Subject: card sleeve sleeves... are real! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently saw Pro Fit card sleeves (by Ultra) at a FLGS. Here, you sleeve this on top of another sleeve wow The idea is one of them is loose fitting, while the other's tight fitting. You sleeve them in opposite directions so even though it's not a complete seal, the entire card is covered. Water may still get in, but not as likely. This is still more protective then having the traditional single sleeve where water can spill into the opening at top.

It's still cheaper then laminating each card. Speaking of which, I was told this was done for foil cards where they can be $100 a pop, and where this sort of card tends to get damaged more easily from rubbing off and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, double sleeving is pretty common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

With respect to this, I think it's fair to ask: who? what? where? when? how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
hawk-x- wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Well, for the who... not me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawk-x- wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

It's very common among Magic players. The Pro Fit sleeves are designed specifically for Magic cards, which are not standard poker size. So good luck fitting a Pro Fit sleeve on any old game cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is pretty common among Magic players to use "perfect size sleeves" that are extremely tight around the cards and then put that card into an ordinary sleeve. Double-sleeving is especially common in older formats where people are using cards that can be worth 100$+ apiece (dual lands, Tarmogoyfs etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you planning to do with your cards? Sounds like a good idea if you want to play under water or in the jungle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to put your double-sleeved cards in top-loaders also. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone sleeve their sleeved sleeved cards?

If 2 are better than 1, then 3 must be even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

I'm sure I remember being told that 2 condoms are NOT better than 1 and will perish and split within minutes... same thing applies here? If you're someone with double sleeved cards though, I doubt you'd have much need to use condoms in the first place... safe enough already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Don't forget to put your double-sleeved cards in top-loaders also. ninja

I had mine put in acrylic blocks. They'll be good forever, but shuffling is a bitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian AssaultMarine
Poland
flag msg tools
Did that with my modern MTG deck - cards are expensive for that format so I do not see why wouldnt I. Pauper deck, cube, boardgames - one sleeve is more than enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Like the Irishman who really didn't want to father a child, so he wore three prophylactics: to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
... It's still cheaper then laminating each card. ...

What type of lamination cold or hot ?

Definitely try it on worthless/cheap cards first... but my general advice is NEVER laminate originals as lamination can be permanent.

For extra copies of playaids etc, I make a copy and then laminate the copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a friend in my casual Magic group do this recently. Turns out he wasn't protecting the cards - none of us care that much about our cards - he was protecting the sleeves! surprise

Apparently these sleeves were super-limited edition or something. That then begs raises the question of "Why use those sleeves at all?" shake

Me? All my board game cards are naked and a lot of my Magic decks are naked. Life's too short!

Edited for a misuse of an old phrase. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawk-x- wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Magic players with decks that can cost hundreds (if no thousands) of dollars to assemble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:
Apparently these sleeves were super-limited edition or something. That then begs the question of "Why use those sleeves at all?" shake
No, it doesn't. It might lead on to that question, it might ask it... it doesn't beg it. That's not what that means. And I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Yes, it is pretty common among Magic players to use "perfect size sleeves" that are extremely tight around the cards and then put that card into an ordinary sleeve. Double-sleeving is especially common in older formats where people are using cards that can be worth 100$+ apiece (dual lands, Tarmogoyfs etc.).

Magic card prices have spiraled since you last checked.

Dual lands are almost $300 a piece. The power nine are between $1500 to $5000 each. Not to mention other older cards like library of Alexandria, bazaar of Baghdad, tabernacle of pendre vale and candadabra of tawnos which runs in upwards of $500 each in mint condition.

So, a Vintage deck can run up to $20k easily while a Legacy deck is around $10k. And that is for a standard 60 card deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
jobby wrote:
Apparently these sleeves were super-limited edition or something. That then begs the question of "Why use those sleeves at all?" shake
No, it doesn't. It might lead on to that question, it might ask it... it doesn't beg it. That's not what that means. And I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself :/

Thanks for that. A quick Google and I see what you mean. Original post has been edited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.