Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played seven games of GT so far, and from the first I’ve loved this game. In the sixth game I played, one guy decided to use the IIIA board. When he’d finished building his ship he discovered he’d forgotten to add any batteries, so his ship took a pounding (he’d won the last game he played, so no excuse). But I couldn’t resist the draw to try the board out. I see some definite advantages to the ship configuration. I think the best advantage of the IIIA ship is that it needs so few 4-sided connectors, so it should be faster to build (reduces time spent rummaging for that critical 4-connector you desperately need). Another obvious strength of the IIIA ship is the narrow front it offers to cannon blasts and meteors. So last night I decided for round 3 to use the IIIA ship. The first two rounds my ships did well and I was in the lead, so I felt more comfortable taking a risk with the variant board. I found that it took a LONG time to build forward to get the guns in place, so by the time I began adding guns, all the double-cannons were taken. But I still ended up with 5-strength of guns, and a purple alien to boost them, so I felt OK in the gun department (3 guns facing forward, two on each side to protect against meteors). Then I worked my way back to the engines and I didn’t have too much trouble getting those set up. In the Adventure Card phase I right away lost my purple alien to a large meteor, and that hampered me for the rest of the cards. The Smugglers took all but one blue cube from what I’d managed to collect on Planets, but was able to make one more stop to grab a few more goods. Well, I didn’t win, but came in second. My granddaughter won, and I was glad for that since she’s not won any game for quite a while. But this isn’t supposed to be a session report. I want to know what others of you think about the IIIA ship. Strengths? Weaknesses? How has it played for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you're doing something wrong. You don't need 4-connector tiles for any ship. You can have two tiles adjacent to each other if neither has any connector facing the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And all the players should use the same ship in the same round, so if you use the IIIA ship, so must the other players. (Of course, you should agree before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like about the IIIA ship is that there are many places where you can put cannons or engines, due to the "holes" between the "head" and the "tail" of the ship.

OF course you need to preserve it with lateral lasers, or you will be an easy target for side meteors, that with some bad rolls could break it in half...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
And all the players should use the same ship in the same round, so if you use the IIIA ship, so must the other players.

"Must" seems too strong. Players could play however they agree to play. Generally, I think the III ship is going to be easier, but giving players a choice seems unobjectionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Faso74it wrote:
And all the players should use the same ship in the same round, so if you use the IIIA ship, so must the other players.

"Must" seems too strong. Players could play however they agree to play. Generally, I think the III ship is going to be easier, but giving players a choice seems unobjectionable.
I agree. Once you buy the game, you're free to do whatever you want to. I also agree that we should point out what the official rules say just so people know when they encounter another play group. If he thought using different ships was ok by standard rules, he may confuse someone when they play at a con or new game group. I had a friend who came to visit and his game group never used the timer for round 1 so he felt really rushed when I flipped the timer on him.

TLDR: House rules are ok, just remember they are unique to your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I wonder if you're doing something wrong. You don't need 4-connector tiles for any ship. You can have two tiles adjacent to each other if neither has any connector facing the other.

I understand that you never "have to have" a 4-connector, but there are times when one is the best piece for the fit. I probably lose a lot of time looking for "just the right tile" for a spot, but so far, with the group I game with, I finish first or second. (But as everyone is getting better at the game, I find I'm finishing second more often.)

We'd never read about everyone having to use the same board - we all just thought it was an option. Hardly a "house rule" - just simple ignorancelaugh. A lot more fun saying, "I think I'll try the IIIA board this time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

This is one way to handicap the game as well...give the experienced players the more challenging ships. I've had mixed experiences with the 3A ship...one time I was clearly winning, took the ship, and then got pounded and finished last with just a few credits to my name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Players choosing the ships they use is exactly how we usually play. It is all about having fun, so letting players choose is what we do.

About handicapping the ships, I personally think the best ship to handicap with is the IIa dual ships. For some reason, I stink with those so using those to handicap is perfect for when I am teaching the game.

Just my nickels worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.