United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all -

Back in September 2014, there was a discussion regarding female game designers on a recent episode (#95) of the excellent podcast The Game Design Round Table. I passed my question about this on to Dirk Knemeyer, one of the show's hosts for a listener question and answer episode, and he and his co-host David Heron discussed it for about 20 minutes. I thought they did a good job tackling a complex topic that they obviously could not speak to from direct personal experience, but you can listen for yourself and maybe it will stimulate discussion here as well (the relevant segment of the show begins at 31:54).

Since then, the podcast hosts have invited a number of female game designers to the show, and you can find the list below.

FEBRUARY 2017 UPDATE: The podcast has expanded to include five hosts that will be part of the team, one of which is Kathryn Hymes from Thorny Games.

Best wishes,
~Doug

Full List of Female Game Designer Guests

Here is a list of female game designers who have been guests on The Game Design Round Table. I will endeavor to keep this list updated!

Episode #97 - Karla Zimonja (Gone Home)
Episode #101 - Kristín Guðmundsdóttir (Wanted Igor)
Episode #107 - Amy Jo Kim on cooperative gaming
Episode #109 - Susan McKinley Ross (Qwirkle)
Episode #110 - Nicole Lazzaro on the science of fun
Episode #111 - Erin Hoffman on game design and education
Episode #115 - Chelsea Howe (from EA)
Episode #127 - Meg Jayanth (80 Days) on games writing
Episode #149 - Tania Walker (and Peter Hayward) of Jellybean Games
Episode #156 - Kathryn Hymes of Thorny Games
Episode #158 - Suzanne Zinsli of Cardboard Edison
Episode #167 - Chelsea Howe and VR
Episode #169 - Emily Care Boss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Women in game design - discussion on Game Design Round Table
Just an update that Dirk and David recently had Karla Zimonja, one of the designers of the acclaimed exploration video game Gone Home on as their guest this week. Not a board game, but the discussion might be of interest to some!

~Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurel Stuart
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
I listened to the entire podcast and thought the topic was interesting and that they really sincerely talked about it. I am really hoping that sites like BGG and resources like Indiegogo and Kickstarter encourage more women (and minority groups) to try their hand at game publishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a follow-up to note that in the three or so months since the podcast episode from the original post where they discussed women game designers, hosts Dirk and David have now had five female game designers on their show.

EDIT: Please refer to the top post to see the full list.

Like the previous poster, I felt they genuinely discussed the issues and problems surrounding gender (in)equality in the game industry. It's encouraging that they have followed up this discussion with a concerted effort to make their podcast a place where female game designers and their work are now regularly highlighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
And one last one in 2014, a really interesting discussion with Erin Hoffman on games for learning and education:

Episode #111 - Erin Hoffman on Game Design and Education
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a full list of female game designers featured on The Game Design Round Table to the original post and I will keep that list updated as Dirk and David invite additional female designers onto the show.

By the way, if it appears over the course of the coming months that there are fewer female guests on the podcast by looking at the list above, that is likely not a reflection of the hosts' choices of guests and more an artifact of the fact that GDRT is moving from a weekly to a biweekly format, and every other episode will feature a guest, so that's only one guest total per month (on alternating shows, Dirk and David will be joined by occasional co-host Rob Daviau). Just wanted to point that out so people don't come to the wrong conclusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent episode of The Game Design Round Table features guest Meg Jayanth, writer for last year's lauded narrative game 80 Days. I've added this episode to the full list of episodes with female game design guests in the original post above.

Personally, I hadn't heard of the game but after listening for a little bit, it sounded like something I'd love, so I had to pause the podcast to go buy it and I'm saving the rest of the episode until after I've played through the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a couple of months late, but Episode 149 of The Game Design Round Table featured the folks at Jellybean Games, Peter Hayward and Tania Walker. Although Tania works more on the art design side of the process, I think this episode definitely deserves to be on this list.

I've added this episode to the full list of episodes with female game design guests in the original post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent episode (#156) features guest Kathryn Hymes of Thorny Games, who is doing interesting work with linguistic elements in games. The interview includes a discussion about what constitutes a game versus an "experience".

I've added this episode to the full list of episodes with female game design guests in the original post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few updates for everyone on this thread. In Episode #158, Suzanne Zinsli of Cardboard Edison was featured on the show. And then, one episode later, Dirk announced that Kathryn Hymes from Thorny Games (featured in Episode #156) was going to be joining the podcast as one of a team of now five co-hosts (along with Dirk Knemeyer, David Heron, Rob Daviau, and Harrison Pink).

Finally, all the links from posts above now redirect to the podcast's BGG page, as their previous web page has been taken down.

I'll keep the list at the top of all female game designer guests up to date, but now GDRT has a female game designer as a co-host as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hand. Cannot. Erase.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two recent female game designer guests on The Game Design Round Table - Chelsea Howe, who discussed the state of virtual reality, and Emily Care Boss on narrative role-playing games including her two-player romance RPG "Breaking the Ice". Click on the links on the top post to listen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.