Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like ideas for two families and to get gifts the five year old will be able to enjoy:
1) Family with 2 kids ages 5 and 7. They play a variety of games like Apples to Apples, Anomia, and Bananagrams, but the 5 year old can't play so they have to radically change the games or "let him win". The family enjoys music and outdoor activities as well.
2) Family with 2 kids ages 5 and 3. Don't know about their game experiences but probably more standard like Uno and Candyland.
The kids have been able to play Love Letter without great strategy as well as doing the same for Timeline.
Is Hanabi or another coop possible for this age? Maybe a dice rolling game? Love to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My four-year old and seven-year old daughters both enjoy Water Lily although the four-year old doesn't always get along with the rules -- she likes moving the frogs to the lady bug even if that isn't a "legal" move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have success with Flash Point with my 8-y.o. son and his friends, the youngest being six. The goals are straightforward, and it's possible to talk about actions and their possible consequences.

Personally, I prefer not to let my son (or his friends) win games, but rather make clear, simple variations to the rules that give them a small advantage. When playing King of Tokyo, I let the youngest player start at 12 hp so they have a little more breathing room. I call it the "young player's bonus" so that the older kids know why someone is getting an advantage and so that the youngest knows that they are being treated fairly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Walk the Dogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! Sliders
Animal Upon Animal: Balancing Bridge

Both are dexterity games, which evens the playing field a bit.

I'd also say that it depends on the maturity level of the kids, temperment, and even gender. Some kids can hardly sit still or take turns, while others are already playing chess. Of course it helps if the parents will play with and guide the kids a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Games_by_player_age
geeklists of games suitable for children by age

my suggestions:
chicken cha cha cha
monza
viva topo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two children, 8,5yo and almost 6yo and based on our experience my first choices would be some quick, easy and fun card games:

From 3 or 4 and up (my daughter enjoyed this at 3,5): Duck, Duck, Bruce. Push your luck game from Gamewright, extremely easy to learn and highly enjoyable for all ages, we must have played this hundreds of times! Would be a great choice for both families you have in mind.

From 5-ish: Sleeping Queens and Rat-a-Tat Cat. Both also from Gamewright and fun for kids and adults at least for the first 100 games or so...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pylos
Giro Galoppo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had massive success with my niece and nephew (3 and 5 at the time) playing Robot Turtles. It is hard to find, but that's the tragedy of boardgames. I might have bought 6 copies when I could

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We occasionally play games with the children (4 and 5 years old) of a couple in our board gaming group. The can pick up the mechanics of most games very quickly, so we've not been overly limited on game choices.

One thing I would take note of: games with hidden information, i.e. cards that the player must hold and choose to play of their own devices, are the games you should try and avoid. Whilst there are exceptions to the rule (I will cover one soon), a game where you can aid their choices, or at the least explain what they should do the first few times, are excellent.

The ones we play are:

King of Tokyo
They're ruthless and brutal in this game, and have learned to take being eliminated very well. Simple to learn, enough depth to keep the adults engrossed, and very, very funny.

Qwirkle
A huge hit with the youngsters and oldies alike, and very simple to learn/play. With a dominoes mechanic, the game plays smoothly and quickly, and you can let the children do the scoring to aid their maths!

Bang! The Dice Game
Another game with player elimination, but a shorter round time than King of Tokyo. Watching their eyes light up when they kill a parent is priceless. When the children have gone to bed, we bust out the full Bang! card game and have even more of a blast.

Diavolo
A quick, fun, frantic game. A slight tweaking of the rules (re-rolling the "difference between highest and lowest dice numbers" was in order, but other than that the game is one of the most fun I've played with them. Also consider another game by the same maker, Dobble / Spot It!

12 Days
A hidden bidding game that the children managed to pick up very fast, and often win. Great theming and mobile. Can be played anywhere. It has hidden information, but they took to it like a duck to water.

Forbidden Island
A perfect complexity co-operative game where the first couple of plays you'll be explaning what they can do, and from then on they'll be giving you pointers! With all information out on the table in a co-operative game, you can help with their decisions without feeling like you're "cheating" or going easy on them.

I hope you manage to find what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sorry Sliders, Viva Topo and Monza

The family with the seven year old might have fun with another party game, as that is what they are playing. I have had success with Dixit for kids this age. It is a good one for playing with different ages. As far as cooperatives, Castle Panic is an easy one, especially with the full complement of players. ( you can give everyone an extra card if the game is too hard as well). Forbidden Island would also work. Kids like winning cooperative games, and I would suggest Forbidden Island over Forbidden Desert because it is easier.

For the Family with the 3 year old, if you are looking for games everyone can play, Viva Topo or Monza might work. Also, peaceable kingdom's cooperative games are good. Look at Lost Puppies. Or the classic family pastimes games Max or Caves & Claws. Rory's story dice are also always fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.