Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
When I first read the rulebook I interpreted the following passage

rulebook wrote:

When Committing US pieces to the map, place them in COIN-Control
spaces or Saigon (not LoCs), first where already US pieces.
Within the above priorities, place or remove Troops so as to spread
US Troops evenly, and place Bases only where no US or ARVN
Base already, adding or leaving odd Troops and Bases in the highest
Population then random candidate spaces. NOTE: Non-player US
Commitment does not move pieces between spaces.

to mean that the US wouldn't commit forces where it didn't already have Troops. But the current way I'm reading it is that what the US will do first is to commit Troops to spaces that don't have US forces already in order to bring them up to the level of the space with the lowest non-zero number of US Troops. Is that right?

And when placing a Base, I place a Base in the space with the highest Population that had no Base but did already have US pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

1. In my opinion, No. You read the Non-Player US Commitment rule correctly the first time. US troops go first where there are US pieces (could be Troops, Bases or Irregulars), and then so those spaces contain US Troops as evenly in number as possible (use random die rolls for ties). Only in the unusual circumstance that there were no US pieces anywhere on the map would you place US Troops in COIN-controlled spaces/Saigon void of US Troops.

2. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricrd Rosa
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, please help me to explain how to complete this phase of US non-player Coup Phase. I have almost no idea how to do it right acording to rules (8.8.7).
My questions:

1. Should I first do the US casualties movement phade - 1/3 to out of play, rest to available (6.5)?

2. With Nixon Policy - should I only withdraw only 2 US bases, or all bases except 1 in Saigon?

3. If less than 25 US available troops, should I continue withdrawing cubes from the map until 25 available?

4. What to do with bases, add them where highest population?

And some more questions maby after figuring out this first four... Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryko79 wrote:
Hi, please help me to explain how to complete this phase of US non-player Coup Phase. I have almost no idea how to do it right acording to rules (8.8.7).
My questions:

1. Should I first do the US casualties movement phade - 1/3 to out of play, rest to available (6.5)?

2. With Nixon Policy - should I only withdraw only 2 US bases, or all bases except 1 in Saigon?

3. If less than 25 US available troops, should I continue withdrawing cubes from the map until 25 available?

4. What to do with bases, add them where highest population?

And some more questions maby after figuring out this first four... Thanks.

(I know these questions are almost two months old, but I'm still answering them for the sake of someone searching up the topic.)

1. Yes. Dealing with Casualties is always first in the Commitment Phase.

2. Only 2, since that is the maximum # of Bases allowed to be moved per 6.5.

3. Yes, if Nixon is policy (8.8.7 3rd bullet - ...then add or withdraw Troops to get as close as possible to 25 US Troops in Available.)

4. Yes, only where no US or ARVN Bases. (8.8.7 - ...first where already US pieces...place Bases only where no US or ARVN Base already, adding or leaving odd Troops and Bases in the highest Population then random candidate spaces.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian DiLuzio
United States
Andover
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing on #3, should we remove US to even lose coin control?

I'm removing first to NOT lose Coin control, but then I've been stoping that removal once any future removal would result in the loss of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diluzio123 wrote:
Continuing on #3, should we remove US to even lose coin control?

I'm removing first to NOT lose Coin control, but then I've been stoping that removal once any future removal would result in the loss of control.

To the best of my knowledge, you remove evenly first if you can, but removal of odd pieces would be either be highest pop first or random and thus, could result in lost control. 8.8.7 does not indicate removing so as to keep control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun is (mostly) right. US will remove even if it results in the loss of COIN Control. However, remember that US keeps everything spread evenly, and will keep more pieces in the higher pop spaces, regardless of Control. (He's doing it to try and protect Support.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian DiLuzio
United States
Andover
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, found my error with adding or removing 10 troops/bases. That's where the "as many as possible" comes in. Rule retention pfft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Fischer

Nebraska
msg tools
It looks like I made the same mistake during my commitment phase and basically ruined the game: I rolled Nixon for NP U.S. and thought I should keep removing pieces until I hit 25 in available (to which I thought, well, the U.S. is now well above victory threshold, but Saigon just went in the sh___er!) Then I went back and read 6.5. Live and learn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.