Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Sell
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to prepare for SoB so when it finally arrives I can focus on putting minis together and get to mining for some dark stone. If anyone has their copy and a few games under their belt could answer a few questions for me?

1. What are the sizes of all the cards? (Want to get proper sleeves)
2. Is gaining/spending experience points only ever in multiples of 5? (I want to make a dial or peg board for easy tracking during a game)
3. I want to get my own tokens for gold and dark stone. How many would you recommend having?
4. Do you have any suggestions keeping track of things during game?
5. Do you have any suggestions for custom items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Hmm, since mine aren't sleeved, I can't really tell you. They are the same size as other FFP cards, like in FANG, ATOE, and LNOE if that helps any.

2. Yes ... unless you use the house rule that monster-killing XP is split evenly. We found after a number of plays that some characters will be able to kill more stuff and get more xp. Like our other RPGs, we decided to split kill XP evenly amongst the group. So, for us, XP isn't in even 5's. Although, I suppose if it mattered to us we could round to the nearest 5.

3. You'll need a lot of gold. Gold gain in the mine can get as low as 5g, I think. At the end of our mission we had a mix of people with anywhere from ~150g to ~850. Then we sold darkstone and Gear that we acquired, putting some of us over 1500g. Some items cost ~6000g, so you'll want to plan for that. So, you'll need a bunch of 1's, 5's, 10's 25's, 50s, 100s, 250s and probably 500s, to be able to handle anything from 5g to 6000g.

For Darkstone, you probably won't need more than 2 dozen, if even that many. Darkstone is too dangerous to carry a lot around, so it will typically either get used or sold every town visit.

4. Designate some roles. The person with the lantern should also keep track of the Darkness cards and Depth Track. Someone else keeps track of the Scavenge/Loot/Gear cards. Another people keeps track of tokens. Another handles the map cards/tiles and Encounter tokens.

5. One item I was thinking about a little, was a gatling gun. something along the lines of: Cannot move and fire. 6 Shots, Range 10. 3 anvil weight, 2 hands. Can only critical adjacent enemies. And, some sort of penalty to defense, although I haven't worked out what yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Sell
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Derek! So how much experience do you gain in an average adventure?

Also, still looking for card sizes or if someone has sleeved their cards what size sleeves they used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Is there an overall objective to the game or do you just level up and keep playing the same character forever or until you are bored of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Is there an overall objective to the game or do you just level up and keep playing the same character forever or until you are bored of them?

Game ends when you get to visit Mt. La Terra. It just ends because f*ck you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

No, there's not! Which is a downside for some people, not having an official campaign.
A different dungeon crawl KS which just ended, Dungeon Saga, if you got the 3 expansions has 4 different campaigns and about 80 different scenarios. Mantic is a small company too. So I'm not buying the argument that the Hill brothers didn't have the time to piece together an official campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

No, there's not! Which is a downside for some people, not having an official campaign.
A different dungeon crawl KS which just ended, Dungeon Saga, if you got the 3 expansions has 4 different campaigns and about 80 different scenarios. Mantic is a small company too. So I'm not buying the argument that the Hill brothers didn't have the time to piece together an official campaign.

I thought there was a scenario book that came with both core sets. Is that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
There is, and it provides 8? scenarios, but not an official campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the objectives for each mission different? I'd also prefer a more structured campaign, but I'm okay weaving the missions together into my own campaign(esp since all the additional mission packs can be added into it)... I just am hoping each mission feels and plays differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game where you can easily "DM" (create) your own cooperative campaign. Making scenarios, custom encounters, giving more of a story to each clue icon... I'm so looking foward to not only just playing through the scenarios but sinking my creative teeth into customizing my own while still holding true to the randomness of the encounters, maps and exploration tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a total of 12 missions in each Adventure book. 6 Basic and 6 advanced. The basic missions are the same for the Adventure Books.

So, there are a total of 18 different missions between the two core sets.

SOBs gives suggestions on how to link various missions together to make your own campaign. It does not force the players to play a particular campaign, however.

So, you have the choice of stringing missions together to make your own campaign, or you can simply play random missions each time.

It is pretty easy to string missions together based on the previous mission and its outcome, and what the players want to do.

Yes, the objectives for each mission is different. Each mission also have some different rules/restrictions for gameplay or map set-up. There is a mission to rescue a kidnapped townsperson. There is a mission to escape the mines, where the Heroes begin in the mines. There is a mission to 'fully explore' a mine, which has rules reducing the number of exits and has a 'boss' fight in each dead-end room. Etc. So far, every mission I've played has played and felt very different than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Voss
msg tools
The cards measure 2½ by 3½ inches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.