9 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: I own the 1st edition - should I look for another? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
So I recently got the English first edition, Second Printing of Twilight Struggle in a mathtrade.
Alas I only managed to play in twice so far for about 3 hours each time (still not having played to the end).

I have looked at some pictures of the deluxe edition, which seems to have taken this game to the #1 of the ranking.

So is a rather expensive version upgrade (selling old, acquiring new) worth it, if I only get to play it a few times a year?

Or is the first edition, second printing fine as it is for playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been at #1 in the rankings for years before the deluxe edition cane out. There are some not-too-hard edits to some cards and the setup from the first edition, but the first edition is perfectly playable.

EDIT: Those edits have been discussed in previous threads, and I don't want to name one if I can't name all.

OTHER EDIT: I apologize, I was mistaken about the rankings, but I'm unconvinced that it only went to #1 because of the deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estêvão
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not necessary. I also own the same edition, played some 50+ games with it so far and I am yet to feel the need to upgrade*.

If you want a rundown of changes from the first to the deluxe edition, you may find them here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/520198/differences-between-e...

* OK, I went for the Collecter's Edition on Kickstarter - but that's sheer extravaganza as this is one of my all-time favourite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
This game has been at #1 in the rankings for years before the deluxe edition cane out.

Actually, no. Twilight struggle deluxe edition came out in 2009 (check the editions entry on BGG) and it hit number on BGG in 2011. See ranking.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/775145/historical-bgg-rankin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also upgrade by contacting GMT and ordering the following (assuming they have them in stock):

Twilight Struggle Mounted Map - about 20 USD
Twilight Struggle Deluxe Card Deck - about 16 USD
Twilight Struggle Deluxe Counters - about 10 USD

So, 46 USD (+ shipping) to get the core components, which will store just fine in the original box.

(I originally owned the second edition and this is how I upgraded my set. I then put the other components in a large zipper bag along with a rules printout and was able to trade it to someone who wanted to play but didn't want to drop the $$ and didn't care about the earlier edition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
The map is functionally the same between versions, so if you're okay with the map you have (is that the one that says "Chili" instead of Chile by the way?) you don't need to order that for an upgrade. The 26$ for the cards and counters are well spent IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for the replies .
I think I will keep my edition then, until I manage to play it more often to justify a newer version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
So I recently got the English first edition, Second Printing of Twilight Struggle in a mathtrade.
Alas I only managed to play in twice so far for about 3 hours each time (still not having played to the end).

I have looked at some pictures of the deluxe edition, which seems to have taken this game to the #1 of the ranking.

So is a rather expensive version upgrade (selling old, acquiring new) worth it, if I only get to play it a few times a year?

Or is the first edition, second printing fine as it is for playing?

If you're fine with this edition, then don't bother upgrading.

There is one thing that prevents me from playing the first edition, however: The later editions controlled/uncontrolled sides to the influence markers which make it much easier to determine region dominance/control. Once you get used to that, it's almost impossible to play the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
Considering how much I enjoy TS, I'd say get the latest Deluxe edition. You can get it for less than $50, and its a worthy investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.