Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: This thread is one of a series to address rules questions about Mars Attacks. The questions, which are asked to either seek clarification or to confirm an assumption, are sorted into different threads so to help provide focus and to aid with future searches. And quite frankly, some questions are pretty picky. This is on purpose as they’re posted in the spirit of helping to populate the FAQ/Living Rules which I’ve heard is in the works. Of course, it’s hoped that Mantic will be able to provide the “official” answer here as well.

Question:
For scenarios 1-4, and 8: The instructions say to use 8 Critters and Alien Secrets counters. How many of each? It’s naturally assumed to be four of each. Correct?

EDIT (Oct 2, 2014): SOLVED. I just realized the answer to this question. After some time away from the rulebook, the rules for this are now suddenly clear. Page 30 is clear how to setup the counters: It says to shuffle all the counters then randomly place as many as required by the scenario. (Emphasis on "all" is mine). This means to shuffle all ten counters, then for instance if you're setting up scenario 2, place 8 of them. It's that simple. Don't know why I didn't read it this way earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before posting all these, you did check the FAQ over at quirkworthy.com?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Before posting all these, you did check the FAQ over at quirkworthy.com?

Good question, but yeah, that's the first thing I did after jotting down all my questions. There are two questions asked there which are similar to two of mine (moving a model instead of a Scared Civilian, and Rapid Fire), and only the Rapid Fire question is the same.

But I asked the Rapid Fire question here on BGG again as I didn't see an official answer on the Quirkworthy site (just some people guessing), and also for it to be exposed to more people (here on BGG).

About the "official answer" thing... as this game doesn't yet have an experienced player base, I'm really hoping that Mantic provides the official answer to these questions (at least to those they feel are good questions) Normally I'm comfortable with an experienced player base answering rules questions, or by people who are smarter than me (which could certainly be the case with some of the questions I asked here on BGG!)

As I mentioned in the header, I've heard that Mantic (or the designer) is working on a FAQ/Living Rules. Thusly other than my normal selfish reasons of wanting to learn the answers to these rules questions, I also want to help provide some meat to pick from, for the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You beat me to it with your answer :-)
The living FAQ should be getting attention soon now that Dungeon Saga kickstarter is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
How many Critter and Alien Secrets Tokens are in the game?

If both have 4 or 8, the answer is easy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are five of each.

And since there are more than four of each, I guess my point is that while four of each is naturally assumed, why not make it clear with a simple update in the Living Rules/FAQ?

Who Knows? Perhaps a scenario is intended to have five of one and three of the other? Of course not likely, but who's to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

There are five of each.

And since there are more than four of each, I guess my point is that while four of each is naturally assumed, why not make it clear with a simple update in the Living Rules/FAQ?

Who Knows? Perhaps a scenario is intended to have five of one and three of the other? Of course not likely, but who's to say?

If there are 5 of each and you put on the map 8 critters and 8 Alien Secrets. So it could be only 4 Critters and 4 Alien Secrets, nothing else.

If a scenario want 5 critters and 3 Alien Secrets, it should be mentioned. 4/4 is the only logical option as long there is no expicit information provided.

I'm think about a scenario with 5 critter tokens and 1 A.S. token.
The martions search it to let not the humans have it and humans want to use it against the martians. And the Martians get no VP's for critters this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was looking at the designer's blog (Quirkworthy) and came across this instruction for placing the Critters/Secrets Counters, from an early version of scenario 2:

[i]"◾Shuffle the 10 Critter and Alien Secret counters face down. Then, using one dice for rows and another for columns, randomly place 8 of them, one at a time, on the board (see page 9). Put the remaining 2 counters to one side."[/i]

So while the above doesn't change the logical conclusion we're left to draw from the current version of the rules (to use 4 of each), the above does demonstrate that it wasn't always his intention to use 4 of each.

The excerpt above is the sort of clarity that I'd welcome in the rulebook. I wonder why it was taken out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

I was looking at the designer's blog (Quirkworthy) and came across this instruction for placing the Critters/Secrets Counters, from an early version of scenario 2:

[i]"◾Shuffle the 10 Critter and Alien Secret counters face down. Then, using one dice for rows and another for columns, randomly place 8 of them, one at a time, on the board (see page 9). Put the remaining 2 counters to one side."[/i]

So while the above doesn't change the logical conclusion we're left to draw from the current version of the rules (to use 4 of each), the above does demonstrate that it wasn't always his intention to use 4 of each.

The excerpt above is the sort of clarity that I'd welcome in the rulebook. I wonder why it was taken out?

I think the main reason is, they did some playtesting and thought it is unfair to get different amounts of tokens.

I still think it is only necessary to give extra instructions if there are different amounts of the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

SOLVED

My post above turns out to be exactly how the rulebook reads after all! It's amazing how coming back to the rulebook after taking some time away suddenly clears-up some things. And that's the case with this rule.

Page 30 is clear on how to setup the counters: It says to shuffle all the counters then randomly place as many as required by the scenario. Simple as that. (Emphasis on "all" is mine).

This means to shuffle all ten counters that come in the box, and then for instance if you're setting up scenario 2, randomly place eight of them. [The other two go back to the box without being shown]. I don't know why I didn't read it this way earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.