And not to other players bag (but it's allowed to request "how many cubes are left in your bag?").

It's really something that we felt it was better for each gaming group to agree upon on their own, but for sure I would not recomment to let any player inspect the bag of other players, to avoid a lot of AP.

Memory should not pay a role in the game, unless your gaming group decides so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you could try playing with a cup in front of you (look at the pearl cups in Abyss, but many bowls and cups will work). Then, its open and revealed, but you look away and mix it around when you are drawing to randomize it.
Does that work for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Alternatively, you could try playing with a cup in front of you (look at the pearl cups in Abyss, but many bowls and cups will work). Then, its open and revealed, but you look away and mix it around when you are drawing to randomize it.
Does that work for you?

We tried that option during playtest. It increased AP, but apart from that it works as good as with the bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.