GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,810 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Raid & Trade» Forums » General

Subject: Full English preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malte Kühle
Germany
Landau (Pfalz)
flag msg tools
designer
Bonn - Forever loved!
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
mbmbmbmbmb
For a version with images go to:

http://brettspielnews.com/english-articles/

Raid and Trade

A game for 3-5 players

One thing first: This is not a review of the game Raid and Trade. I significantly developed the game so I would be the wrong person to give you an impartial opinion. The following text is a preview of Raid and Trade and the main mechanics the game uses.

The story of Raid and Trade takes place after the 3rd world war. The players slip into the roles of five different characters and try to survive the chaos caused by the war. The goal of the game is to get the permission to enter the so called golden city where wealthy survivors live. To get this permission you have to meet certain requirements that are also the victory conditions.

The main mechanics combine action point based turns with interactive trading and some confrontation between players. There is also definitely some luck involved since different situations get resolved by dice rolling.

The map of the game consists of 9 square tiles that show the city the game takes place. On this map you place houses (represented by house tiles) that you will raid during the game. There are also a chapel and a black market on the map. The streets are designed in a way that allows it to place the 9 square tiles in random order, becoming a 3 x 3 tiles map. Some of the streets are blocked by barricades.

Beside the map and house tiles, there is also one individual player board, one individual miniature and one individual graved combat dice included for every player. Every player also gets his own deck of item cards. There are also raid cards, event cards, situation cards, some special cards and a raid die included.

One important part of the game are the resources. There are 8 different resources which are represented by resource tiles:

When it is a player’s turn, he usually has 15 action points (AP) to spend for different actions. For example he can move his miniature on the map. But be aware, barricades make it more expensive to move! You can also attack other players to steal their resources or trade with them.
The main opportunity to get resources is by raiding houses. To do so, you have to be in front of a building and pay the AP according to the house you try to attack. Big houses need more AP but you will also gain more resources by raiding them. After that you reveal the top card of the raid card pile. This card determines how the raid is resolved. This can either happen by rolling the raid die or by changing a player’s character.
If the card shows the raid die, you have to roll the die. 4 of the 6 sides of the die show a „success“-symbol. If you roll this symbol you get as many resources as indicated on the raid card. If you didn’t succeed, you also get resources but less. This number is also indicated on the raid card. If a house is successful raided, the tile gets removed from the map. Otherwise it stays where it is.
If there is a character symbol on the raid card, you have to decide if you want to pay the price fort his raid. Every player has displayed his character points on his player board. The range is from -10 to +10. If you want to pay such a raid, you have to get „evil“ by subtracting character points to get the resources. If you decide not to pay with character points you don’t get any resources but you can move your character points one point up to become “good”. In addition, every raid card has a special ability that can be used after a successful raid.

There are several possibilities to spend those resources you get in a raid. You can for example build items to gain special abilities and to get skill points.

You can also try to fulfill quests of the golden city. There are always 3 quests available to all players than can be fulfilled.

There are also the chapel and the black market I mentioned before. At the black market all players can trade their resources for resources they need if the black market has those resources available. By visiting the chapel the players have different opportunities to get more character points.

There are 3 different possibilities to win the game:

1. Victory by skill points: The player who gets a certain amount of skill points first, wins the game.
2. Victory by character points: The player who first gets his character points to +10 wins the game.
3. Victory by quests: The player who fulfills 3 quests of the golden city first, wins the game.

To claim himself the winner by one of the three conditions mentioned above, a player has to spend 20 AP. Since you usually only have 15 AP, you have to get 5 extra AP by building items, collecting food or otherwise to win the game.

In Raid and Trade are a lot of interactions between the players since you have trade between players and the possibility to attack each other. There is also a certain amount of luck inside the game but there are many different ways that lead a player to victory so that you can always react to bad luck by changing your tactic.

During the development we especially tried to increase the replayability of Raid and Trade. Each of the 5 characters has its own items with individual effects. We also changed the game board to a modular board resulting in a different map every time you play. The houses are also placed randomly. There are also a lot of different events that affect all players.

The playing time will be between 50 and 90 minutes depending on the number of players. There is only little downtime since a turn doesn’t take too long and players often get involved in the turns of other players.

The graphics I have seen so far look very professional and really enhance the theme of the game.

So if you like interactive games with some confrontation and communication you should visit us at the Spiel 2014 in Essen at Mage Company’s booth (3-O 108) and test raid and trade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The 3 Characters are finally ready: Zoey - Mayu - Carter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis look great but I'd love to see the game board and the rules. No offense but I don't buy games for minis alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
The minis look great but I'd love to see the game board and the rules. No offense but I don't buy games for minis alone.

The game will be demoed at Essen Spiel this October.
The rules will be posted on Kickstarter when we launch the campaign on November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I look forward to reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ditto. My interest is piqued for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.