BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games rated under 7 that you've rated 8+ and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any games you've played that are average user rating under 7 on BGG but to you they felt like gems? What made them so special for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, of course.
At rating 9 I have these two:
Cheating Moth - average rating 6.68, this is an absolutely brilliant UNO-like game. Yes, I just used brilliant and UNO in the same sentence. The way how you try to pinpoint the precise moment when the guard player's attention isn't on you and use that moment to drop a card is just great.
Ergo - average rating 5.66, Ergo is one that is for a very niche audience - it's a game about propositional logic, which most people are not familiar with. And it's the most brain-burning game I've ever played, by far. Complex propositional logic formulas can be like that.

And at rating 8 I have a few more:
Coloretto - average rating 6.99, this little filler barely slips under the bar you've set for this thread. It's nice, simple, colorful and does its job as a filler very well. Plus, it works with five people.
Alcatraz: The Scapegoat - average rating 6.65, Alcatraz is one of the meanest games I've ever played. It's sort of a co-op where you are trying to escape the titular prison before the security is increased to the point where escape is no longer possible, and you manage to put together and implement an escape plan step by step. But here's the kicker - no matter what you do, one of the players will be the titular scapegoat and remain in prison when the others escape. Your job, naturally, is to not be that unlucky one.
Ricochet Robots - average rating 6.99, Robots also just barely slips under the bar and into this thread. At its basic level, it's a pretty good brain-burning game, though despite its simple rules an experienced player will brutally curbstomp any new players. But sadly the basic level got old for me, so I and several other local players ramped up the difficulty to the point where it's not long until steam comes out of our ears when we play. It's that brain-burning.
Tsuro - average rating 6.68, Tsuro gets a high ranking from me because of how simple it is to get to the table, teach and play. It's probably the first game I'll pull out to show someone who's entirely new to board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwixx because it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Lord of the Rings: I have played this a lot with two of my friends from school and we still play it when we happen to meet together. I think this is still a very solid coop game. But if I would be introduced to it today and would not have a veteran group to play it with, I might rate it lower. Pretty much the same is true for Starfarers of Catan, but I only rate it a 7.5, so it is technecially not qualified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Edit: wrong scale used! see below for correct list.)
(title, avg rating, comment)
18EU 6.164 My first 18xx game, well, what should I say: 18xx is awesome!
Taluva 6.978 My fav. abstract game. A very clever tile laying game.

On the rest: Maybe I should rethink some of my ratings
Power Grid: Factory Manager 6.798
Scrabble 6.298 high level if skill
Zooloretto 6.805 good theme,...
Hamburgum 6.805 don't really know
Il Principe 6.127 don't really know

The above list has been based on the "geek rating" by mistake.

Taking the real avg. rating:
Il Principe
Zooloretto
Scrabble
Fabrikmanager
Cluedo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Dalmuti is rated around 6.5 but I have it at 8. We have just had so much fun playing this as a drinking game down the years. The only thing that stopped it being a 9 or 10 is that, without alcohol, the game is rather mundane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and Phantom Leader. I judged them based on what they are to me and that is some of the best solo fun I've had. For Onirim I gave it extra points for the small scale factor and footprint, making it ideal for train rides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Both have average ratings above 7. If you have a good, but not widely known game, the geek rating will quite likely be below 7 due to the dummy votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Hell! - BGG : 6.17, me : 9
We've been playing this game with the same bunch of guys for over 30 years and have all become very good at it.

Wrong Chemistry - BGG : 5.733, me : 8
I've had people requesting to play this game time and again - plays great with 2 and 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Origins: How We Became Human average 6.78, my rating 9.
Like most Sierra Madre Games, Origins is unapologetically heavy, deep, unbalanced and subject to the vagaries of fate. But as a thought-provoking simulation of human mental and cultural evolution, it is unprecedented in its scope and outlook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Beach
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rated Coup: Reformation as an 8. I feel like it addresses a lot of the problems with Duke Claiming in the base game and makes a good attempt at fixing the end game with the Inquisitor.

I rated Fleet 9.5 because its just so much fun. I have a blast playing it. It has great interaction through the auction and the DFO, the decisions are plentiful, and it plays very quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
smithlucas wrote:

Both have average ratings above 7. If you have a good, but not widely known game, the geek rating will quite likely be below 7 due to the dummy votes.

Oh, you are right. I have taken the "Geek rating" (that is shown at a your collection page) for all the games.whistle
Obviously there seems to be a difference. Do I have to look up the avg rating for every single game I own then? How to progress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Origins: How We Became Human as a thought-provoking simulation of human mental and cultural evolution, it is unprecedented in its scope and outlook.

Not something I personally look for in a board game but, interesting choice.

Loving the 6.99s !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
smithlucas wrote:

Oh, you are right. I have taken the "Geek rating" (that is shown at a your collection page) for all the games.whistle
Obviously there seems to be a difference. Do I have to look up the avg rating for every single game I own then? How to progress?

When you list your collection (or games rated) you can select which column should be displayed. There is a button "columns" on the upper left corner of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown :: This has the look and feel of a more detailed, strategic game but its very easy for newcomers to pick up and enjoy. Its actually the only game I keep in my car at all times, just in case, for that fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give Dreidel a 9 because I've played 17 of the top 20 games here and not a single one has given me candy and I doubt the other three do either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark angel
United Kingdom
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Riding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strada Romana- Very nice looking board. It is light but has more depth the more familiar you get with it. Missed the buzz as far as euros go as its a kind of intro euro game that I think experienced euro gamers did not realise. Think its at 6.2. Should be higher in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guildhall - really fun game that is really innovative with the set collection mechanism. Everyone is going nuts over Abyss, which if you look at the mechanics is strikingly similar to Guildhall. (As you build your sets they have special powers but you end up cashing them in for points and lose the powers). Guildhall is cheaper, and might actually be the better game minus the art.

Hawaii - just made the below 7 cut. This is one of my favs and plays great online at Yucata and Boardgamearena. I rate is a 9.

Legacy Testament of the Duke de Crecy - Another one of my favorite games that didn't get the hype but is a very fun worker placement game with some innovative and very thematic ideas. I like how you create a family tree you just need the table space to do it. Deserves more attention.

Paperback - still pretty new but I think people will keep hammering this gem down because they don't like word games. I don't like word games, but this one I can play and enjoy. Very rare.

Fauna - I don't like trivia games. This one is really interesting though because even if you are not sure, you get to make an approximation that can get you points. You can concentrate your guesses or spread them out. There is a lot of strategy to placing your guesses which is really innovative.

Smash up - I just like the game. All of the possible combos with the cards make it interesting.

Tournay - Great game. Very overlooked and pretty cheap to pick up. Can be played on boardgamearena which is a plus. I like games with card powers. The icons really caused people problems, but they are not really difficult to understand with a player aid. Once you get them you don't need an aid sheet.

Ascension - Everyone copies this game when making deck builders but it's rated under 7? Go figure.

The Duke - excellent abstract game. Abstracts get low balled usually so I understand why it's below a 7.

Eminent Domain - But only with the expansion. Without it, it's probably worthy of the bgg rating.

This completes my collection survey. Have a nice day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve got several games that I’ve rated an 8 or more that are rated as kids’ games, so I’ll leave those out of this. Other than that, I’ve got 4 fun short games rated 8+ that are rated < 7.00 here on BGG. I think the common theme with all 4 is that they all play really well with non-gamers:

Walk the Plank – Super fun, super light pre-programming game. I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve played it.
Incan Gold – My favorite push-your-luck game
Coloretto – So simple, so fast, but there are still good choices to make
Magical Athlete – Probably wins the title of “Dumbest Game I Inexplicably Have Fun Playing.” Actually, I really like the draft/market mechanism at the beginning of the game, as well as secretly selecting the characters at the beginning of each race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble. Someone thought that up. What a large game.

Keltis. Fast and fun. The perfect ratio of luck and skill and tension for something light like that. It looks nice with all of the green. I was told I did not need it if I had Lost Cities, played it, and then laughed and laughed and laughed. So funny. Sorry, my wife and I are more specific and picky than that. I found two ways to play accidentally and probably will develop more variants to tweak it. It just doesn't feel like the card game and looks better than the American board game.

Metro because I make 'em train cars go and with two players it is not always so random how they go.

Oregon because it was far more heady and difficult to manage than Carcassonne and it showed me an interesting challenge I would enjoy taking on in the future. The scoring exercises get a bit deep and ridiculous in this for the right person behind the wheel. It has animals too. And grid placement is an absolutely horrible mechanic that it actually made fun. It deserves my respect.

Traders of Osaka because what you buy makes them move. So you buy at the right time, and scheme and plan and the zero sum thing is kind of fun in this one. Should it be that much fun? Plus this thing is sleeved and oh so pretty with the bright colors. Still hard for me to play well so yeah. Good enough.

Nefarious simply for the we tweak this game this way and the next a different way. Very nicely done. A gimmick to best all gimmicks and it feels smooth. That can't have been easy to pull off.

Queen's Necklace mainly for the bidding rounds. The buying as much as possible thing is okay. Some of the action cards feel like noise with two players and that is part of why Quilt Show trounces this one, but a lot of the core game still tickles me greatly in that devious bragging "really play the other player way".

Industrial Waste because your positive cause has a negative kickback to manage and you can have potential and some economic elements are lightly treated. Quick too. Good with two with our devised variant.

Sunrise City because it is clever. The chaos is fun yet I have demonstrated and seen that this is not as random as a whole lot of people would say it was. I have made it happen on purpose through really good guessing and through setting so many up on the edge of success that my opponent could not mess them all up and besides my opponent is dealing with all of that. I love, love, love all of that and see the game designer of this is a definite game design genius. I really, really, really like that it uses skills I have developed throughout my entire life. Because I needed something helpful going my way. And I really like how to a lot of you all it is so random, and so uncontrollable, and irritating, and how you probably aren't as good as me. I kind of like that a lot of you all don't see that it is good and not too random. The skills needed to succeed: educated guessing, zero sum play, and planning amidst chaos plus the obvious distaste for the game (15 recently in an auction? heh seriously) make me feel special.

Fortuna uh oh. This may be too high. Watch it fall over time. Needs a repeat play.

If Wishes Were Fishes!. Cute theme. Cute bits. More gameplay and charm than Tom Vasel told me about. Kidsy and happy but obviously for older kids or adults.

Santa Cruz. Pretty. Unique. You play the other player. The bluffing I might burn you thing. The swap gimmick.

Kupferkessel Co. for it played at a more serious level until tired. A very replayable game with two. To help me work on my memory. Over and over and over.

I Go! probably too high but nosy hobbit plus guessing plus a little bit of gambling feel.

Black Sheep. Solid ego controlling poker that works with two. I like poker and the gameyness of it. Plus compared to my partner I rock at Texas Holdem but I have had more experience and enjoy it more as well. Like a fish in water as she as my opponent makes the game mechanic more casual, and then the game burns me sometimes even when I am successful. Yes! I like this. I am a gambler.

Jet Set. Build or get paid. Get paid!!! My opponent says build, build, build. Oops I am out of money. Where is my ticket to ride? We aren't playing that and you are poor! You don't got no ticket to ride because you are poor. I like to manage this and it is fair payback for having to play TTR all of those times when I could not win. She abhors it. I am freakish good at Jet Set. I know what to do. It is intuitive to me. I build em giant pulsing machine and it gets more and more apparent that I am amazing. Cause this game is an exercise in confidence for me. That is not who I am. It feels special. It feels nice. It feels so freakin' good. I get big.

The Dutch Golden Age. Because I want and need to play a game where I can set up shop and say, "hey I do nothing, but my actions for the turn start out at this price." I shopkeep this turn. Let us talk about setting up a difficult price for you, if you would like these valuable game elements in your possession to use right now. Yes, yes, yes. That, dear game maker, is obviously the right path. Chase it to the end of the rainbow!

Burger Joint because it flows. Because it is fun digging for treasure. Because this is closest out of all chit pulls probably to my style of cube management. Because Siberia was fun, and y'all that don't like it are too strict. Chit pull baby! Mmmm. I ain't strict and I am so happy to be that way. This time it is cubes not chits like Siberia. Different enough! I need it in my collection. I shall Jones theory Mr. Jones. We tell each other fairy tales like everybody wishes they were special and we are special and some of us have things called jobs and stress and we pay ourselves in the currency that we prize the most. I did. Besides. Huber went on the journey oh so deep too. Deeper than I will see. I saw his lists. I respect him. I like his style of view and see it to be different and unique from the masses, particularly the more serious types, of which he seems to be...just my kind of serious. It flowed and the fun level there eclipsed Lost Cities for me at times. It was more than enough. I defended you because I like you, not just because I like me. Besides I can write flowery too sometimes and I saw what they did and it not only made me angry at them it made me want to change some. You are all mature. Fine, but in my view you needed defending partially for my view and partially because I doubt this design deserves that side of the stick more than mine. I was the target audience. Not them. And I am not new. Thanks for not turning me in for Morels Ryan. I was dumb, out of line, and new. I rate it like you now.

Heartland for the balance and the depth versus the weight. For positional sense and building on high ground. For the look of the game. For decisions. For big scoring. For solid feeling, more solid feeling than most, game design. For the brilliance of the designer. For more of what I wanted than the Uwe games I bought, which were not me at all but were people I have met before. I didn't have enough step by step logic and analytical in me for that and would have liked more of what I find fun to go along with them but as Uwe games show, there is me and then there are different types of people. I am better at being me than trying to stretch. There are people that don't need to stretch as much and that excel at the deportment and skills required. I don't. Love Heartland though. It is up my alley.

Origin for the design I understood at first glance and wish I had thought of but am so happy that you thought of. You got it published by Matagot. So we all win. Pretty colors. Nice pieces. My kind of abstract.

Rapa Nui for the art and the oddly confusing mechanics. I enjoy trying to manage them.

Caveman Curling for the whoops and hollers and the simplicity. For being cheaper and less fussy than other dexterity games.

Siberia for the dissimilar turns and chit pulls.

Upon a Fable for being uncool, for the geeky and precious chatter, and for not sucking like Agricola. For the theme and art. For the people that don't fit in and don't want to. For the people that don't like you and aren't impressed with you all either. For me.

Madame Ching for brilliance, art, and serving y'all that don't think we as two player gaming couples matter and get to play the good stuff. You all don't get to play the good stuff unless you are us. This time. Our kind of dancing. Our kind of song. Two player dancing gives you more options and more flavor. Watch how it is done.

La Venise du Nord for the moment that a 39 dollar bin results in expensive feeling rare games for Leonard. I am in Chattanooga and I matter too. Watch me go man. I ate this game up. And I deserved it. Sometimes it is about how much you put in and how much you love it not who you are. I might not be as much, but I happen to know that this game is squarely me and because I wanted it more at the time, I deserve it as much as anyone else buying who chooses to buy games. It felt foreign, expensive, and interesting. It felt like a good decision, and I will keep it long term.

Fairy Land for the Concordia action selector and then pick them up in a lighter blind bidding package with set collection and animal artwork. You knew what I wanted. The game tweak cards are just icing.

Capek for the robots, the theme, the artwork, the who you gonna be looking like without the normal sanguine vain theme that you usually would get with this style of game. No, no. We play em manly unique looking and feeling games here and we don't wait to discover game designers. We buy games blind in auctions that you all do not want. We test them, and sometimes we see that something was just for us. Not you. We see the brilliance of Shem Phillips. We both do her and I. I see the willingness to do whatever he is into not necessarily exactly what has been successful or what you all want. He is stronger as a game designer for doing what he wanted and not what would be successful. This sounds rather opposite from the ivory dice towers' message the last day that I spent my hour with board game breakfast. Mr. Phillips trounced most if not all future take that card games, at least for us, with Capek. The sheer pulsing and fun. A full game yes, but also a very uniquely well rounded writer director offering. I want to see more of that. I have since been proven right with Cibola and knew from Plethora that this was someone to watch.

Founders of the Empire for 7 wonders style planning and push your luck plus carc. For the parts of the dice tower I loved. For all of the miami dice segments that were fun. For the happiness. For being foreign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman R4th edition and Runebound 2nd edition give the adventuring fix when needed.

WWE Raw Deal is my most played game at 4,500+ plays.

The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865, full ACW in a single session (of no more than 3 hours, 90-120 more commonly), what's not to love?

For Marvel fixes, there's Spider-Man and Marvel Heroes, both full of dice-chucking goodness.

Apart from RB (rated 8), those are just my 9 and 10 rated games that are BGG rated below 7, didn't even bother going through the rest of my 8 rated games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from a few nostalgia titles I have in my list, the main one would be Oregon. I think it's a great game, and am surprised the average is so low. The only reason I traded it is because it never hit the table thanks to playing on Yucata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon - This is one of my all-time favorite games. When a group of programmers get together to play this game, it's a riot because we all can see the types of plays necessary to combat each other. Basically, this game hits two personal sweet spots for me, even if other people think of it as a filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's the following:

Le Havre: Le Grand Hameau
7 Wonders: Wonder Pack
Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion
Arkham Horror: The Black Goat of the Woods Expansion
Village Inn
and just about all the Memoir '44 expansions

Weird. These are all expansions...

Oddly, it seems like expansions don't get the same love from the BGG community that the base games do. I wonder why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter because it's silly good fun and I like fantasy themes and co-op games.

Space Cadets because it's a co-op without alpha player problems where everyone truly has to work together. The game isn't without flaws, but it's incredibly innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.