Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is me again for a new stupid question !

I'm playing Ithaqua, and another player is declaring a Battle, as his Action, against me.
Question is: can I instantly pick one Spellbook (the one saying any time you want but if you wait you'll get elder signs) and use it in the declared battle ? (Canibalism to be more precise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Sandy said at one point that spellbooks gained mid-combat (Cthulhu's kills for example), don't apply until combat is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good afternoon all! I just did a quick forum search for this exact scenario. I am including the link to Sandy's ruling with regards to "Anytime" spell books.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16758922#16758922

This whole discussion was quite informative.

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:

I'm playing Ithaqua, and another player is declaring a Battle, as his Action, against me.
Question is: can I instantly pick one Spellbook (the one saying any time you want but if you wait you'll get elder signs) and use it in the declared battle ? (Canibalism to be more precise)

Yes, you can do that.

It has been long established that Cthulhu can acquire Regenerate for getting a Devour with Cthulhu pre-battle, and then immediately use that Regenerate on his Star spawn during post-battle.

Maybe that should be in the FAQ - but I think the "anytime" covers it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, considering this thread exists... then no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So cthulus can choose to gain the spellbook immediately after he devour or alternatively wait till the end of battle to see if he have more kill result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently found that if you approach CW or The Gods War with a Magic: The Gathering-derived mindset to timing questions, some issues will arise. For a Magic player, the word "anytime" is pure provocation to find exploits and conundrums. cool

I would therefore strongly recommend to actually provide a good number of examples for how to resolve "anytime" abilities in an FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a magic player anytime doesn't mean anytime. It means whenever I have priority, which in Cthulhu wars would translate as between actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Pitpipo wrote:

Yes, you can do that.

It has been long established that Cthulhu can acquire Regenerate for getting a Devour with Cthulhu pre-battle, and then immediately use that Regenerate on his Star spawn during post-battle.

The FAQ right now contradicts this -
"Cthulhu’s two battle Spell Books are not received until the Battle is fully completed and all post-Battle effects are finished."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
existoid wrote:
Pitpipo wrote:

Yes, you can do that.

The FAQ right now contradicts this -
"Cthulhu’s two battle Spell Books are not received until the Battle is fully completed and all post-Battle effects are finished."

hmm. Well, then you can't.

We house rule that you can, and I've personally played with Sandy many times in which that very thing happened. I think at the last minute he must have included that FAQ to help out noobs by making things simpler and clearer.

I don't think it unbalances the game either way - the only spellbook it would ever matter for is Regeneration, and it's a very minor boost if he can do it, because it can only happen under pretty specific circumstances, and in any case, it can literally help him only once per game (i.e., there must be a battle with both Cthulhu and Star Spawn; and Cthulhu must not have one of his two devour/kill requirements fulfilled; and he must not already have Regeneration).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I only mentioned it because my interpretation would have been the way that you play it. That's the only reason why I remember it, is because it seemed to be counterintuitive.

It could also benefit you with Absorb for the same reason as Regeneration, but the bottom line is that you're right, it really doesn't matter, it's a one turn earlier than it would have been, and only if Cthulhu sets it up pretty well anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Yeah, I only mentioned it because my interpretation would have been the way that you play it. That's the only reason why I remember it, is because it seemed to be counterintuitive.

It could also benefit you with Absorb for the same reason as Regeneration, but the bottom line is that you're right, it really doesn't matter, it's a one turn earlier than it would have been, and only if Cthulhu sets it up pretty well anyhow.

Since there are already a small number of things that are "anytime" (revealing elder tokens; Windwalker's requirement, etc.), Sandy has said many times that, when you achieve your spellbook requirement, you immediately get it. That's why we play it the way we do with this particular Cthulhu/regeneration situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with that. You may want to change the official FAQ though, especially if that's the way Sandy wants it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Since there are already a small number of things that are "anytime" (revealing elder tokens; Windwalker's requirement, etc.), Sandy has said many times that, when you achieve your spellbook requirement, you immediately get it. That's why we play it the way we do with this particular Cthulhu/regeneration situation.

I dunno, it seems better that you have to have them when combat occurs, rather than being able to use them in the same fight you earned them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.