GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,198 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Beastmaster: Animal Kinship Aggro? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So I was dueling the husband and his Priestess with my Beastmaster and had summoned a variety of creatures: bobcat, fox, Tegu, bear later on; looked like I was going to use pack tactics, but then I dropped an Animal Kinship and started going after the Priestess myself. The switch threw him off guard for a turn and was pretty successful.

Has anyone else used Animal Kinship (plus some equipment and maybe an Enchantment or two) to buff up the Beastmaster himself and then go mano-a-Mage-oh? Also has anyone tried dropping multiple Animal Kinship totems? Is it worth it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a 'fast' mage a while ago (can't remember which one) and decided I would buff up my beastmaster and charge in. It was a mistake, I got beaten and I probably wouldn't do it again. Glad it worked for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a Tank build on the Beastmaster... once. It's not very effective.

I would rather go "all-wings" and Fox-spam along with Call of the Wild staff, so my Beastmaster would play in a deep position rather than facing the opposing Mage.

Also, Tank tactics are not very good if your opponent reads them. Once he/she sees that you're "tanking" a Mage he/she will drop a defender and use Guard all day long. It can work one turn like in this case, but nothing more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience with Animal Kinship. It's actually been over a year since I played the Beastmaster myself. I think if you have at least a cat and one of the other animal types, then it is well worth the cost to put one of these down. Two is much harder to justify, however, as the awesome Elusive ability does not stack. Only the Melee +1, Armor +1, and Tough -2 traits would stack, and unless you are getting all three of those, it's not worth the cost to put down another such totem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
Also, Tank tactics are not very good if your opponent reads them. Once he/she sees that you're "tanking" a Mage he/she will drop a defender and use Guard all day long. It can work one turn like in this case, but nothing more.


Of course, Animal Kinship with a cat gives you the Elusive ability, so guarding doesn't have any effect against it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Zub3ri wrote:
I don't have much experience with Animal Kinship. It's actually been over a year since I played the Beastmaster myself. I think if you have at least a cat and one of the other animal types, then it is well worth the cost to put one of these down. Two is much harder to justify, however, as the awesome Elusive ability does not stack. Only the Melee +1, Armor +1, and Tough -2 traits would stack, and unless you are getting all three of those, it's not worth the cost to put down another such totem.


Yep, I figured that having an Animal Kinship up made a fox and a bobcat valuable as a buff for me Beastmaster, as well as being able to replace them really fast if I had to. Animal Kinship costs 8 mana and if I have a fox, a bobcat, and a tegu up it gives half a Bear Strength(5 mana), half a Rhino Hide(5 mana), and a Mongoose Agility(5 mana).

If I had the time I would summon a bear, too, but more for his attack dice than the equivalent of a Colossus Belt, though I haven't run against a Daze heavy build yet, so maybe that Tough might come in handy.

And yeah I don't know if the second one is worth it either, since I'd only really be getting it for more Melee and Armor and spending 8 mana for one more of each seems expensive.

Still I found it pretty helpful that my creatures were not only attacking and guarding me, but also providing me with passive buffs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
I've tried a Tank build on the Beastmaster... once. It's not very effective.

I would rather go "all-wings" and Fox-spam along with Call of the Wild staff, so my Beastmaster would play in a deep position rather than facing the opposing Mage.

Also, Tank tactics are not very good if your opponent reads them. Once he/she sees that you're "tanking" a Mage he/she will drop a defender and use Guard all day long. It can work one turn like in this case, but nothing more.


What do you mean by a tank build? Saying a tank build to me means armoring up and making your mage incredibly tough, so you can tank a bunch of damage, but that's not what I'm getting from the rest of your post. My Priestess stacks armor and uses Veteran's Belt, but I don't rely on her to deal a lot of damage. If you meant a solo build, why would you ever do that with a Beastmaster, and why would it be relevant to Animal Kinship builds? If you meant plan where your mage is on the front lines and attacking things, the Straywood Beastmaster is pretty good at that. There are plenty of ways to deal with guards, and you'll have other creatures, so even if you bash your way through the guard, you should be able to land some attacks unless they play a bunch of guards (which is what Elusive is for).

@Zub3ri

I agree that it's not worth playing more than one Animal Kinship in most cases. I would rather play another creature so that it will be harder to deny my Animal Kinship bonuses and so that I will have more threats on the board. Further enhancement of the Beastmaster is generally better carried out with enchantments and equipment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chief
msg tools
I would just like to add that ones academy comes out, the idea of animal kinship should work better. You'll have more cheap cat's and a cheap bear (cub). I think daze and other effects are going to become more used in the future, so a bear (cub) may be usefully.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Werekingdom wrote:
I would just like to add that ones academy comes out, the idea of animal kinship should work better. You'll have more cheap cat's and a cheap bear (cub). I think daze and other effects are going to become more used in the future, so a bear (cub) may be usefully.


Not only that, but there's also a level 1 Reptile, the Darkfenne Asp. I'd probably also switch out half of my Bitterwood Foxes for Wychwood Hounds, they have really nice synergy with Redclaw if I want to switch to the wolf pack strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.