Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the game but watched 2 reviews. Both complained about the randomness of the die roll.

The idea:

Give each player 6 cards (1-6). On your turn you play a card. Once youve used them all, you get them back.
Or you skip a turn to take all cards played so far back into your hand.

Or: Every player just gets 6 energy per turn. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
I have not played the game but watched 2 reviews. Both complained about the randomness of the die roll.

The idea:

Give each player 6 cards (1-6). On your turn you play a card. Once youve used them all, you get them back.
Or you skip a turn to take all cards played so far back into your hand.

Or: Every player just gets 6 energy per turn. Done.

You may or may not be referring to my review, but I will say this: Sweet Jebus, either of those would be MUCH BETTER changes. I mean, having an automatic six energy is kind of insane, but it would certainly make games more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Each player takes a second die which indicates their current energy.
On the first turn, they roll for their initial energy.
Each turn thereafter, their energy decreases by one (rotate the die to the new level).
Once you pass '1', it rotates back to '6' and continues from there.

As an option, each player starts with (7 - their initiative roll), so the player that goes first starts with the least energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use 2 D3 or 2 D4.

That way you get a bell curve distribution of energy values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant discussed tonight over this very matter was:

-Give each player a base 3 energy per turn.
-Roll the white die and place treasure as usual.
-On a 1-3 add 1 energy
-on a 4-5 add 2 energy
-on a 6 add 3 energy

With this system, you still have a 1/6 chance of getting 6 energy but much higher averages. We seemed to be rolling 1s and 2s all night and it was hard to do anything. With this variant, those 1s and 2s would have given 4 energy which is respectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heuer
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was concerned about this when I first read the rules and tried a quick solo playtest. (I set it up for three-handed, and the first few turns were Red:6, Green:1, Blue:2, Red:5, which struck me as being a pretty frustrating opening for everybody but Red.) But when I played a full-length game, I decided that it wasn't so bad after all -- the frustration is balanced by seeing it happen to your opponent later in the game. So I guess I'm OK with playing the rules as written.

I think what I find most frustrating about the die system is that the worst roll is so weak that even the second-worst roll is twice as good. I can think of several ways to deal with this, but for the moment my favorite (untested) idea is "If you rolled a 1, then take another turn after this one". At worst, you can move one space (or stay put) and wait to roll a 2 or higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
I've been tinkering with some of the ideas explained here, thanks all !

Right now I'm testing the idea of everyone starting at 4 APs and everyone jumping to 6 APs per turn when the 6th treasure has been acquired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Wyncote
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Roll 2 dice, take the better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Wyncote
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or give movement points separate from ability points, where movement points = 7 - die roll. Or 6 - die roll.

Or give 4 APs per turn, and allow people to store an AP for every 2 they don't use on a turn. Max storage is 2 AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
^ I want to revisit this game, I like the two-dice idea.

I've been thinking about trying to implement cooldowns as well ...

And to finish my variant including AI monsters using Cthulhu dice because that game is just a die waiting to be used and green gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Wyncote
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the idea of average of two dice, rounded up. This gives you about a 3% chance for a 1, 14% chance of a 2, 25% for a 3, 31% for a 4, 19% for a 5, and 8% for a 6.

You would rarely get stuck with a 1, but keeps the numbers near the middle of the range without a ton of 5s and 6s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.