Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first in a series of sneak previews which will introduce you to ZhanGuo, the new game for 2014 from What's Your Game, released at Spiel in Essen.

INTRODUCTION

The game is set in ancient China, during a period of unification which followed a time in history known as the Warring States period. The new Emperor carried out a series of administrative and economic reforms, built great palaces and ordered the construction of an immense defensive wall.

Each player takes on the role of an emissary of the Emperor, helping to unify China with the introduction of a single currency, a single written language, and a common code of laws. You will also need to recruit workers to aid in the construction of palaces or to help build the great wall. However, not everyone is happy about unification, and many of the actions you take will cause the level of unrest to increase which can have a negative effect.

OVERVIEW

The game is played over 5 rounds. Players will score points for various actions and at the end of the game there is a final scoring round. The player with the most points wins.

The main gameplay is around the cards, which are divided into 3 decks. At the start of each round, each player draws 2 cards from each of the decks, so they will have 6 cards in total in hand. Players take turns playing one card from their hand until all cards have been played. This marks the end of the round.

At the end of each round, unification awards are given out to the players who contributed most to each of the three areas of unification (writing, currency, and laws).

THE CARDS

There are 120 cards in the game, divided into 3 stacks of 40 cards each. Each card is individually numbered and represents one of the three aspects of unification.

By drawing 2 cards from each deck, the players should have a good range of card numbers.

There are two ways to play each card. They may be played either onto a player's own board, or onto the main game board. In this preview, I’m going to cover playing them to your own board.

Each player has their own board representing their influence in each of the 5 regions.

When a card in played onto your player board, you choose which of the regions to play it into, and the card is actually tucked underneath the top edge of the board, so that only the top icons are showing.

Playing a card in this way means that you are contributing to one of the aspects of the unification (the colour of the card). To represent that, you take 1 octagon of the matching colour: cream, orange or brown.

If you play a second card into the same region, you will gain 2 octagons of the colour of the new card. However, the level of unrest in that region is increased by 1. This represents the local population being unhappy about having to change their ways.

A third card played into a region earns you 3 octagons, but the level of unrest increases by 2.

Each region may only have 3 cards in it, and once a card is played, it can never be removed.

Note: You may not play a card if it would mean you would gain more unrest that you are able to accommodate in that region.

Having too much unrest is bad, and I’ll explain more about that, and what the octagons and all the icons on the cards do in a later preview.

Coming in Part 2...
Find out about the second way that you can play a card which trigger the 6 core actions in the game.

Part 2 is here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question ..

Paul, who are you ?? and why do you seem to keep getting sneak previews for upcoming foreign games and then producing guides for them ??

Your profile has no information but presumably there's a job behind it all ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Kühle
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
play or die
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - now I want the remaining information even more! Madeira was awesome so I expect this to be awesome, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:

Your profile has no information but presumably there's a job behind it all ..
There is. I'm an IT Manager at a UK University. By day....
By night however (and in lunchbreaks), I do other things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
Lies grow in the silence of those who hear them - Ursula K. Le Guin
badge
Lies grow in the silence of those who hear them - Ursula K. Le Guin
mbmbmbmbmb
@Paul Grogan: You are absolutely right: "Gaming Rules!" but you rule too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo X
msg tools
I am just curious, what makes the (Italian) designers decide to make a game about ancient Chinese history? Would this be more appealing to westerners if it was a story about more well-known Egypt Greek or Rome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leox wrote:
I am just curious, what makes the (Italian) designers decide to make a game about ancient Chinese history? Would this be more appealing to westerners if it was a story about more well-known Egypt Greek or Rome?

No, it wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo X
msg tools
Because?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Leox wrote:

The funny thing ist, that the prototype for this game when it was send in was about the history of the Roman Empire. After the change in setting a lot of elements made click and the game got way better imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
Leox wrote:

The funny thing ist, that the prototype for this game when it was send in was about the history of the Roman Empire. After the change in setting a lot of elements made click and the game got way better imho.

The game as is looks very interesting and I like the subject area.

I'd love to see a Roman Empire version of this, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo X
msg tools
darkpact wrote:
Leox wrote:

That makes sense. I wonder what changes make it more Chinese than Roman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bourbonnais
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
Leox wrote:

I'm so happy that it's not another Roman Empire theme. Not that such a theme is bad, but it's fairly well represented. Chinese history is not. And I think the historical setting of this theme is super interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
I'm so happy that it's not another Roman Empire theme. Not that such a theme is bad, but it's fairly well represented. Chinese history is not. And I think the historical setting of this theme is super interesting.

I've certainly learnt a lot more about that period in history, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 2 is up here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Part 2 is up here

Put the link at the bottom of your main post above for better flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Part 2 is up here

Put the link at the bottom of your main post above for better flow.

done. thanks for the tip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.