Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a score tracker during the game to keep track of everyone's score instead of just tallying it up at the end? It seems to me that all the points gained in the game are public knowledge anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
areeves wrote:
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a score tracker during the game to keep track of everyone's score instead of just tallying it up at the end? It seems to me that all the points gained in the game are public knowledge anyway.

There is no core tracker only for esthetic reasons.

When the game came out they told they did not want to "ruin" the picture with a border score tracker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although we actually thought about a score tracker during the final testing phase (and omitted it in part due to esthetic reasons), we never wanted a complete in-game scoring even if a score tracker had been available. It would have been used only to ease the final scoring, making the VP tokens unnecessary.

For us, there are some non-esthetic reasons for not scoring during the game:

1) We did not want an open scoring during the game to avoid that all others players play against the seemingly leading player (as in many other games). Players should instead concentrate on analysing they opponents strategies to counter them - or to ignore them, if they wish.

2) Those many small scores that had to be tracked during the game (about 10 to 15 scores per player) take a lot of time and handling. The final scoring, although taking a significant time, is still a lot faster than the total time used to handle all those small scores individually during the game.

3) When testing the immediate scoring, many players tended to forget some of the immediate scores (especially those for funding decorations and placing dresses), resulting in wrong final scores and lots of discussions ("Did I already score this or that? I think I should have more points!").

4) We love the suspense at the end of the game when nobody knows who has won until the final scoring is done.

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www-malz-spiele.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
Although we actually thought about a score tracker during the final testing phase (and omitted it in part due to esthetic reasons), we never wanted a complete in-game scoring even if a score tracker had been available. It would have been used only to ease the final scoring, making the VP tokens unnecessary.

For us, there are some non-esthetic reasons for not scoring during the game:

1) We did not want an open scoring during the game to avoid that all others players play against the seemingly leading player (as in many other games). Players should instead concentrate on analysing they opponents strategies to counter them - or to ignore them, if they wish.

2) Those many small scores that had to be tracked during the game (about 10 to 15 scores per player) take a lot of time and handling. The final scoring, although taking a significant time, is still a lot faster than the total time used to handle all those small scores individually during the game.

3) When testing the immediate scoring, many players tended to forget some of the immediate scores (especially those for funding decorations and placing dresses), resulting in wrong final scores and lots of discussions ("Did I already score this or that? I think I should have more points!").

4) We love the suspense at the end of the game when nobody knows who has won until the final scoring is done.

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www-malz-spiele.de

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that it was thought about in detail and then made as an intentional design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Rokoko is quickly becoming one of my favorite games, and this decision, for precisely these reasons, is part of it. I explained this (from my perspective as a player) last night, so funny to read your reasoning just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Rococo today and am very excited to play. The rules seem very easy to grasp... Always a huge plus! I am a little confused about how to do the scoring. From what I understand is that throughout the game you dont take any vp markers or record score in any way, but when it comes time for final scoring, you follow the steps listed on the score card, and then u just hand out the total in vp markers after calculating for each category. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only victory points you get during the game are those from employee bonuses (ones without a red background). All other VP are collected at the end of the game. Have fun, this is a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you Mr Malz for your explanation. Makes perfect sense. Though not sure why there are victory point tokens rather than just whipping out pen and paper and adding each category.

Still my favourite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.