Subject: Final and polished version of Dition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lisandro Iaffar
Argentina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
(Since I submitted the game for the first time, I made exactly 40 editions to the original post, so I figured it made sense to publish it again.)

DITION

Characteristics

The essential idea behind the development of this game was to create a mechanism that would allow literally infinite possibilities of development, always keeping the maximum simplicity of the game, while keeping to the minimum the dimensions of the board. Ie not wanted to achieve a very large number of possibilities via increasing dimensions of the board, but actually achieve infinite number possibilities with finite dimensions. I am aware that the property of "infinite possibilities" does not necessarily imply a high degree of complexity. Analyzing the subject I found that a way to achieve endless possibilities in a space of finite dimensions is eliminating the mechanics of boxes and introducing another type of metrics.
I was essentially inspired by the game of chinese origin here known as "GO" which is characterized by extremely simple rules and at the same time maintaining a high degree of complexity. The dynamics of this game is quite similar to the GO, share many aspects, and in fact the purpose is similar, and yet at the same time, they also differ substantially in many aspects. This will be understood by analyzing the rules of the game.
The rules were analyzed consistently with certain typical aspects of war.

The name of the game derives from the Latin expression for the word "dominion / control".

Equipment

Pieces:
The pieces are circular and its diameter is d, with a thickness that allows its easy handling. These are characterized by that each of them defines a circular domain around itself whose perimeter is at a distance D from the perimeter of the piece, where D=3xd. Each piece has one side painted white and the other black (like in Othello), and each player may chose one side (color) to play. Both sides have in the center a gray circle (its just decorative), whose diameter is equal to d/4. For a piece of a specific color, the domain of another piece of the same color will be an allied domain, and vice versa.
As in the GO, it is assumed that virtually there is an infinite supply of pieces.

Board:
The board has two concentric squares: the peripheral (whose side is equal to 20xd) and the central (whose side is equal to 20xd-2xD=14xd). The peripheral defines the playing area, and the central only serves as a visual aid to comply with the rule of "appearance". The peripheral also defines a domain, which is precisely the domain that is delimiting the central square. This domain is neutral.

Rods of Measurement:
These rods only serve to facilitate the verification of the distances between pieces (That is, to say if a piece is contained in the domain of another piece -then the "vice versa" is implied-). Their use is not mandatory, they are just a tool to avoid uncertainty.
The rods (one for each player -o the same for the two in a rigorous case), will be of a length equal to D-d=2xd . Thus, the measurement is accomplished by placing the rod over the two respective pieces, and may mean that the pieces are at a distance of 2xd or less (in practice it will always be less) between them if the rod is supported by both pieces (given this case, then a piece contains the other in its domain and vice versa). This will always ensure a secure measurement. Because of this, it is more practical for the rod to be as follows:

Rules

- Start: At the start of the game the board is empty. Black plays first. Then both players play alternately. In his turn, a player must make appear a piece in an empty space on the board, abiding to the rules listed below.

- Appearance: A piece appears contained in an no-opponent domain.

- Disappearance : A piece disappears contained in an opponent triad.

- End: When one of the players makes a "suicide" move, the game ends, and that player loses.

Notes about used terms:
Note 1: see the descriptions of the pieces and the board to understand the definition of "domain".
Note 2: the area resulting from the intersection of at least three allied domains is called "triad".
Note 3: it is said that a player makes a "suicide" move when he makes appear a piece in a place where it is contained in an opponent triad, and since this move does not make opponent pieces disappear (then, only that allied piece disappears, by the rule of disappearance).
Note 4: it is said that a player makes a "sacrifice" move when he makes appear a piece in a place where it is contained in an opponent triad, and since this move makes one or more opponent pieces disappear (then, that allied piece and the respective opponent pieces disappears, by the rule of disappearance).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considerations on the Rules

All considerations below are not written as "additional rules"; but arise entirely from the analysis of the Rules of the Game. None of the rules have exceptions to any situation. Heeding the rules, you will find that any apparent ambiguity is removed. Here, I take the trouble to explain and help to ensure the correct interpretation of them and avoid disputes:

The rule is clear, the piece must be contained in an no-opponent domain to appear; it is irrelevant if in that the area where you want to make appear a piece is also covered by one or two opponent domains. If they become three, the same criteria applies, except that in this case, if such action does not eliminate any opponent pieces, it will be a "suicide", and the player who makes that move lose the game.

What is said in the first paragraph also applies to notes listed after the statement of the rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisandro Iaffar
Argentina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Please let me know if this second publication is not permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisandro Iaffar
Argentina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Today, Dition was tested by friendly volunteers during a gathering of creators of  video games and board games on the campus of the University of Blas Pascal in Córdoba, Argentina. The results were very positive! The game caught the attention of those present. The game proved to be perfectly playable and proved also to be dynamic. Interestingly, two opponents finished each with a theory about what would be the "stronger" strategy: the "mass" or "grid" (as they called them heheh). Unfortunately there was no more time to test these two theories, but will be tested in subsequent encounters. One attendee even proposed to make a digital version of the game! I am waiting for the results. It was a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisandro Iaffar
Argentina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Some pictures of the journey:

I am the most handsome (Yes, the one of the blue jacket ...obviously...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisandro Iaffar
Argentina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I must thank the "Club de Juegos de Córdoba", for kindly offering me a place to show my game at one of their meetings of board games, in which I could get in touch with Emmanuel Cesar Rubio, creator of "Héroes de Leyenda" among many other games. Emmanuel invited me to the encouter of creators of games where the game could be tested for the first time. This is not a "thanks for receiving the Oscar", it is simply a recognition to the goodwill and willingness of some people who, without even knowing me, spent a significant part of their time in me, regardless of whether my game turns out to be good or not. It is always a pleasure to meet such people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.