GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Hard to win with Gudanna? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played through the two tutorials and one of the "real" scenarios (don't recall the name of it right now but it uses pre-built starter figures as armies). So far, the Gudanna have lost every time to the Durani. The primary reason is due to the Fire Ram having +30 to hit bonus as well as the additional range by camping on a hill. Because the Gudanna have to move all the way across the map (also, stopping along the way to gain mana) and the fact that the Devil Djinn takes forever to move (especially when Winged Preserver reduces his move to 2) everyone has taken damage by the time melee engagement happens. I lose either the Sand Lion or the Dune Viper pretty quickly due to focus fire and then I can't catch up the rest of the game.

Am I doing something wrong strategically? I'm thinking of banking mana so that I can use the Ancient ability that grants more movement but still, I'm getting pot shots from Fire Ram while I'm sitting on the mana wells! And, their Ancient spells seem a lot more beneficial, especially the rapid cooldown.

Also, is there any place that I can get a printout of each figs' stats? I know that I can access it in the app but I'm sort of old school and want to have a cheat sheet of all the abilities, knights and Ancient Ones, especially for making armies.

BTW, I have ordered the other two armies so maybe that will mitigate the seeming imbalance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:
So I've played through the two tutorials and one of the "real" scenarios (don't recall the name of it right now but it uses pre-built starter figures as armies). So far, the Gudanna have lost every time to the Durani. The primary reason is due to the Fire Ram having +30 to hit bonus as well as the additional range by camping on a hill. Because the Gudanna have to move all the way across the map (also, stopping along the way to gain mana) and the fact that the Devil Djinn takes forever to move (especially when Winged Preserver reduces his move to 2) everyone has taken damage by the time melee engagement happens. I lose either the Sand Lion or the Dune Viper pretty quickly due to focus fire and then I can't catch up the rest of the game.

I generally use the Sand Viper to close in on the Ram. The Viper is fast and can make it across them map if you willing to spend the action points to push him. The Lion is going to die... it's just how it is. But hopefully you can tie up the Winged Preserver for a round or two before he does, taking the heat off of the Djinn to move up.

The other thing to do is try to gain the mana (with the Djinn usually) to start using your curses to mess with the Ram.

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong strategically? I'm thinking of banking mana so that I can use the Ancient ability that grants more movement but still, I'm getting pot shots from Fire Ram while I'm sitting on the mana wells! And, their Ancient spells seem a lot more beneficial, especially the rapid cooldown.

Against a camped Ram, you don't really have time to sit and collect mana (unless you have the Ram tied up). Grab it for a turn and move on if you need to. Like I said, the Lion is going down and you'll get some back when he does.

Quote:
Also, is there any place that I can get a printout of each figs' stats? I know that I can access it in the app but I'm sort of old school and want to have a cheat sheet of all the abilities, knights and Ancient Ones, especially for making armies.

For the Knights and Ancient Ones, no. There is a user that has made a spreadsheet that I posted here, but it's out of date since the last update. He's working on it again and I'll repost it once he gets it updated.

Quote:
BTW, I have ordered the other two armies so maybe that will mitigate the seeming imbalance?

The Ram is just a tough nut to crack if he's left alone. The trick is getting to him. I think the Viper is the best shot at that. I'm about 50/50 with those two Arcanum and find them fairly well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
in my plays i've been trying to leverage the dune viper's passive evasion in open areas and the sand lion's warsprite cover bonus by hiding it in the middle water square then sell out to rush the ram down. usually the ram will get a shot or two off but none will be favorable and when things start to go south the djinn shows up.

additionally the dune viper and devil djinn have both melee and ranged while the harpy is melee only and the ram is ranged only. i usually try to work that into some advantage as well. if the lion engages the ram it will hinder its AP with the breakaway penalty while if the viper takes on the harpy it can dart in with slippery strike and then dart away taxing the harpy's AP if it wants to engage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo D
msg tools
+1 on the advice already given.
Dont let them firerams alone. They're lonely and need a hug, and a bite ..and a hamstring.

Gudanna is all about the movement and their cheater Djinns.

Take a look at the "new" knights. Sure the ones with obvious damage abilities are nice but the the guys and gal that make you move are SEXY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kael West
msg tools
mb
Echoing what's already been said - but I tend to charge my warsprites to the Fireram as quickly as possible. I know I'm gonna lose them, but it's worth it to get rid of that damage machine. I run a Gudanna/Urugal army, so it's typically a Sand Lion and Horned Blight making the run. I also take The Water-Bringer (Water-Giver? Dunno, don't have the app or my cards handy) and curse the region the Ram is sitting on fairly quickly to force him to move.

So far I'm 3-0 with my Gudanna/Urugal force against my father running a Durani/Zikia. They've been incredibly close games, though.

Oh, and the Carrion Raptor makes quick work of a Fireram as well - but I find him a lot more useful chasing down enemy Titans (his Paralyzing ranged attack is moderate, his AoE/Lifesteal melee is good, and Skewer is a massive 40 damage for 1 AP).

All anecdotal, but I hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

For the Knights and Ancient Ones, no. There is a user that has made a spreadsheet that I posted here, but it's out of date since the last update. He's working on it again and I'll repost it once he gets it updated.

And the file was sent to me and I just posted it, so the link above is updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips. I played again and was able to win, although barely. Rushed the Ram to engage it and knock it out of commission but took some time to take it out.

Got the other two armies as well and working on different combos. I'm liking the Urugal with the Gudanna.

Is there any way to get the relic cards from the Gudanna and Durani sets without sinking another $50? I'm liking those relic cards a lot, especially Bone Gate Totem getting in 2 free attacks. Just utterly destroyed an opponent with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumyong wrote:

Is there any way to get the relic cards from the Gudanna and Durani sets without sinking another $50?

Nope. They only come in the Arcanum packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in.
I have been playing Durani out of the box and was winning against Gudanna out of the box every time.
The Fire Ram was the key piece in every battle.
I thought that Gudanna was underpowered at best, broken at worst.
Then I switched sides.
I saw what didn't work for them and changed tactics.
So far, Gudanna has been undefeated against Durani.
Now, I'm no tactical master or anything, I just found that there are synergies between the units and a deeper level to this game then I first thought.

Things I have learned:
Gudanna is a hit and run, move, move, move army.
Never travel alone.
Vipers and Lions work well together.
Your Titans really aren't the keys to the battle.
Wear them down with the little ones and mop up with the fatboys.
Knock out that punk Fire Ram and Durani breaks down.
Your battles may be different, and I am only playing with the base set, but this has made me see there is truly some depth here.
I am loving this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.