Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Greetings,

I always stack the objective deck to include lots of combat objectives, which means there always tons of combat. Since combat can take a while, I'm fishing for ways to make combat in the game faster. Any ideas?

I am not interested in using apps or programs to roll dice. This must be something that does not require electricity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have enough D10s, you can roll for several ship types simultaneously, just differentiate them by color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Obligatory "Play Eclipse instead!" post

Just kidding. Eclipse sucks.

Another option: Get a bunch of D10s in 10 different colors. Organize them by to hit number rather than ship type, because of various modifiers. And once you have, use a red marker or crayon to fill in the numbers on sides that are "hits."

A chart that reads "red dice hit on 10, orange dice hit on 9, yellow dice hit on 8," and so on will help until you've memorized the assignments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
If you have enough D10s, you can roll for several ship types simultaneously, just differentiate them by color.

This works best.

Also have everyone else keep playing while the combat works out. It is rare that it will matter much to the other players, especially early in the game.

same with builds. We usually announce "I am building in X system" and then then next guys goes while you figure out what to build.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kramarich
United States
Northfield
OH
flag msg tools
We use the "TI3 Stats" app on an android tablet (not sure if it's available on apple products). It doesn't do rolls for you but it helps keep track of everyone's combat values. It does take a minute to set up, you input each player's race then you have to keep track of techs when they are purchased.

It also has the ability to include certain action cards, Morale Boost, Fighter Prototype and Into the Breach. It doesn't have the ability to track laws that modify combat values.

It has a combat function where you can set up a matchup between any 2 players. It is nice for a quick reference. When a battle is going on we have the player announce which ships he/she is rolling for then we can quickly say, "hits on X". This has helped speed it up since everyone doesn't have to consider all the modifiers they have each time they go to roll.

I know you said "no electricity" but I found this a useful way to speed it up without simulating the rolls which is what you seem to want to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I've found one of the most time consuming parts of combat is when we are gathering dice. Sounds silly, esp since I have dozens of dice. So any option that requires a division of dice probably won't work too well I fear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a 100 sided dice (or a ten and a tens dice pair)

A destroyer versus a cruiser both without Hylar Laser V.

61.54 Crusier wins
23.08 Destroyer wins
15.38 Both destroyed

Both ships with Hylar.

53.84 CA wins
23.08 DS wins
23.08 Both destroyed

Destroyer with Hylar, Cruiser without

45.90 CA wins
34.42 DS wins
19.67 Both destroyed

Cruiser with Hylar, Destroyer without.

66.66 CA wins
16.60 DS wins
16.60 Both destroyed.

Round the values off as you like, figure the probabilities for all small ship combats, and just have the tables next to you.

It's the stupid one on one combats that take forever to roll out that drive you crazy and 'waste' time.

To figure this out, get a graph sheet and take a ten x ten box. Fill in the likelihood of one ship hitting along one side, the other ship hitting along the perpendicular side, with an overlap where they both hit. Divide the number of each group of boxes times by the percent of boxes total that give a result.

Without Hylar a cruiser hits four times out of ten, a destroyer two times out of then. The overlap is eight, destroyer wins twelve, cruiser wins thirty-two. Divide each by .52 to get the overall probablities.

You can do the same thing with a three ship engagement but it would be much more complicated, especially as you would have to figure in the two ship resolution if the player with two ships loses one.

DS vs DS without Hylar is 44.44 each with 11.12% Exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

This works best.

Also have everyone else keep playing while the combat works out. It is rare that it will matter much to the other players, especially early in the game.

same with builds. We usually announce "I am building in X system" and then then next guys goes while you figure out what to build.

-M

"+1"

we use a system called "neighbor verify" which allows for turns to occur in almost continuous action...though we usually all stop and watch combat

anyway, we employ a very similar principle and it speeds up game play dramatically with much less down-time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
i must admit the big battles to take a while, but we all like to watch our neighbours get blown to bits tbh... or watching the lone gf take on a squadron . besides having alot of dice and a third party counting the hits, we havent managed to find a way to make combat go faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Another idea for single-ship duels, where trust is good between players, is not synchronising rolling. Each player just rolls repeatedly, counting rolls, until one of them achieves a hit. If they happen to be ahead on rolls, the other player finishes up and sees if they scored a hit "first".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
SFRR wrote:
malloc wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

This works best.

-M

"+1"

we use a system called "neighbor verify" which allows for turns to occur in almost continuous action...though we usually all stop and watch combat

anyway, we employ a very similar principle and it speeds up game play dramatically with much less down-time

We do the build thing, sort of. I wish we had the strength of skill to do the 'neighbor verify' play, but my group wouldn't be able to do it. too many rookies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.