GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Petition to let FFG know how sad we will be if they force Netrunnerdb.com to shut down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FFG have asked Netrunnerdb.com to shut down. If this makes you sad, please sign here
https://www.change.org/p/fantasy-flight-games-please-allow-n...#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sads level: very
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dryden
msg tools
What baffles me is why they're even making this decision, what are they doing that negatively affects they're IP? Are they just trying to force everyone to use CardGameDb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing its due to the blatantly-going-to-get-banned jinteki.net saying it got the images and card text from netrunnerdb. But that's a little silly, as it would have taken not too much longer to get them all from cardgamedb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
I'm guessing its due to the blatantly-going-to-get-banned jinteki.net saying it got the images and card text from netrunnerdb. But that's a little silly, as it would have taken not too much longer to get them all from cardgamedb.

Which FFG can control.

FFG was nice about letting the community use their copyrighted materials, and they set some pretty easy-to-follow guidelines for doing so. The community decided that they would just take whatever they wanted, anyway. So FFG reacted by protecting their property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Signed. Obviously, we need to see how this all plays out, but this sounds like a terrible decision by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
FFG was nice about letting the community use their copyrighted materials, and they set some pretty easy-to-follow guidelines for doing so. The community decided that they would just take whatever they wanted, anyway. So FFG reacted by protecting their property.

Where are these guidelines posted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Signed. At 419 so far. Keep it going to let FFG know that NRDB is GOOD the community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree that it's ultimately NRDB's fault. They should have distanced themselves from Jinteki.net ASAP. Jinteki.net was just a horrible idea from the start. What else did they honestly think would come of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
Wouldn't really place the blame on Jinteki.net

They may have started this, but people try this stuff all the time. Just because the legal team at FFG is using a huge ham-fisted strike that somehow got NRDB into this, doesn't mean we place all the blame on Jinteki.net

If they want to enforce their web play stance, sure, go for it. But at least take a look around and use some grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rogers
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Signed. I don't actually deck-build on-line, but I don't want to see a chilling effect on fan-sites, either. As best put by SU&SD's Quinns' response on his signature earlier today: "Because I prefer my grim, corporate-run futures to be fictional."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the petition saying "We understand FFG, it's your IP"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Go ahead and start it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Go ahead and start it yourself.

Honestly... it's tempting. Just to see how many people feel that way.
But I have more important things to do tonight...get chairs for fiancees bridal shower, go buy more FFG games... ya know.. fun things. haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the letter they sent in response to Garch, they don't want any independent deck-builders out there.

It will be interesting to see if they move against other deckbuilding sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if nothing else, maybe the petition will convince them to design the deckbuilders on cardgamedb to not look like ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
if nothing else, maybe the petition will convince them to design the deckbuilders on cardgamedb to not look like ass.

That entirely depends on the ass they model it off of. Some asses look nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How sad we'll be? More like really pissed off. Petition signed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FilthyCasual wrote:
thedryden wrote:
What baffles me is why they're even making this decision, what are they doing that negatively affects they're IP? Are they just trying to force everyone to use CardGameDb?

If companies fail to pursue possible infringements that they know about by note vigorously defending their trademarks, it can affect their ability to pursue of legal action later. This is why many companies go after seemingly insignificant infringements.

Seriously? Why do you give such opinions, when you don't see the difference between trademark infringement and copyright one? The worst thing is that others will read your comment and might think "yeah... that's right".

FFG can send C&D letter. They already did. But IMVHO they really attacking games fanbase. What's even more bad - not only scene players, but also newbies and casual ones! netrunnerdb is/was great source for netdecking. Have you tried browsing published decks on cardgamedb?

There are few places, where netrunner community is the most active. Some say Facebook, some say reddit and others may say stimhack. IMVHO it's BGG and netrunnerdb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I wanted to say is - it would be a pity if netrunnerdb had to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
It is the best site to build decks and accordingly a quality tool for an important part of the game: deckbuilding! I can't blieve this decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FilthyCasual wrote:
thedryden wrote:

If companies fail to pursue possible infringements that they know about by note vigorously defending their trademarks, it can affect their ability to pursue of legal action later. This is why many companies go after seemingly insignificant infringements.

People always say that but it's not true. You own the IP after all, you can issue a license to anyone to use part of it for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus ScratchingGeekyItch
msg tools
Signed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
"The card data and images are provided by netrunnerdb.com. Big thanks to @alsciende for creating and maintaining such a great website."

This is what it says on jinteki.net. A site which would get a C&D in the blink of an eye. Now if you were a company and saw that, of course you would attack netrunnerdb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
"The card data and images are provided by netrunnerdb.com. Big thanks to @alsciende for creating and maintaining such a great website."

This is what it says on jinteki.net. A site which would get a C&D in the blink of an eye. Now if you were a company and saw that, of course you would attack netrunnerdb.

If only jinteki.net had said "The card data and images are provided by cardgamedb.com."

That would have been like playing a Quandary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.