Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg might be marginally less complex, but it's an awful game.

Alien Frontiers is a much better game, and a lot less prone to being screwed by bad rolls. It also has genuine different paths to victory (Kingsburg without expansion has a very linear best path).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own both, but have only played Alien Frontiers. Great, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark angel
United Kingdom
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Riding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I played my first game of Kingsburg this weekend. I have been itching to play and also was sure my wife would go for this as Dice Tower compared it to ticket to ride in terms of feel. Sadly, the game felt somewhat one dimensional and choice was lacking any real game plan. It fel flat with the family. I not sure whats best and also it may come down to how much the theme matters to her. Does it have to be one or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer Kingsburg to Alien Frontiers, but I almost always play with the expansion, which adds much more strategic decisions to the game, and puts on a lot of pressure early in the game (as well as given special abilities via the characters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Alien Frontiers a lot, but with 2 I think it's unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is my favorite game of all time but its really not a good 2-player game. Neither is Alien Frontiers, but it's better than Kingsburg for 2. The ghost player in 2-player Kingsburg is not very exciting.

Have you tried The Castles of Burgundy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Kingsburg, but so far all my games of Alien Frontiers have been 2-player. And we're enjoying it! (I should note we play with the Factions expansion.)

Perhaps it's even better with more than 2, in which case I look forward to finding people to play it with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Alien Frontiers scales fairly well with 2 players, but you will each have more things to keep track of. Hidden Objectives and extra buildings from the expansion add a lot of dynamics that help 2 player games also.

There is a fair bit of complexity in the game, it goes without saying that it plays much better with players that don't have AP and have an imagination for combos.

I'd love to try Kingsburg but from what I remember I think there is less player interaction in that one.

Both seem to be Skill games though (like most Euros I guess)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.