Cruel Necessity» Forums » Rules

Subject: May be stupid questions, but couldn't find an answer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, love the game so far. But there are a few things that I'd like clarified (I'm at work, so I'm sorry for not having the exact names or rules text):

1. In the tactical battle rules, it says that the result is whatever section ends up with the *majority* of your units. This would seem to imply that you needed > half (or 4) units to win. However, this doesn't make sense with the BP rules or examples I've seen in the forums. Do you mean that you need a *plurality* of units (more than any other space)? In other words, is 3 units in the Victory box, 1 unit in the Draw box, and 2 units in the Defeat box a Victory or a Draw?

2. One event allows the player to besiege a fortress 'for free'. Can this be a fortress behind enemy lines? If so, what happens on the next activation if I take over - does the army move back and besiege it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObligatoryReference wrote:
Do you mean that you need a *plurality* of units (more than any other space)? In other words, is 3 units in the Victory box, 1 unit in the Draw box, and 2 units in the Defeat box a Victory or a Draw?

I might be wrong, but I've always understood it to mean in which box is there the most units. And if there are two in each, then it's draw.

ObligatoryReference wrote:
2. One event allows the player to besiege a fortress 'for free'. Can this be a fortress behind enemy lines? If so, what happens on the next activation if I take over - does the army move back and besiege it?

I don't think you can besiege a fortress behind enemy lines period. That would nullify your second question.

But I'm not 100% sure! Paging:John Welch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions.

1. You have it right, it's the box that has the most units in it 'plurality' determines the outcome of the battle. Two in each is a draw.

2. The 'free' besiege action must be used on an eligible Fortress so one that has any Enemy Army or Revolt marker in a higher numbered space than the Fortress you wish to besiege.

Hope that helps and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, my next playthrough is going to be quite a bit different now that I know #1. I can't say how many battles I drew (and thus Zeal points I lost) because I thought 3/2/1 or 3/1/2 were draws

Thanks for the answers, I'm really enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.