GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Russian conflicts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for wargame which base theme would be Russian conflict (or conflict with Russia). I prefer the time gap from WWII up to present times.

The most important is that game have to be 1-player, soiltaire game.

Is there any good game this type?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Long
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barbarossa Campaign seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT:

No Retreat has an expansion kit published in one of the C3i magazines that adds a solitaire module to the game. The interesting thing about this module is that you wind up switching sides unexpectedly during the game, so you might have the Russians on the run in 1942 only to suddenly have to hold back the German hordes the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manfred Laner
Austria
Obsteig
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Panzer Grenadier System works very well solitaire and has several games and expansions covering the east front:
Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front
Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin

There are also games covering a hypothetical war after world war 2, like this one, Poland and the NATO vs Russia:
Panzer Grenadier: Iron Curtain - Red and White

The expansions will need some of the core modules ( maps and counters ) to play. Details are listed on the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of great games for two players, which many of us play solo.

Personally I find that more satisfying than games designed to be solo-only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any solitaire specific recommendations, but I find chit-pull activation games to work really well solo. A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943/A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941, Roads to Leningrad/Roads to Moscow: Battles of Mozhaysk and Mtsensk, 1941, Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light – Red Hammer and the World at War Series come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might as well ask this here:

Is Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921 any good? I know it doesn't cover the WW2 era, but I was considering putting it on my list.

As for OP's question, not sure how many solitaire games are out there that cover what you're looking for. However, Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 might be up your alley. It's not an internal conflict, but is quite the interesting game, especially if you can observe the scales tipping over the course of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:

If you can find a copy, there's Eastern Front Solitaire. It's been out of print for quite some time, but it is the only Russia-themed game that I know of that is specifically designed to play solitaire.

There are several editions of it; it looks like the 3rd Edition is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ukrainian Crisis for hot topic gaming.
Its free too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of games at the operational or tactical levels on hypothetical 1980's games. The World at War Series and Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light are more modern games on the period, but there are older games such as the Third World War Series, Fire Team, Red Storm, etc.

There's also the Millennium Wars series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
There are a lot of great games for two players, which many of us play solo.

Personally I find that more satisfying than games designed to be solo-only.

+1

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
DuneTiger wrote:
Might as well ask this here:

Is Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921 any good? I know it doesn't cover the WW2 era, but I was considering putting it on my list.

I enjoy it and it works well solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ted Raicer's The Dark Valley is a two-player game that plays very well solo because it uses a chit-pull mechanism to activate various formations. Highly recommended, IMO. It covers the Russo-German War from 1941 to 1945.

(Edit: added last sentence for clarification)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
dave3l wrote:
The Barbarossa Campaign seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT:

No Retreat has an expansion kit published in one of the C3i magazines that adds a solitaire module to the game. The interesting thing about this module is that you wind up switching sides unexpectedly during the game, so you might have the Russians on the run in 1942 only to suddenly have to hold back the German hordes the next turn.

You may want to hold off on buying the current version of The Barbarossa Campaign. According to VPG's website, they're working on an updated version that improves the rules and upgrades the map and counters to their current standards. It's a very interesting solo puzzle and takes a lot less time to play than The Dark Valley or No Retreat! (The latter of which is out of print now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
I'm looking for wargame which base theme would be Russian conflict (or conflict with Russia). I prefer the time gap from WWII up to present times.

Is there any good game this type?

If you can't find one you like at BGG, you aren't looking hard enough or it doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you peruse this geeklist:

WWII eastern front operational and strategic wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for recommendations in this theme.

I'll check games that were suggested.
I already have lots of titles so now I carefully choose games (wargames usually are not cheap).
This is great help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.