GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Police Precinct» Forums » General

Subject: Specs for this print-run -- Anybody want to add anything? Speak up now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gang!

Oops...

Maybe I should say "CSU" instead!

(Crime Scene Unit)

We're not a "gang", we're fighting the gangs!

(unless of course YOU are the Dirty Cop!)

Hey CSU!

(not sure that has the right ring to it)

shake

OK, let's move on from the hello stage, on toward the "Spec" stage.

As in...

We want YOU to feel free to suggest to us anything that you think maybe should be speced for this print-run.

We are about to send details to the facotry about what we DO want, and what we DON'T want in this print-run.

Here it is (at this point)...

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank

THE BOARD
Aside from being two-sided, we desire no changes in the board.

THE INSERT
We have never done a plastic insert before, and look forward to your expert help in this area. We desire a bit of roominess with the compartments. For example we would like it to be able to accommodate the cards if they are un-sleeved OR if they are sleeved (so it will need to accommodate extra space for this).
As for the exact spec on this item, let's go with 0.8mm black PS material.

THE RULEBOOK (1st footnote)
The primary change will be the fact that it will be longer (more pages - 28 vs 16), but it might also have a different quality paper (see below).

THE RULEBOOK (2nd footnote)
We published a revised 1st Edition rulebook (sample of which is coming to you now), and we love the thickness & glossiness of this book, so it would be great to duplicate that quality if the cost is not too great.

THE “DONUT” TOKEN SHEET (1st footnote)
The primary change will be the fact that this token sheet will be printed on both sides now.

THE “DONUT” TOKEN SHEET (2nd footnote)
In addition to being printed on both sides, we would like to have the corners of the tokens be rounded (have radial corners). Furthermore, we would love to have round Donuts (meaning circular, not JUST rounded corners)!

THE “CAR” TOKEN SHEET
This token sheet has always been printed on both sides, so no change there. The only change we want is to have the corners of the tokens be rounded.

THE CRIME TRACK (1st footnote)
The primary change will be the fact that this item will be printed on both sides now.

THE CRIME TRACK (2nd footnote)
Aside from being printed on both sides, we would also like to upgrade this item to a higher quality by making it thicker.

THE MURDER BOARD (1st footnote)
Just like the Crime track, the primary change will be the fact that this item will be printed on both sides now.

THE MURDER BOARD (2nd footnote)
Also just like the Crime track, we would also like to upgrade this item to a higher quality by making it thicker.

THE CHARACTERS
The only change we want is to have the corners of the Character Tiles be rounded.

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank

Just to give you a little perspective on what you see above, it's actually the footnotes to a table we are sending as part of a 3-page document that details all the changes we want done.

When I say "changes" I mean how the 2nd Edition will be different than the 1st.

The above mentioned changes mostly WILL happen, though some of them may not if they are too cost prohibitive. We DO want to maintain the MSRP as it is and not have to raise it to a higher level.

Anyway...

Does anyone see anything they want to suggest we add to these footnotes?

Or delete from them?

Or alter a bit?

Let us know via any method you want, such as...

Posting below, a BGG PM, or emailing me directly at...

Karl@commonman.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have time to check now, but if the track boards don't have rounded corners you might want to do that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jazzy!

Our thinking is that the tokens get bumped around a lot and rounded corners would help them last longer without delaminating.

The characters are sort of the in a middle ground, but we figured why not!

The bigger stuff (the main board and even the smaller boards like the Murder Investigation Board and the Crime Track) we figured doesn't get banged around quite so much and would be fine left with squared off corners, but...

You would prefer them with rounded corners?

Just to be clear, we're specifically speaking of the two smaller boards here (of course the main board would NOT have rounded corners).

So...

Who else has a stance on this issue?

(if we get a few others feeling this way, it could be poll-time!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From one of the other threads, I still think you have a good opportunity to combine the Crime Track and Murder Board into a single board. Save on both table space and printing costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
From one of the other threads, I still think you have a good opportunity to combine the Crime Track and Murder Board into a single board. Save on both table space and printing costs.

Hey Mike!

yes, I do remember this coming up a couple days ago in another thread.

I think it's a really cool idea!

We might do it now, but the issue with that is it will delay the production and delivery of the game.

More so, I am VERY interested in doing this in the future. In fact maybe even on the next print-run after this one.

Please feel free to remind me about this later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd much rather you add that now.

I don't care about delays, but do care about board game envy with those who didn't back but get an even more improved version of the game. Also, anything that prevents me having to play on the floor is most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:

I don't care about delays, but do care about board game envy with those who didn't back but get an even more improved version of the game. Also, anything that prevents me having to play on the floor is most welcome.

Should we make the board smaller too?

and/or

Maybe come out with a travel version where everything is smaller.

That could be good for those who have limited space.

Very interesting idea!

hmmm...

Wheels are turning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:

I agree. I would rather have you think through all the issues and how to make the game the best it can be than have it "on time".

I certainly think it's great that you are making a 2nd edition and improving the game, but I don't think it should be a pattern that the components of every version should change. This leaves previous purchasers with the 2nd edition wanting 3rd edition components. Just get it done now so you don't need to make changes for future print runs. We can wait. IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the separate charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
I like the separate charts.

Hey David!

I'm sure you're not alone!!!

but...

Where are the masses on this one?

Not sure?

But...

I am trying to get to the bottom of it here...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233749/future-some-point-sh...

Come join the discussion one and all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
cinos wrote:

I agree. I would rather have you think through all the issues and how to make the game the best it can be than have it "on time".

I certainly think it's great that you are making a 2nd edition and improving the game, but I don't think it should be a pattern that the components of every version should change. This leaves previous purchasers with the 2nd edition wanting 3rd edition components. Just get it done now so you don't need to make changes for future print runs. We can wait. IMHO

Hey Mike!!!

I think you make great points!!!!

If I thought that all backers felt exactly like you did, then I would happily delay the project, but surely there is a range of opinions on the topic of combining the two boards. Meaning that some backers would not want that to happen.

Really, to be fair to backers, if we intended to combine the two boards then we should have said so during the Kickstarter.

So, YES I am very interested in this idea and want to explore it more, but I don't want to do it in a way that will upset backers.

Does that make sense?

As for compatibility, we design that into everything we do, so no worries there.

btw - have you been to the "Mike Thread" yet.

It was created to explore in a more in-depth way your VERY interesting idea.

Here it is...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233749/future-some-point-sh...

I call it the "Mike Thread" in honor of you, but the credit for the idea should really be shared with Zen who first hatched this idea 6 days ago...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16801804#16801804

You and he are the champions of this idea and deserve full credit if it ends up going through in the end.

Great job Mike & Zen!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Karl, but I am getting pretty heavy as of late. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to lighten up myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.