GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,129 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » General

Subject: As a Mastermind trying to tell a story... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoosuk Choi
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just finished my first session of Tragedy Looper. My girlfriend and I floundered our way through the first 2 scripts and while enjoyable in a puzzle-y way I didn't get to tell the nifty stories with the scripts that I thought I would be able to.

There seems to be a very limited amount of information you can give the Protagonists and sometimes I find myself wanting to give a little more story line than "something bad happened and your loops is over". However I don't want to ruin the deduction by basically telling them which plot I'm using. Part of me realizes that this will be alleviated somewhat once I am more familiar with the pieces of the puzzle and know what information is critical to the deduction in the game and what I can throw in for flavor, but maybe this is just not in the nature of the game.

I guess the question I have is for those who have "mastered" the plots. Is there a way to deliver a thematic story in bits and pieces during the various loops and incidents or will it always be forced to be a dry telling of events with a big reveal of a story at the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. If there is something that should be clear to the protagonists, for example that there is a key person, you can say this when he or she dies, but it is probably more fun for them to figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Latshaw
msg tools
I like adding "flavor texts" when you resolve the cards or use your abilities. Also naming the characters might help if you plan on doing this.

Moving Shrine Maiden to the school: "Sakura (the Shrine Maiden) finds a strange note telling her to go to the school if she wants her loved ones to remain safe."

Adding a paranoia to the Police Officer: "Walking the halls of the hospital, Officer Takayoshi keeps seeing something out of the corner of his eye, but he can never focus on it."

Now that I think about it, the protagonists could do this if they wanted. "I tell Sakura that no matter what, she should not leave the shrine, under any circumstances; it's a matter of life or death."

It's not exactly cohesive storytelling amd could get repetitive over time, but it added something to our first playthrough. Also, I think as we go along and get into tougher plots, it might be easier to make a cohesive story without giving everything away; the puzzley bits will be complex enough that you can create a story around them without completely revealing them. That's my hope, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea Sky!

What names do you use? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Latshaw
msg tools
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
That's a great idea Sky!

What names do you use? whistle

I just make Japanese names up on the spot. I watch enough anime to be able to do that, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylatshaw wrote:
I just make Japanese names up on the spot. I watch enough anime to be able to do that, haha.

Yeah my anime knowledge is not great so I was hoping for a few suggestions. Sakura and Officer Takayoshi was a lot better than anything I could have come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
JAPAN WORLD CUP ROSTER
# POS Name
14 M Toshihiro Aoyama
7 M Yasuhito Endo
23 GK Shuichi Gonda
17 M Makoto Hasebe
4 M/F Keisuke Honda
19 D Masahiko Inoha
10 M Shinji Kagawa
11 F/M Yoichiro Kakitani
1 GK Eiji Kawashima
8 F Hiroshi Kiyotake
15 D Yasuyuki Konno
6 D Masato Morishige
5 D Yuto Nagatomo
12 GK Shusaku Nishikawa
9 F Shinji Okazaki
13 F Yoshito Okubo
18 F Yuya Osako
20 F Manabu Saito
3 D Gotoku Sakai
21 D Hiroki Sakai
2 D Atsuto Uchida
16 M Hotaru Yamaguchi
22 D Maya Yoshida

Just take the roster of a Japanese sports team and use and mix and match the names. This is the men's team. You could use the volleyball or the women's soccer team for some female first names.

Officer Konno or Dr. Uchida sound pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Latshaw
msg tools
Yeah, just get familiar with some Japanese names if you wanna go that route.

I think the names and flavor text could also be used to make the game a little more accessible to a group that doesn't find the dark anime theme all that enticing, something I'm afraid I'll run into on gaming group nights. Doctor Bob and Office Worker Milton could make a group that appreciates a little goofiness get into it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
mb
Put yourself in the shoes of the players, or the Protagonists. They know nothing, except that they have a limited number of days to prevent a tragedy from occurring. Being time travelers, they know when incidents will take place, but they don't know who is behind the incidents, nor do they know if preventing the incidents will help to prevent the tragedy.

Already a lot of story.

The idea is to tell less of an actually story and heighten the mood with theme, and that is mystery. Keeping things mysterious and minimalistic is a good way to get the players to start deducing what they need to know, as well as keep them involved with staring at anime faces for a solid hour or so. They're already getting invested with the characters, because they need to figure out why they're there in the first place. They're already invested in the plot, because they're trying to figure out what it is.

One way I personally do this is to avoid telling people they've lost. Instead, I simply tell them that they've been sent back to the Time Spiral: enough information to them that they've lost and now have a chance to figure out why they did, but also thematic and mysterious enough to keep them engaged and hanging on every word I say and every pause I take.

You do, however, want to keep story in mind to some extent when creating your own Scripts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.