GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Jeroen F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

So now that the pledge manager has reopened, I'm sorely tempted to spend some more money on top of my original pledge. However, I'm not sure if I should get the Dragon King and Sunstalker major expansions. Apart from the fact that they look amazing of course, how do they interact with the core game?

I'm aware that the Dragon King and the Sunstalker expansions provide a new final boss for the story, and I think they also modify the story itself. But do they really replace parts of the vanilla story, or just extend the campaign? And similarly, are the Dragon King and Sunstalker expansions mutually exclusive?

If I want to play the 'vanilla' story first, is there anything from the Dragon King and Sunstalker expansions that I can use in that game (gear, settlement cars, monsters, etc.)? Or is it a 'use the entire expansion or use none of it' kinda thing?

Not sure if any info on this is available yet, but it would help me in deciding what to add to my pledge!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I read that those expansions change story events that happen. So in the vanilla story, you have something happen where the King's Hand shows up at your settlement and does something ominous and you eventually go on to deal with the Watcher and the King (with the Lantern Festival expansion). If I understand it correctly, all that goes out and your settlement moves along a separate timeline of events. The game will probably still function the same mechanically, but storywise it may pan out differently as you live in the shadow of the Dragon King or a Sunstalker. It may lead to different gear and/or Settlement locations that you wouldn't normally have access to in the vanilla story. That's my understanding at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
These two major expansions function in two big ways:

1. The work the same as the other large monster expansions that come with armor kits - the Dragon King and Sunstalker become additional monsters that you can hunt, kill, and craft armor/weapons from. You'll be able to pick them just like you would the White Lion or Screaming Antelope to hunt down. There will also likely be new innovations and/or Settlement Events you'll be able to mix into their respective stacks.

2. They completely change the timeline of the campaign. You'll have the normal campaign, Dragon King Campaign, and Sunstalker Campaign. It changes your starting settlement (a different set of settlement locations), changes the major story events (there are a few events that happen at set years during a campaign, and Dragon King and Sunstalker will have their own timelines with new events), and it changes the final boss from the Watcher to the Dragon King or Sunstalker respectively.

So it works either way. As a monster expansion you can add to any campaign (including the vanilla one), or as a way to start a completely unique campaign experience with its own events, timeline and rewards. In the Dragon Campaign, your settlement will represent a people ruled by the tyrannical Dragon King. In the Sunstalker Campaign, your settlement will represent a people that worship an Ancient Sunstalker as the Sun itself, and have a few symbiotic relationships with the monster.

So yeah, those two expansions are pretty major for their versatility and the variety they bring to the table. I'd definitely consider adding them on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that for the value, the Lantern Festival, Dragon King & Sunstalker expansions are the best bang for your buck. They offer some sweet models, but multiple monsters (in the case of the first 2), and of course the start a new settlement option.

I was under the impression that even if you started a Peeps of Sun/Dragon campaign you'd still encounter Core Game Monsters like King's Hand or King's Men. There's probably a completely different timeline.

One thing that's been announced is how the Monsters will interact with your settlement based upon which campaign you're running. The Dragon King supposedly offers some form of "protection" against other monsters (I imagine a shepherd protecting his flock). Sunstalker may impart strange light manipulation abilities to some of your survivors.

It'll be very interesting to see how it all puzzles together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I'm afraid you haven't given me a single reason to *not* buy these expansions I think I'll definately go for Latern Festival and Dragon King, and I'll have to see what my wallet thinks of all the rest of 'em. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the sunstalker campaign provides an alternative beggining to the game, the lantern festival allows the game to extend beyond normal duration of a successful campaign run (vs. the watcher, at least) and the Dragon replaces the final end game adversary.
I can only imagine that additional components, cards and effects will also affect other areas of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon King has an alternate start as well, but I think you don't have to use the alternate starts/ endings.
I don't know how it would work if you add all expansions together though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
Dragon King has an alternate start as well, but I think you don't have to use the alternate starts/ endings.
I don't know how it would work if you add all expansions together though.

I read somewhere that if you add in all available expansions, plus all promos, you actually summon the dark lord Cthulhu and it engulfs all players, game pieces and d10's and translocates them into an alternate universe... You realize your eyes and ears are caked with ink, and that you're laying on a cold, stone floor of countless faces....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I wake up will I be as buff as the Male Pinup? If so, it just might be worth it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zephyr40k wrote:
When I wake up will I be as buff as the Male Pinup? If so, it just might be worth it....

Sure, and any nearby ladies you're playing with will turn into the pinup of their dreams... (yeah, there's a shot some of us will be playing with a lady or two in the group, harhar)

Oh yeah, Good Luck with that White Lion encroaching on your confused party... fighting in your underwears... "Is that a one?? Oh No! PPPCHCHEEEWWWW!!! Zephyr's head explodes in a shower of gore..."

Just Playin.
Come on, Zephyr/Zachary... So ripe for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.