GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Design Choice Inquiry: Why the lack of Waste Scaling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious,

Is there a functional reason that the waste to morale ratio doesn't change with player count? Seems it increasing becomes a less significant consideration as player numbers decreases.

Would -1 morale per 5 cards be ridiculously low for two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the designer, so I don't know why, but I have noticed that overpaying for crisis cards scales the opposite way - it's proportionately easier to gain the extra morale in 5p than 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
I'm not the designer, so I don't know why, but I have noticed that overpaying for crisis cards scales the opposite way - it's proportionately easier to gain the extra morale in 5p than 2p.

Good observation. So perhaps the waste penalty exists to help offset these gains, and shouldn't be looked upon to be a general choke on morale for all player counts.

Per the design inquiry element of this, I don't believe you have to be a Plaid Hat employee to appreciate the intended purpose of a design's choices. Sometimes it's a bit oblique, but a well designed game should communicate the purpose of its restrictions and choices through the flow of play.

so.. yeah... Thanks for the comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Magrum
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Another factor is the number of actions. In a 5-player game the waste piles up quicker but there are more total action dice to take care of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.