GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,839 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do I send a game internationally for cheap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Sims
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have now had two people order my games off of the marketplace from different countries. I have contacted FedEx, UPS, and USPS to see what their shipping costs would be and they are coming out to $60 - $120 to ship a package to Europe or Japan.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to get a cheaper rate? I would like to make something work so I can send these games off.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
If you have a time machine handy, go back in time to when international surface mail was an option.

Absent that, anything under 4 pounds is expensive, and anything over is really expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about the size of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
International shipping is expensive. Worse, if anything goes wrong, and the buyer doesn't receive the package or gets a damaged package, it's a royal pain to get resolved. I have no interest in shipping internationally after having two problem shipments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny khek
Singapore
flag msg tools
You can request your buyer to use package forwarding services like comgateway or vpost etc. It is way way cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newson Ly
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Canada and it's expensive to ship the the US or vice versa, so I would imagine it's even more expensive to go overseas. Tough luck, you should let your buyers know that shipping is really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, if you go USPS for international be sure you get the right kind of shipping for the options you want (tracking, insurance, etc). We used first class shipping for our Kickstarter, which was "affordable" but there is no recourse if a package goes missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What everyone else said!

Even shipping "in country" is no fun at all these days, but when you add in the outrageous costs, the hassle, the paperwork, and the dismaying tendency for packages to disappear when they cross borders, international shipping quickly becomes a total non-option for a lot of folks.

It's probably of no use to the OP now without a good deal of luck, but this problem is one reason why it's fairly commonplace to see forum listings looking for someone to do a favor and be a "game mule", bringing a US game to Essen, for example.

I wonder if there are enough of us traveling to make a subforum practical? Folks could post in a defined area, seeking to find someone to carry a game, or offering to carry a game. I know that if I were to be taking a trip of any length, I'd be quite happy to carry a few games in my car if that would help someone out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange.

I recently bought something on line from the US and the shipping cost to Europe were under $24 for that package, sent via USPS International Surface Air Lift.

Perhaps web shops can get cheaper rates than individuals, but still...

Otherwise, you know where to go to for your next holiday. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.