GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,765 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Duel of Ages II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Benedict Arnold & timing of discard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garth Pickrell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
During my adventure phase my team has an Amaze result, putting Benedict within 1 of switching sides. He currently is on a space with an ally that has an Elite card. Can the ally immediately discard the Elite card to 'reset' Benedict, or must they wait until Free Action? Free Action is the only time you can freely discard equipment cards, but in this case the discard is going towards a purpose? My other adventures for this turn hang on the answer........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's helpful if you post the text:

When an ally Amazes an adventure, place a marker on Arnold. When Arnold Amazes an adventure, or an ally discards an Elite card in his space, remove all markers. If at any point Arnold has 4 markers, he switches sides. Afterward, remove all markers and restart the process.

The normal rules are that you can't discard cards at all, whether in the Free Action phase or at any other time. So Benedict Arnold clearly gives you an ability to discard cards that you don't normally have. What is not clear is when you can use that ability. Lacking any other published restriction, I would say you can do it whenever you want. If there were a published Q&A, my guess is that it would say that you should do it in the Free Action phase, but I think it's not my place to invent such a rule; it's up to the designer to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The discard is not limited to a phase. It can be done anytime, as long as the discarding character is clearly in Arnold's space. (For example, it cannot be done in the middle of a Move phase where you say, "Arnold moved through this space and so did my discarding character...").

Usually this will happen during Free Action or at the start of the Adventure Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Pickrell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Brett. David don't forget that you can discard during F.A. It can save on your opponent getting some great equipment when he toasts one of your characters; or allows you to ditch some cards before you take on some others by some other F.A. event......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.