Subject: Using The Target Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules, it seems that you can place a target action token on a target, but then you don't have to use it against that target. Does that seem rather odd to anyone else, or is it just me? I can't think of a thematic reason for this, either - surely even if it's an AE attack there's still a particular target that's being concentrated on. Alternatively, if it's just a general targeting action, then why not just allow its declaration without measuring then if there's no target within range, it's wasted anyway (esp as its current range is 4, which is current, AFAIK, max range), particularly as pre-measuring isn't allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Picture it as winding up for a punch to hit a dude, and hitting the next guy who passes near you. You still readied to hit the first guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it similarly:You decide you want to attack somebody so you're keeping an eye out for who you can hit and who would be a good target. Then everybody moves and the guy you want to hit is out of range, so you swing at whoever is handy.

It's similar to declaring a dodge action with no one around you: you are watching out for potential threats and are ready to react if one comes up.

Since there is no pre-measuring allowed, measuring for a Target is kind of an intentional cheat to see how far you are from other figures. (As explained to me by one of the designers at Gen Con).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Release: February 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember that the Target Token goes on the targeting creature, not the target itself as you indicate above.

As Donald mentioned, you will often choose the Target Action as a way of "cheating" to measure out the Range Ruler (which feels pretty thematic for a Target Action). It can be very handy so you can know whether or not to fire your breath weapon during the Combat Phase, for example.

Thematically, the idea is that you are focusing on your first potential target, but you are flexible enough to change that target later. But if no enemies are in range at all, you don't have anyone to focus on.

Being a ST:AW vet, I can tell you it feels great to not have the situation where you target one person, and then end up with someone else in your sights. While I think that's very thematic for a starship game with targeting computers, it just didn't make any sense for a game that thematically feels this physical and kinetic.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Also, remember that the Target Token goes on the targeting creature, not the target itself as you indicate above.

As Donald mentioned, you will often choose the Target Action as a way of "cheating" to measure out the Range Ruler (which feels pretty thematic for a Target Action). It can be very handy so you can know whether or not to fire your breath weapon during the Combat Phase, for example.

Thematically, the idea is that you are focusing on your first potential target, but you are flexible enough to change that target later. But if no enemies are in range at all, you don't have anyone to focus on.

Being a ST:AW vet, I can tell you it feels great to not have the situation where you target one person, and then end up with someone else in your sights. While I think that's very thematic for a starship game with targeting computers, it just didn't make any sense for a game that thematically feels this physical and kinetic.

Andrew

Ah, thanks, that makes more sense - sorry, I'd read it wrongly in the rules (I've only just had a first read-through of them) and thought you put it on the target, not the active creature. So, thematically, I'm guessing that it represents taking more time (hence it uses up your turn's non-free action) over your attack, which then allows you the measuring luxury as well as the target action - if so, that makes more thematic sense.

Can I say, it's great to have the designer so active on a game forum and is a real help in understanding rules queries and (as in this case) the reasoning/thematic-context behind certain mechanics - thanks a lot for joining in on so many threads, here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I'm just as excited as you guys are about the game's release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
No problem, I'm just as excited as you guys are about the game's release!

Which is when, October 1st?

Will there be previews?

Thanks for all your input to date and thanks in advance for any yet to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the official release date is October 1.

I am not sure what the preview schedule will be for the game, or if there will be any previews before the starter set release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Is there anywhere online to pre-order yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market & hills wholesale gaming have preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.