Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of Agricola so I wasn't really excited about playing Le Havre. The two things I'd heard about it are that it's long and fiddly. When my friend Ben suggested it I agreed because it's his favorite game and he's about to embark on a two-year church mission and thus, a long drought of board game playing.

Set up took about 15 minutes and I could see that the fiddly part was indeed going to be accurate.

Ben did an excellent job with the rules explanation. This really isn't that complex of a game. I had to ask questions throughout the game, but it was mostly questions like "I need brick, what building let's me get brick?"

The game is really not complex. You have two choices on your turn...take some resources of use a building. There is a nice card that reminds you what you can do as well. Still, I was pretty lost with what I should do. The complexity comes in knowing how to make the moving parts work together to maximize your score. There's definitely a little puzzle aspect to this game.

I ended up going for a shipping strategy, although I only ended up shipping once. I bought three ships, but I never really had the energy to ship goods. I had tons of cattle and went with converting them to meat to get hides and then converting the hides to leather to get money.

Ben's brother was late to get ships and was struggling with food the entire game. He spent a lot of actions getting fish and smoking them, so he wasn't really able to ever get anything going.

The final score:

Ben - 225
Me - 176
John - 93

I had 120 points in cash...the rest from buildings. Ben built tons of buildings throughout the game and that's where he got most his points. I had only built five buildings and the ships, which hurt. Ben said that he's won before with so few buildings, but it's hard to believe.

What a great game. I loved it. I am sad I haven't played this sooner...I can't stop thinking about what I might have done to score higher (although I was told 176 is a pretty decent score, esp for the first time playing). The length wasn't too bad at all...about two hours or so. I think I made it longer than it needed to be by my indecision on a few turns. It's super fiddly though...almost to a distraction.

I can't wait to add this game to my collection and introduce it to my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Ganancial
Philippines
flag msg tools
Click to view this gamer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happened then? Are you able to buy the game Le Havre? Where did you go to your 2 year church mission? Any boardgames you played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
You did great for your first game. I played a three player game where definitely one but maybe both of my opponents had played before and I got stomped really badly.

Awesome game regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razzmonid wrote:
So what happened then? Are you able to buy the game Le Havre? Where did you go to your 2 year church mission? Any boardgames you played?

I ended up buying the game and have played it several times since. It's in my all-time top five favorite games. I'll only play with three players though (maybe two). I've tried it with four and it just wasn't as much fun as you sometimes get one action in a turn. Also, it adds 30+ minutes. I can't even imagine playing with five players.

My friend Ben went to Ecuador for his mission. He's still there...hopefully when he comes home we'll schedule a massive game weekend so he can catch up on all the games he's missed while he's been gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.