GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Golden Ages» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a pre-production copy, played with the author.

- Game lenght is really in the 60/90 minutes range, which is good for a civilization game
- There are actually all the elements of a civ game, such as exploration, resource management, city building, war and a tech tree
- Nice system which assigns to the player 4 different civilizations, to be swapped during the game based on the current age (1-4)
- Modular board! Nice, every game has a different setup
- Of course there are Wonders to be built in order to obtain special powers
- War is available (direct conflict), yet limited and expensive. Feels well integrated in the game mechanics, you can't win by just attacking other players's cities
- Interesting mechanic which adds a bit of wandering worker placement to the game
- The artwork is what you'd expect by Alexandre Roche: very simple in style and fitting for the old ages, a bit weird for the modern ages
- For my limited experience with the game I identified at least 5-6 possible different strategies. Curious to check them in the published version
- Explaination time to experienced players: about 10 minutes, plus 4-5 for setup.

Overall, very good impressions from the game. Can't wait to play it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for telling us about it.

A few questions, if you have the time:

- Does the explorer action ("wandering worker placement") become the most common colonist action? Is that part fun? (I can't tell if I would like it or not)

- Is the artist action worth it? (early game/late game/sometimes?)

- When you do the soldier action, do you get coins for taking control of a resource (the rule book does not say so)?

- In the 4th era, is it a 'race' to end the game, or do players more likely extend it?

I think I would like the game, and I like that the Future Technology and History's Judgement cards should make it replayable, but I'm not sure if it has enough depth that I would enjoy 'moving around the map to take control of the same 4 resources' on a repeated basis.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Martin wrote:
- Does the explorer action ("wandering worker placement") become the most common colonist action? Is that part fun? (I can't tell if I would like it or not)

Actually no, not necessarily the most common.

I mean, it depends on the movement spaces available on the map (in some turns moving is not even useful). In yesterday's game for instance moving and going to the Agora (Artist move) were almost on the same level of usage.

Is it fun? Well, when you move the new map pieces are already revealed, so you do not actually "explore". Instead, positioning the colonists on edges you can use that part of the map to connect a new piece in the actual "exploration phase", so being able to reach new resources for first.

So, is this part fun? Well, it depends... i'd say that planning moving of the colonies is actually intriguing, not necessarily "fun".

Quote:

- Is the artist action worth it? (early game/late game/sometimes?)

See before.

(yes, sometimes it seems useful, especially if you simply want to speed-up your turn and turn your capital token to gain money)

Quote:

- When you do the soldier action, do you get coins for taking control of a resource (the rule book does not say so)?

Nope, because it technically does not take control of it.

Quote:

- In the 4th era, is it a 'race' to end the game, or do players more likely extend it?

Let's say that i did not perceive an acceleration. The 4th era had a similar pace to the previous three. Of course, the "race" in this case is about obtaining the fifth row technologies, yet considering that everyone may achieve their ones it is not properly a race.

Also, during the fourth age you may seem some "weird" behaviour of players interested in achieving their secret Future Technology.

Quote:

I think I would like the game, and I like that the Future Technology and History's Judgement cards should make it replayable, but I'm not sure if it has enough depth that I would enjoy 'moving around the map to take control of the same 4 resources' on a repeated basis.

I think that - for what I tried, with limited experience on the game - the best part of it is how it actually mixes every part of a "civilizationish" experience in a 75 minute session. In this regard, moving pawns is just functional to what you need to achieve and it could not be considered over-used because there are too few moves to do in a single age. "Intense" is the proper adjective, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, you have answered my questions well.

Castef wrote:
the best part of it is how it actually mixes every part of a "civilizationish" experience in a 75 minute session. In this regard, moving pawns is just functional to what you need to achieve and it could not be considered over-used because there are too few moves to do in a single age. "Intense" is the proper adjective, I'd say.

That sounds like a game that I would want!

As for my 'explorer move' concerns, I like your "functional to what you need to achieve" description. For example, city-building in this game is simple (to make the game short, and I don't mind it) - you just find an available location and build. Then the resource functions (coins for gaining, points for keeping control) can be viewed as an added layer of variety and some complexity. And you stated that there are not enough moves to make it feel over-used. If I view it that way: move 0-2 times per era to build cities or move toward building cities, and choose the resources that gain you the most, I like the mechanic (but I'm aware that sometimes you'll take a resource just as a temporary resource - it's OK if not too often).

And I do like how the resource values in the game move you forward in history: game is valuable at first, then rock and/or wheat become more valuable, then (perhaps) gems become the most valuable.

Quick, intense civ game - wow, sounds good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
- Game lenght is really in the 60/90 minutes range, which is good for a civilization game

If it is so, it is not a civilization game!

Nevertheless thanks for the impressions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Ferrini
Italy
Castagneto Carducci
Livorno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Dave Martin wrote:

Actually, yes, you do.
If one of your colonists ends his movement on a resource, you always take control of this resource (eventually, sharing it with another player(s)).
Then, you may attack and/or found a city on the square.

Note: The Gold is taken at the end of the move, so if you attack you get the Gold AFTER paying for the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lupigi wrote:
Castef wrote:
Dave Martin wrote:

Actually, yes, you do.
If one of your colonists ends his movement on a resource, you always take control of this resource (eventually, sharing it with another player(s)).
Then, you may attack and/or found a city on the square.

Note: The Gold is taken at the end of the move, so if you attack you get the Gold AFTER paying for the attack.

Whooops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note:

A picture of the game cited in these initial impressions.

The smiling guy in the middle is the author.

Source: Gioconomicon.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Zalewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played for the first time today. I'd say your first impression are spot on. Very impressive game. Good civ feeling in very short time. Kudos to the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive impressions!
Waiting for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.