Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan George
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In Power Grid, players control power companies buying power plants from an auction, the resources necessary to power them from an open market and expand to power as many cities as possible for that sweet sweet electro money you’ll need to get more stations and resources, and expand into new cities.

Each turn has three steps: first, power stations are auctioned off, and each player has the opportunity to purchase one. Plants get better as the game go on and most will require fuel to operate and power cities. After the auction, players buy resources from the market where prices could possibly jump depending on what others have been buying up. Finally, you get a chance to expand your network and power as many cities you can.

Timing is quite important in the game, knowing when you sit on some cash in the hopes of getting a massive power upgrade next turn, or knowing when to expand to cover more cities than you can currently handle because someone else is threatening to move into areas you want to get to first are all key to playing.

Like most economic games, the game play is both very strategic and incredibly cutthroat. You can only buy resources you can use and you can only stockpile enough for the next turn, but it is not overly difficult to use turn order to your advantage and make the resources prohibitively expensive to those that will follow you.

At the same time, the turn order serves as a built-in way for players to catch up. Those with more cities are forced to bid first and buy last, which puts them at a disadvantage in all three phases, as the station options tend to get better and the prices tend to get less competitive as the auction continues, and costs will get higher in both resources and city expansions depending on what the other players are doing before you.

The board and pieces are great and the base game comes with two maps. My only qualms lie with the flimsy paper money that the game uses, though you can easily swap it out for a set of poker chips. For those among you looking for an uncomplicated economic euro game with some teeth, Power Grid is a worthwhile addition to your collection. I would be hesitant to say that it’s a game for everybody, but it should be for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The USA map is being played incorrectly in that picture. It has six areas in play with six players, but should only have five (although it's normally one area per player, it's 5 with 6 and 3 with 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For future reference, it's preferable to upload pictures into your BGG user gallery instead of linking to an offsite image host (which may load more slowly, and which often leads to broken links down the road).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan George
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about it while I was uploading the picture. We consciously chose to play 6 with 6. Mostly because it is extra mean, we find with 5 areas and 4/6 players were new to the game itself, so we decided to give them a little extra room to grow... and then we all crowded in on the east coast anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan George
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For future reference, it's preferable to upload pictures into your BGG user gallery instead of linking to an offsite image host (which may load more slowly, and which often leads to broken links down the road).

I've had difficulties migrating things over to the BGG gallery and this is actually a posting that was originally from my tumblr account that I have been meaning to post up for some time and finally found the free time to do so. So dead links won't likely become a problem, but I see the image formatting from external sources is not ideal and I'm trying to get my gallery up running here, its just giving me a hard time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.