designer
publisher
badge
mb
The Knight of La Mancha

2-3 Players
Ages 12+
10-30 min

The residents of La Mancha must keep Don Quixote from causing too much trouble.

Components:
18 card deck
1 Don Quixote Card
4 Differently colored cubes
Rule Book

Game Summary

Each player works toward supporting or refuting Don Quixote's delusions to keep him from making a mess of La Mancha. Every round each player receives a new secret role either for or against Don Quixote. This role will dictate if the card is to be used to support Don Quixote or shatter his delusions. The winning side will score points. The first player to achieve 5 points wins.

Start Date: Sept 10th
Submission Due: Sept 15th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Classic Novel Microgame- The Knight of La Mancha
I love this classic novel micro game idea. And I love the fact that you're playing with the delusions of Don Quixote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Text only mock-ups created on nanDeck today. First draft of ruleset mocked up. Printing out cards and solo playtesting tonight. If things go well during solo playtesting tonight, I will post the pdf of the text-only cards and a revised ruleset for general playtesting tomorrow.

I do wish I had more time, though this is luckily not a 4x or 18XX so playtesting should be quite quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Playtested last night.

Even though this is a filler, the two player game doesn't have enough tension for me as both players very often are on the same side leading to wild swings in Don Quixote's mental state. I will have to add in a dummy player. Three player is pretty balanced. Four player is not as good. It is quite common to get a 3 vs 1 round. It is not all bad since roles change every round, but being on the receiving end of it is not that fun as it is impossible to sway the points in your favor and winning that way has no glory to it.

This leads to quite a choice, as the game appears to be pretty good with three players (and likely 2-player with a dummy), but would need some revision for 4 players. I could easily abandon the 4th player as I would have to add in additional cards a la Agricola/7 Wonders. There are two additional things I can think of is adding in an additional role set that aims to balance Don Quixote OR add in a dummy player that brings the 4 player to a psuedo-five.

I was worried initially with king-making, however with secret roles changing every round it is not an issue.

I was going to release the cards and rules today. After playtesting I realized that unless you have read Don Quixote, you may not get the thematic elements in the mechanics-only version. This will easily be solved with art, but for playtesting I will have to add some cues for outside playtesting. I also have revisions for the rules as well, in addition to some clarifications for updated cards.

Props to nanDeck by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Print and Play ready for playtest

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69Xo2A6rfaQWGlUVm9kMXZtMFk...

Deck:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69Xo2A6rfaQTUF5WDhZT0p5Vjg...

Don Quixote Card:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69Xo2A6rfaQQlV6cHUwOUFoWnc...

You can skip printing the last page of the rules, it is only additional information. The "Don Quixote Card" is an optional print as the card is included in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.