Subject: Working on a Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a set of scenarios to represent the battle of Villers-Bocage (starting 13th of June). This scenario will use the Wittmann heroic platoon as well as units from the Commonwealth Army box (namely the 4th County of London Yeomanry), so those wondering when they would get some scenarios using units beside the Core box can rejoice

The battle began with a surprise attack by Wittmann in a lone tiger that took out most of the 4th County of London Yeomanry.

I have put a first draft of the scenario together.

Forces
Quote:
German: Wittmann by himself (with Fuel x3 and Veteran x3)

British: 4th CLY with the Cromwell/Firefly option as well as APC x3 and Veteran x3.

Surprise
To represent the complete surprise of the attack, I chose to start all 4 British tanks with a Suppressed marker and restricting the hand of the British player to 2 cards for the first turn.

Card Decks
Since this is vehicle combat only, the card decks are rather restricted:

No air strike or artillery cards since no unit has paid for them.

Remove the following cards from the British deck:
Quote:
All-Terrain, Battle Rage, Communication Scrambled, Confusion, Fall Back, Hit and Run, Hit the Dirt!, Precision, Return to Sender, Sneaky Shot, Speed Setup, Surprise!, Tea Time, Thank the Helmet!

Remove the following cards from the German deck:
Quote:
All-Terrain, Battle Rage, Booby Trap, Dynamic, Fall Back, Geballte Ladung, High Command, Hit and Run, Hit the Dirt!, Hitlerjugend, Precision, Relay, Return to Sender, Sneaky Shot, Speed Setup, Surprise!, Tactician, Thank the Helmet!, The Fury of the Fuhrer.

Before anyone asks, I have special rules for some of the German cards.f
- "Schnell!" so that it is used like "Advance!" adding 2 to Wittmann's move.
- "Mine" can damage a tank on a roll of 6, but then has -1 on the damage roll (minimum 1)
- "Confusion" can target any unit with a Suppressed marker, not just infantry.

Since Wittmann is an autonomous unit, I also removed the enemy-initiative affecting cards from the British deck and the friendly-initiative affecting cards from the German deck.

Once I was done with the German deck it was down to 36 cards, but I think that should be fine, since Wittmann was quite a tank ace. I am still toying with the length of the scenario, but even a max 8 turns and the German player discarding/using all cards every turn will not go through the entire deck, but certainly most of it. That seems an unlikely scenario, but is possible.

Wittman is up against double his points in enemy units, and 4 tanks to his one, although only 2 will be attacking during each phase (barring cards to the contrary). It will be interesting to see if the stats for the Tiger in HoN match the events on the 13th of June, 1944.

Edit to add:

I finished a first version of the scenario. You can find it here:
http://www.twk3e.com/HoN/BattleOfVillers-Bocage_Part1_v1.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds fantastic ... wish I had those units!

Also ... how did you determine which cards to take out? As my son and I begin to generate battles, we're wondering how Devil Pig made those "don't use these cards" choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of the scenarios, the cards removed are ones that do not apply -- if an army does not have vehicles, then cards like Repair get removed from the deck.

So in this case, I removed all the Infantry-specific cards (those that target 'infantry unit' rather than 'unit', any that deal with templates (such as grenades), since all the tanks are not using template weapons nor likely to throw grenades.

I removed all the "I can modify my opponent's Orders" cards from the British, because Wittmann is an autonomous unit so can act at any point in the turn as long as it does not interrupt another units action. I likewise removed all the "I can modify my own orders" cards from the Germans for the same reason.

Leaving any of those cards in the deck just creates a situation where someone draws a useless card, and that is never fun. A card draw may not be useful in your exact situation, but should have some potential use or it should not be in the deck.

Basically, the same principles I would use when constructing a deck in an open game

Edit to clarify autonomous unit activation and to add:

I also removed any cards such as "Surprise!" that deal with buildings. Tanks are not going to be climbing into windows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized I need a couple of more special cases.

For this scenario, I will redefine "Mine" to damage a tank (but only on a 6) and Confusion will apply to enemy units (rather than only infantry) with a suppression marker.

I figure those are better options than reducing the German deck to 33 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a chance to run through a few play-test Scenarios and made some tweaks to the scenario. It is a quick play but I think it is about even. It may be a bit to hair-trigger for some folks, but I think it captures the flavor of Wittmann's first attack very well.

Dropped APC from Wittman's unit, and gave him Fuel x3 instead.
Dropped Tea Time from the British deck.
Changed the Surprise rules so that the British player starts with 2 cards and a Surpressed marker on each tank.

Edit: I am going to have to delay presenting the file given the requirements to post a file here. Once I find a home for it I will include a link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
Sounds fantastic ... wish I had those units!

Well, on the positive side both the Wittmann heroic platoon and the Commonwealth boxes are supposedly going to be available for retail purchase so they are not KS-exclusives.

Whether you want to sink the money into the pieces is a different matter and up to you, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Scenario] Villers-Bocage (request for feedback)
If anyone else gives this scenario a run, I would appreciate an AAR here on your opinions. Also, what was the final state of Wittmann's Tiger?

I am a bit concerned that this scenario might be tilted a bit toward the British army over the German, and that perhaps the 4th CLY needs to lose its APC ammo.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.