United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This subject has come up recently in a couple different threads recently.

We feel like it is a very interesting idea.

If it was done, then there would be one less component in the game.

Is this a good thing?

Is this a bad thing?

We think there will be a range of opinions on this. We have already seen that to be the case, but...

What are MOST people thinking on this topic?

If it was done, we (CMG) would carefully (and with the input from the community) redesign the Murder Board to include the Crime Track. It would be done on the Murder Board, so essentially players would have one less thing taking up space on the table. This is no big deal to some who have big tables, but very helpful to others who don't.

Some people love little games that can travel easily and can be set-up on a small table, while others like a big game with a big board, and lots of big extra fun stuff. Police Precinct falls into this category.

But...

We could come out with a Travel Version of Police Precinct!

It would have smaller everything!

So...

Maybe only that version would have the combined boards.

Or...

Maybe the standard full-sized version of the game should take that step.

It's not something we can do right now because it would delay the project and this is not fair to those who have already bought and paid for a copy and who are patiently waiting delivery.

But...

In the future, we want to consider this possible idea.

Part of doing that involves starting the conversation here and now (in this thread).

Sssssoooooo...

That's pretty much an introduction to the topic, and more to follow below soon...

Thanks in advance to any and all who participate in this discussion!

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMBINE THE TWO BOARDS

Would YOU like to see this happen some day.

Poll
As for combing the boards, I feel like...
1 - This is a GREAT idea, and I see NO downside to doing this.
2 - I think it's a good idea, but do have some concerns.
3 - I would be happy either way so long as it was done well.
4 - I don't overly like this idea, but it's not that big of a deal to me.
5 - I HATE this idea and would be VERY upset if this happened.
      20 answers
Poll created by Common Man Games

Basically the poll is YOU ranking this idea on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being you LOVE it, and 5 being you HATE it.

Vote away and...

Thanks for the input!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TRAVEL VERSION OF POLICE PRECINCT

If we felt like the demand was there, we might come out with a travel version of Police Precinct.

If we did this, it would likely be the base-game, but NOT include extras now or ever (meaning we would not be releasing expansions for the travel version).

It would include everything you need to play the game, but downsized to the point where you could set it up in a coffee shop on a smaller table.

So it would have smaller cards, a smaller board, etc.

Also, regardless of what we ultimately do with the concept of combining the Crime Track & Murder Board for the regular sized Police Precinct, you can figure that we would, YES, do this for the travel version.

Anyway...

The first step in us (CMG) possibly publishing such a version of the game is to start the conversation here and now (in this thread / via this poll).

Sssssoooo...

Do you like the idea of a travel version?

Or...

Not!

Let us know via this poll...

Poll
If CMG came out with a travel version I would...
love this idea, and would BUY IT for sure (regardless of if I already own the full-size standard version)
think it's kinda cool and might get it.
NOT get it because I really prefer to play games like this on the bigger board!
      15 answers
Poll created by Common Man Games

Thanks in advance for weighing in on this topic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CREDIT FOR THIS IDEA:

I have (in other threads) called this thread "The Mike Thread" in honor of it's most active supporter. Meaning in honor of the person who has really stood up for this idea of combining the boards into one.

He is not the one who first mentioned the idea, that was Zen, and happened 6 days ago here...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16801804#16801804

Ssssoooo...

If this does come to be (the boards are combined into one) then we have those two individuals to thank first and foremost.

Regardless of where this conversation ultimately takes us, I would like to say thanks and...

Great job Mike & Zen!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for exploring this idea with the community. In no way did I intend to "steal" the idea from Zen, I just thought it was a great idea and worth some good discussion so I brought it up.

I also feel like putting the Crime Track on the Murder Board could be a great way to apply some more theme to the Crime Track.

I would likely not want to see a travel version of Police Precinct. Some cards have lots of information on them already and I wouldn't want to see them made even smaller. Since they need to fit on the board, there wouldn't be a good way to shrink the board without also shrinking the cards.

BUT I already know you are working on Police Precinct: Let's Roll and while I don't know anything really about it, perhaps it will be more portable. A different game with a similar theme and feel, but more portable sounds like something I would be much more interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

btw item #1 - I totally did NOT see you as someone that was trying in any way to claim credit for hatching the idea of the board combining, but simply that you were a great voice for carry that message and in fact the primary advocate of getting that idea to be seriously considered by CMG / The community of Police Precinct fans.

btw item #2 - I agree that the cards being smaller would be a challenge, BUT... not necessarily one that we couldn't deal with. Some cards would need to be explained in the rulebook instead of on the card itself. Actually, this is something that already happens with the game, but there would potentially be more of it happening.

btw item #3 - I also agree that Let's Roll" should be a smaller lighter game with a smaller foot-print. I do see us coming out with that before we try to come out with a travel version of the game (if we do end up doing that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate saying this, but it is true... I am now 50 (mentally no way that old) but my eyes can not see as well as they could 20 years ago, consider losing "family members" if things get VISUALLY much smaller and older relatives and friends can't play.

You can always reduce the "flavor frills" and still keep text the same size while producing smaller overall items. Just wanted to mention it, so all you "young punks" don't forget about us "old guys", LoL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for combining the two tracks, FWIW, I think it might result in the Crime Track marker getting bumped about when all of the cards are being placed on the Murder Investigation board. Also, I liked the visual of that Crime Track being "out there" on its own, taunting you as the marker makes its way across to FAIL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lowry
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea actually. It was one of the very few issues I had with Belfort. Sometimes even cool things are a distraction or just take up to much table space. I am all for combining the two boards. As for the concern about it getting jostled around, I don't think it will get jostled around to much. One person usually handles the board in my experience anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to ALL of you for the feedback!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzyBear wrote:
I hate saying this, but it is true... I am now 50 (mentally no way that old) but my eyes can not see as well as they could 20 years ago, consider losing "family members" if things get VISUALLY much smaller and older relatives and friends can't play.

You can always reduce the "flavor frills" and still keep text the same size while producing smaller overall items. Just wanted to mention it, so all you "young punks" don't forget about us "old guys", LoL!

Hey Jazzy!!!

I agree, and if we did this, I would want to NOT make the text smaller.

It would be a challenge, but I have ideas for how to do this, but know that we will (if we do this) have this process happen in public with you and everyone else watching and giving in-put, so...

I think the end result will be excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I play with Blue
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all for combing the two boards into one as long as it looks nice and is still functional. Do you have a mock-up of how it would look. I think having a design idea for it would really help people say go for it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing yet.

This is a "down-the-road" thing.

Just trying to get a read on where people stand on this and start the conversation.

I agree that it would have to come down to showing choices and working from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.