GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts» Forums » Rules

Subject: Imperium Stealth Tactics during Orb Exploration? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm aware the +1 strength of this card is effective during the Orb exploration phase, but can its discard ability be used?

The rules explicitly state:

Quote:
During the orb step, a player may use Settle powers to temporarily
boost his Military. These effects last until the end of the Explore phase.
Pay for Military powers cannot be used to pass through beam barriers.

... which led me to believe the answer was no, but the manual then goes on to define Pay for Military as being associated with iconography not present on this card (pg 9).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I'm aware the +1 strength of this card is effective during the Orb exploration phase, but can its discard ability be used?

Yes.

Anarchosyn wrote:
... which led me to believe the answer was no, but the manual then goes on to define Pay for Military as being associated with iconography not present on this card (pg 9).

Pay for military doesn't boost military, it allows you to play military worlds by converting them into civilian thus paying with discards from hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alien Survey Technology is the card in AA with a Pay for military power that can be used for Alien Worlds (but not to get through orb barriers):

Powers like Imperium Stealth Tactics, Rebel Gem Smugglers (or Space Mercenaries from arc 1) etc are temporary military though people (inc me) end up calling them pay for military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I think Alien Survey Technology is the card in AA with a Pay for military power that can be used for Alien Worlds (but not to get through orb barriers):

Powers like Imperium Stealth Tactics, Rebel Gem Smugglers (or Space Mercenaries from arc 1) etc are temporary military though people (inc me) end up calling them pay for military.

I use the distinction "pay-for-military-strength" vs. "pay-for-military-world".

pfms are powers where you discard cards from your hand to up your temp military. Although something I made up and not really defined, I would NOT consider cards like New Military Tactics nor discarding a brown good for +2 as "payment" implies wealth, which is your hand of cards. They're also temp military strength though

pfmw are powers that let you III military worlds as if they were non-military worlds

Even if our OP meant temp military, I believe the answer is still no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Even if our OP meant temp military, I believe the answer is still no?

No, you are allowed to use temp military. The part of the rules the OP quotes confirms this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Although something I made up and not really defined, I would NOT consider cards like New Military Tactics nor discarding a brown good for +2 as "payment" implies wealth, which is your hand of cards. They're also temp military strength though

But it is a payment (a condition under your control relinquished for reward), and any resource you control is a form of wealth.

That aside, I think you all for clearing up the distinction between these items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

pfms are powers where you discard cards from your hand to up your temp military. Although something I made up and not really defined, I would NOT consider cards like New Military Tactics nor discarding a brown good for +2 as "payment" implies wealth, which is your hand of cards.

FWIW, Powers that allow spending cards from hand to boost military strength (pfms) don't exist in Alien Artifacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Although something I made up and not really defined, I would NOT consider cards like New Military Tactics nor discarding a brown good for +2 as "payment" implies wealth, which is your hand of cards. They're also temp military strength though

But it is a payment (a condition under your control relinquished for reward), and any resource you control is a form of wealth.

That aside, I think you all for clearing up the distinction between these items.
Well, the further distinction here is that "wealth" was a term in the base game rules, and it's mentioned it is used to pay for other cards that require the typical payment, like non-military worlds, or developments. Goods and powers like NMT can't be discarded from tableau to pay for say, a 6-cost dev, or Spice World

nickjanaway wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

pfms are powers where you discard cards from your hand to up your temp military. Although something I made up and not really defined, I would NOT consider cards like New Military Tactics nor discarding a brown good for +2 as "payment" implies wealth, which is your hand of cards.

FWIW, Powers that allow spending cards from hand to boost military strength (pfms) don't exist in Alien Artifacts.
Sounds about right. I've used these distinctions plenty on these forums when it was pre-AA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you to mix in the example cards like ackmondual posted, I would say that their abilities work during Orb phase.

As has been pointed out, "pay for military" only means "pretend military is non-military and pay for settlement" and you're not settling the lasers. In other words, you need military might to break through the lasers: diplomacy will not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.